― Artistic Expression CritiqueBrawn and Beauty

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Brawn and Beauty

Post by Bob Yankle » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:50 pm

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I freely admit this is a blatant plagiarism of Minniev's idea, "The Beauty of Ugliness." I notice we don't have an Industrial category here, so this seemed like the appropriate place to stage this image.

We have a company in Burlington, NC that mixes stone and pine tar to create macadam, used to surface roads. It is mixed in a furnace and comes out as hot goo. I was always entranced with the door to the furnace as it looks like the Gateway to Hell. Brimstone anyone? Like Minniev, I treated the image in a rather whimsical fashion, putting a soft edge on a hot and gritty process.
Attachments
Brimstone_photoMentoris.jpg

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:41 pm

I think it's a great industrial shot, and it is indeed like looking into the mouth of Hell :devil: That must have been tough to do, too, managing somehow to hang onto detail in the not-well-lit grimy foreground yet still holding detail from white hot to yellow to orange inside the furnace! :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:07 pm

Bob Yankle wrote:If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I freely admit this is a blatant plagiarism of Minniev's idea, "The Beauty of Ugliness." I notice we don't have an Industrial category here, so this seemed like the appropriate place to stage this image.

We have a company in Burlington, NC that mixes stone and pine tar to create macadam, used to surface roads. It is mixed in a furnace and comes out as hot goo. I was always entranced with the door to the furnace as it looks like the Gateway to Hell. Brimstone anyone? Like Minniev, I treated the image in a rather whimsical fashion, putting a soft edge on a hot and gritty process.

Copying is the highest form of flattery :D

I will be posting more industrials I'm sure. I have a love/hate relationship with them, but get intrigued with the details of how they are put together, whether large or small. Part of it is my fascination with geometric shapes. And this shot fits into my "fascination" category with its arcs and squares, cylindrical figures and triangles, all fixed inside a rectangle, and wonderful complementary color and light to go along with it. Nicely spotted and captured, and well presented.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Bob Yankle » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:44 am

I am totally impressed with the brawn of big machinery and the magnificent work they are capable of producing. I may join you in highlighting industrials.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:10 am

There's beauty in some of the ugliest things if we just take the time to look. You know I love this, there's so much here, power, beauty, and story galore! I want to see more, more of this and more of everything around it. I love it! S-

- Macadam
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"