"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

― Artistic Expression CritiqueWhite on White

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

White on White

Post by Bob Yankle » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:41 pm

Not quite "High Key" but as close to it as I have been able to get. Does anyone work in this genre? I'm curious what might be done with these images to get them closer to a High Key conclusion.

For my own, personal styles, I call this LightTouch.
Attachments
LightTouch_GreatPyrenees_III_fotoblur.jpg
LightTouchDalmation_foroblur.jpg
GiantPoodle_DogShow_Raleigh_March25_2017.jpg
GiantPoodle_DogShow_Raleigh_March25_2017.jpg (219.99 KiB) Viewed 651 times

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Duck » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:20 pm

These are all great examples of high key images. I'm not sure what you are finding that's lacking in these examples. The first one is just stunning. The texture and lighting are right on. The only thing I see is the second and third image are rather blurry. Viewing the EXIF info your first was shot at 1/125 while the second and third at a noticeably slower 1/12 and 1/80. Not sure why at 1/80 it looks that blurred around the eyes and nose. Perhaps the artistic post processing had something to do with it?
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:59 am

Definitely by definition high key, and that first one is pretty much perfect! I love the outrageous bouffant in the third but agree that it seems unsharp.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Post by Bob Yankle » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:16 am

Charles Haacker wrote:Definitely by definition high key, and that first one is pretty much perfect! I love the outrageous bouffant in the third but agree that it seems unsharp.

That was taken at a distance with dubious lighting and I suspect it may have more to with my shaky hands more than anything else. It was hand-held.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:59 am

The wonderful thing about the 5D mk3 is that you can push the ISO. Don't be afraid to extend past your comfort zone to get that shutter speed up. As for distance... well, you're on your own there.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:58 am

I don't work in the genre Bob so take what I say with a grain of salt as they say...could probably do that with any of my comments. these are nicely done and I agree about the softness with 2 an 3. It appears your texture is also on the dogs, part of the impact of high key I believe is contrast so working that angle might improve, brightening the background may also add to the effect. I think however, your own effect "Light Touch" is very pleasing. I am sending by pm versions I think might be closer to the conclusion you queried.

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Post by Bob Yankle » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:01 am

Psjunkie wrote:I don't work in the genre Bob so take what I say with a grain of salt as they say...could probably do that with any of my comments. these are nicely done and I agree about the softness with 2 an 3. It appears your texture is also on the dogs, part of the impact of high key I believe is contrast so working that angle might improve, brightening the background may also add to the effect. I think however, your own effect "Light Touch" is very pleasing. I am sending by pm versions I think might be closer to the conclusion you queried.
Thank you Frank for your renditions of my Light Touch images ...... definitely brighter. I find that I ususally like to use an off-white background, perhaps even with a hint of texture, to make the white images pop a bit more. But the "ideal" I keep trying for is actually white on white, using pure white in the subject matter with just a few areas of darker off-white to give just the barest hint of a subject. This is one of those instances when I'll know it when I see it.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:25 am

The second has an artistic feel, like pen and paper, and somehow reminds me of The Saturday Evening Post images.

Also, be sure to ask Psjunkie about High-key and the amazing work posted here! Thank you for sharing! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Post by Bob Yankle » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:18 pm

St3v3M wrote:The second has an artistic feel, like pen and paper, and somehow reminds me of The Saturday Evening Post images.

Also, be sure to ask Psjunkie about High-key and the amazing work posted here! Thank you for sharing! S-

Thanks for your comments Steve. Psjunkie has already sent me his renditions of all three of these by PM. I appreciate his help.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:17 pm

Bob Yankle wrote:Thanks for your comments Steve. Psjunkie has already sent me his renditions of all three of these by PM. I appreciate his help.

I'm excited to see if it brings any changes! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"