"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

― Artistic Expression CritiqueDunkeld as as an "old photo" - for critique or experimentation

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Dunkeld as as an "old photo" - for critique or experimentation

Post by minniev » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:33 pm

Bob Malarz recently posted a wonderfully contrived photo of an old building done up in the style of a 1900-era image.

I was intrigued with it because I'd been experimenting with an alternative way to develop an image of the ruins of the Dunkeld Cathedral. Lacking Bob's skills and knowledge, I simply bumbled around doing things that I thought might work until I got to a point where I decided not to go any further, and thought I'd share it as an artistic interpretation and get feedback before doing more, or less.

I'm including the original in case anyone takes a notion to try for an antique look and show us.
Attachments
dunkeld (1 of 1).jpg
dunkeld original (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:54 pm

I think you did great! The original picture is perfectly lovely (and where I would have stopped and said yeah, good 'nuf). The "antiqued" version, well, I hope you kept some notes because it is terrific. It puts me in mind of a number of techniques, not all photographic, such as pen-and-ink, but with some charcoal blending and maybe a wash. It really works, especially in the sky, which is just breathtaking! :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:58 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I think you did great! The original picture is perfectly lovely (and where I would have stopped and said yeah, good 'nuf). The "antiqued" version, well, I hope you kept some notes because it is terrific. It puts me in mind of a number of techniques, not all photographic, such as pen-and-ink, but with some charcoal blending and maybe a wash. It really works, especially in the sky, which is just breathtaking! :thumbup:

Thank you Chuck. The ruins themselves are just amazing, and date back to the 1200s. They seemed to demand a treatment that screamed "I'm OLD". There's a lot of construction in the interior as they are trying to stabilize the ruins and not let them collapse. On the far end,there's a section that is still in use as a church.

I am glad you like my experiment. I know the basic stuff I used to get to this point, mainly a series of textures with masking, and some adjustments to contrast and color as I bumbled through. I might not could reconstruct it exactly but I could take decent aim at it :) I don't really have familiarity with the old processes, just the look I've seen in old pictures, so my efforts are pretty basic.

I'm hoping Bob will wander by and give me his thoughts too.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:53 pm

Chuck's suggestion of charcoal and pen & ink helps me understand why I feel there is such a "richness" to the work. So interesting and engaging. And part of the appeal also is because of the strong forms of the structure, light and shadows, and the tonal contrast. I love it!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:41 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Chuck's suggestion of charcoal and pen & ink helps me understand why I feel there is such a "richness" to the work. So interesting and engaging. And part of the appeal also is because of the strong forms of the structure, light and shadows, and the tonal contrast. I love it!

Glad you liked the experiment Linda. Scotland has such old structures and ruins, there are several that I may be inclined to try something like this with. Even though I'm not sure precisely what I'm doing.

Graham Smith
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Graham Smith » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:33 pm

I love it Minnie, you've got it just right. It is so much like an old Victorian postcard... and I'm not too keen on textures :D
Graham

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:01 pm

Graham Smith wrote:I love it Minnie, you've got it just right. It is so much like an old Victorian postcard... and I'm not too keen on textures :D

Thanks Graham, I know you're not a texture guy so I'm pretty thrilled to hear you approve of it. Old postcard, or those old cardboard-mounted small souvenir prints, are the look I was aiming for.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:57 am

I love the aged photo as is, but you know I love these kinds of challenges too so I thought I'd add a version of my own. I hope you like it! S-
Attachments
dunkeld original %281 of 1%29swp10-Edit1.jpg
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by pop511 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:26 pm

Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder.
Isn't this great to have so much discussion on one picture. I had to bounce from the gritty old style to what I perceive as a sepia grain look.
Perhaps the only change I would make is to correct the lean on the tower attached to the archway as it is such a vital element to the overall picture?
Ed
ed davis

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:27 am

St3v3M wrote:I love the aged photo as is, but you know I love these kinds of challenges too so I thought I'd add a version of my own. I hope you like it! S-

And you know I enjoy people trying new things with my pictures. I do like your version.