uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Coke 3D

Post by uuglypher » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:29 am

Hi, Duck,
I’ve been away a few months and just returned to find a whole new look to pM and lo-and-behold another pM member has actually gotten into 3D stereography using monocular depth cues...YOU!

Good job, you certainly got several discernible depths in your test image: bottle to girl’s forearm, then to th3 girl, then to the back wall. Way to go!

If this is the forum where 3D stuff fits best, it’s where I’ll continue to post my monocular depth cue stereography samples. I started thinking just in terms of converting extant 2D images to 3D , but, along with a few folks of like mind have begun to think in terms of the use of monocular depth cues as just as rational a basis for stereography as is use of the binocular depth cue (lateral parallax) for traditional two-view stereography.

I’ll start another thread to illustrate a number of points supporting that thought.

Nice job on the Coke bottle image. I hope you’ll be posting more.

Best regards,
Dave

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:35 am

uuglypher wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:29 am
Hi, Duck,
I’ve been away a few months and just returned to find a whole new look to pM ...
Welcome Home! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:00 am

Thanks for the comments Dave. There were a few members in one of my local camera clubs that was interested in 3D imagery. One even had a slide rig that allowed him to shift the camera a set distance for true binocular stereo vision. The drawback was it couldn't have any moving objects. He introduced me to the red/blue shift stereo 3D creation where you had to wear those goofy 3D glasses. It was pretty cool process and he had a knack for getting great results. My attempt was less than stellar.

I have a cursory interest in creating 3D imagery so I'll try to make it a point to produce one or two every so often. If for nothing else than to keep my skill set in practice.

Looking forward to viewing yours though. :-D
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by rmalarz » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:31 pm

Wow!!! Duck, that worked well. Good job.
--Bob
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Post by uuglypher » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:59 pm

Duck wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:00 am
Thanks for the comments Dave. There were a few members in one of my local camera clubs that was interested in 3D imagery. One even had a slide rig that allowed him to shift the camera a set distance for true binocular stereo vision. The drawback was it couldn't have any moving objects. He introduced me to the red/blue shift stereo 3D creation where you had to wear those goofy 3D glasses. It was pretty cool process and he had a knack for getting great results. My attempt was less than stellar.

I have a cursory interest in creating 3D imagery so I'll try to make it a point to produce one or two every so often. If for nothing else than to keep my skill set in practice.

Looking forward to viewing yours though. :-D
Thanks for your reply, Duck.
I have tried a few different techniques of monocular cue transformation on your “coke bottle” image with, I think, some interesting and positive results. I Would not post them here or anywhere else without your explicit permission, or should I start a new thread with other images?
Thanks,
Dave

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:48 pm

uuglypher wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:59 pm
I Would not post them here or anywhere else without your explicit permission, or should I start a new thread with other images?
Thanks,
Dave
Yeah, I should probably change that message to "editing okay" since I really don't care. :)
Go for it, post it here so people can follow the thread.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Post by uuglypher » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:58 pm

8114B8B7-B77C-4807-9564-A820E50387D1.png
FA2DA5E2-3EAB-41BC-8BF9-C4B60BB522FE.png
Hi, Duck,
You certainly achieved a definite 3D effect! Way to go!

Just for comparisons sake I’ve applied several different proportional and geometric disproportional transformations on your left-eye image to induce accentuated monocular depth cue disparity in the stereo image pair. These techniques require no masking nor purposeful displacements other than those naturally consequent upon the different transformations. I’m still refining these techniques, so I would sure appreciate any who view these to please rank each transformation example as:

0 - no 3D effect
1 - slight 3D effect
2 - moderate 3D effect
3 - strong 3D effect

Each treatment example is presented as a “stereo quad”
The top pair (II) to be viewed by parallel gaze
The bottom pair (X) to be viewed by crossed gaze
(use whichever technique is easiest for you; correctly viewed, both should give the same result)

Sorry for the strange order and placement of the four stereo quads. I haven’t mastered the technique of properly downloading images, I guess.

Many thanks for your help.

Dave
5D1DBE02-7C0D-4CDF-98E2-F2ED08FF0586.png
C34FB29C-FE8B-48A1-908D-D0A0E137309D.png