“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” —Nelson Mandela

― Artistic Expression Critique'Backroom Deal'

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Backroom Deal'

Post by davechinn » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:18 pm

While experimenting ... again by accident, I came up with a composite from an image I took of a couple on the streets of Sturgis, South Dakota. The image itself was nothing spectacular, other than the fact I found it rather unusual and had to take the shot. Not knowing how well this one will go over, I decided to post it just to get a reaction, if possible.
Dave
Attachments
Backroom Deals #2 B&W w.jpg
'Backroom Deal'
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by rmalarz » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:29 pm

This photograph works rather well. Even without, or a different but related title, it would work just as well. The tonality and composition lend quite well to the image's success.
--Bob
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:28 pm

Well crafted Mr. Chinn..quite the interesting image...

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:50 pm

Very provocative! One can interpret the deal several ways of course. Regardless of what's being sold (and yes, I noticed the dollars), I get the sense the participants are equally strong (there's no victim here); in fact she may have him backed into a corner: seriously serious boots vs. bare toe sandals??

Shattered windows, shattered lives? So much to think about and emotions to sort through. Fantastic work, Dave.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:38 am

Not quite what I was expecting from the title, but, after reading your explanation and trying to see the people, the title worked. A bit dark for me; I found it a struggle to see each individual. Great job on his face; that enabled me to make out the rest, although I struggled a lot with the young lady. Sassy posture on her. The fellow's almost looks like a cop taking her in. Amazing what each of us sees. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:53 pm

Overall a great theme. Nice use of a broken glass brush set.

For me, there are a couple of things that don't work with this image. The low key looks more like underexposure than low key. The subjects need more contrast between the light areas of skin tone and areas that are naturally dark toned (i.e. clothing, rather than dark from lack of light), if that makes sense. Likewise the cracks in the window. Broken glass has high points of specularity along the cracks not visible in your composition.

The other issue is a perspective issue. I know this can be a problem when sourcing material but perhaps some creative repositioning of the subjects can alter that discrepancy.

As others have said, there is a lot of variations in the story here and the broken glass really adds to the drama and intensity of that story. Another great composition.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:45 am

rmalarz wrote:This photograph works rather well. Even without, or a different but related title, it would work just as well. The tonality and composition lend quite well to the image's success.
--Bob

Thanks Bob, much appreciated !!! I'm sure a variety of titles would work, this was the first that came to mind.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:47 am

Psjunkie wrote:Well crafted Mr. Chinn..quite the interesting image...

Thanks Frank !!! It was quiet interesting and unusual to see someone dressed in this manner and is why I took the shot.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:22 am

LindaShorey wrote:Very provocative! One can interpret the deal several ways of course. Regardless of what's being sold (and yes, I noticed the dollars), I get the sense the participants are equally strong (there's no victim here); in fact she may have him backed into a corner: seriously serious boots vs. bare toe sandals??

Shattered windows, shattered lives? So much to think about and emotions to sort through. Fantastic work, Dave.

Linda, this appeared to be the norm, as I witnessed similar circumstances throughout the day. You are correct, this could be interpreted several ways and I do encourage the viewer to come up with their own, if desired. I do appreciate the fact that you took a deeper look into the subtle details that are there. Yes, the participants were equally strong and she was most likely the aggressor in this case, because he was leaning against a building. I do get the feeling they had just met based on their attire, boots and sandals is a sign of mix match.

As I mentioned, this started out by accident, with me trying to make something out of nothing. This was my second attempt, so the next day I thought I should get serious and make something of it while still experimenting. The window/door frame along with the shattered glass was an after thought. I never gave thought to shattered lives, but I do like that term and would also fit very well with this image. Thanks for your detailed interpretation, much appreciated.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:30 am

Matt Quinn wrote:Not quite what I was expecting from the title, but, after reading your explanation and trying to see the people, the title worked. A bit dark for me; I found it a struggle to see each individual. Great job on his face; that enabled me to make out the rest, although I struggled a lot with the young lady. Sassy posture on her. The fellow's almost looks like a cop taking her in. Amazing what each of us sees. Thanks. Matt

Thanks Matt !!1 Titles can be like book covers, different from the story, while left up to the viewer's interpretation to see if it fits or not. Most, if not all of my images are on the dark side. Sometimes too dark and I need to work on that issue, but for now it will remain the same.
Dave

David Alan Harvey