― Artistic Expression CritiqueSmoky Sun

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Smoky Sun

Post by Duck » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:14 am

They are all great but I am questioning the strength of the grain in the first. I think I prefer a little less, like in the third one. It makes that first image appear over processed.

I particularly appreciate how you choose the spider web covered one to place in front of the sun. Awesome.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:31 am

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:Like all three Linda.

Thank you, Ernst!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:34 am

Duck wrote:They are all great but I am questioning the strength of the grain in the first. I think I prefer a little less, like in the third one. It makes that first image appear over processed.

I particularly appreciate how you choose the spider web covered one to place in front of the sun. Awesome.

Thanks so much for your time and feedback, Duck. I shot several different placements of the teasel/sun; this one seemed most pleasing. Regarding pp, often images look different to me online than on my computer...or the next day :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:49 pm

Linda, #2 is my favorite. Wonder what #1 and #2 would look like in b&w? How do you avoid glare and blown-out whites shooting directly into the sun? Aa very excellent day's labor. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:25 pm

LindaShorey wrote:[...] Regarding pp, often images look different to me online than on my computer...or the next day :)

Boy, don't I know it. I can't tell you how many times I've uploaded an image only to see something wrong with it I hadn't seen in Lightroom. I usually do a quick correction to the image and re upload the corrected image before my original post even has a time to cool off from the first upload. :)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:18 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Linda, #2 is my favorite. Wonder what #1 and #2 would look like in b&w? How do you avoid glare and blown-out whites shooting directly into the sun? Aa very excellent day's labor. Matt

Thanks for your interest, Matt! I'll try exploring the b&w idea. Regarding exposure, some of my photo's had too much white that was not pleasing. The best were shot between 1/2 hour and 3/4 hour after sunrise and I was careful to keep exposure on the darker side. Plus, you are seeing these through a very thick layer of wildfire smoke. I often shoot towards the sun, but generally right at sunrise or shortly after, and mostly from fall through spring as that is the most pleasing angle and atmosphere. A great benefit to living at this latitude is the quality of light nine months of the year :)

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:19 pm

Duck wrote:
LindaShorey wrote:[...] Regarding pp, often images look different to me online than on my computer...or the next day :)

Boy, don't I know it. I can't tell you how many times I've uploaded an image only to see something wrong with it I hadn't seen in Lightroom. I usually do a quick correction to the image and re upload the corrected image before my original post even has a time to cool off from the first upload. :)

:D

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:04 am

LindaShorey wrote:The Pacific Northwest, including western Canada, is having another horrific summer of wildfires. The air has been so bad the past two days in Yakima, visibility is about 1/2 mile. And we're still 20 degrees above average in temperatures.

Out of the ashes beauty will rise! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"