"The more we study, the more we discover our ignorance." —Percy Bysshe Shelley

― Artistic Expression CritiqueAt sunrise

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Posts: 2158
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: At sunrise

Post by minniev » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:04 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
minniev wrote:This may fit more in artistic expressions, even though it is a totally "real" scene. It has an abstract feel to it. I like it, but not for the scene, which is hard to figure out without an explanation. I like it for the colors, textures and geometry - parabolas of light, black delineated forms in a pattern. I am assuming the bird did not go across the lightbeam or you'd have showed it to us. I would definitely have to move him there to see what it might do. On several occasions I have dragged dambirds about in a frame to sit or fly somewhere I wished they'd sit or fly but they'd refused.

The second image is really lovely, I love the light in it, and the processing you have applied to bring out the delicate details and dreamy atmosphere. What do you mean about the heron not being real?


Thank you Minnie, great to have you back in the USA, even if just for a short time :) The swallows were moving so fast that even burst shooting didn't capture one in the light, but I'll double-check to see if I have an "almost" and of course I have no reservations about moving, adding, deleting for artistic expression.

I love your description of how the image appeals to you - with it being about colors and geometry! As for the heron, it is a specialty brush from Brusheezy!


It's an un-bird! I can't remember who gave them that name. It works on this image!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:33 pm

minniev wrote:It's an un-bird! I can't remember who gave them that name. It works on this image!
I was attributing the term "un-bird" to you, lol. Thanks again!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1288
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:57 pm

Linda, Love #2, especially the balance between bird lower left and sun upper right with the double border in between. Perfect tone for the scene. Would it be asking too much to want the power pole and its shadow to vanish? Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:56 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Linda, Love #2, especially the balance between bird lower left and sun upper right with the double border in between. Perfect tone for the scene. Would it be asking too much to want the power pole and its shadow to vanish? Matt

Thanks, Matt! Removing that annoying hint of civilization is a great idea :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1369
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:12 pm

I love #1! I love the strong textures of land and water and that astounding volcanic reflection. I haven't carefully read every comment so it's possible I missed something (I know you said the heron in #2 was "not real") but the one thing I might have hoped for in #1 would be the bird and his reflection in the center of the volcano, but I know he's flying rapidly across and therefore very very hard to time, and equally hard to shift over owing to background issues.

I did see some discussion about the red of the sun in the sky. I scrolled the frame up to crop it out and I think I like it better without the red, either cropped or just blotted out. I rather like the mystery. Taking it out makes the volcano more mysterious; where did it come from? :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:30 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I love #1! I love the strong textures of land and water and that astounding volcanic reflection. I haven't carefully read every comment so it's possible I missed something (I know you said the heron in #2 was "not real") but the one thing I might have hoped for in #1 would be the bird and his reflection in the center of the volcano, but I know he's flying rapidly across and therefore very very hard to time, and equally hard to shift over owing to background issues.

I did see some discussion about the red of the sun in the sky. I scrolled the frame up to crop it out and I think I like it better without the red, either cropped or just blotted out. I rather like the mystery. Taking it out makes the volcano more mysterious; where did it come from? :thumbup:


You make an excellent case for cropping out the red, Chuck! Thanks so much. The heron in #2 is stamped from a brush. Minnie and Dixiegirl from another forum got me interested in trying out specialty brushes. Brusheezy.com has free ones and I was able to install and use quite easily in PS Elements. Below is another example. Some of the birds are real, some aren't :D (edit: it just occurred to me that if I was going to try to mimic the Canada Geese, I should have made the un-birds more organized in their formations!)
Attachments
P9090229-2.jpg
P9090229-2.jpg (311.61 KiB) Viewed 248 times
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:48 am

LindaShorey wrote:Oops, didn't mean to put this in Artistic Expressions as it's actually a real scene :) A swallow hunting for breakfast. Thanks in advance for your time and opinions.

I like it, except for the top 'tenth' of the image with the vertical blocks. I think it's the lack of reference to what they are. I hope it helps! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:46 pm

St3v3M wrote:I like it, except for the top 'tenth' of the image with the vertical blocks. I think it's the lack of reference to what they are. I hope it helps! S-


Thanks very much, Steve!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: St3v3M and 1 guest