"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Alva Edison

― Artistic Expression CritiqueThree Eggs

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Three Eggs

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:06 am

I like it. I know how difficult it is because when I was in school (well before the present era) we were given the assignment to photograph -- an egg, white on white. They gave us no suggestions as to how to do it, just that it had to look round, but the brightest part of the egg and its background should have very close to the same tonal value. The exercise was all about lighting, of course. You've lit yours very low from the left. The low angle provides just a hint of texture in the shells. The shadows are soft, open, yet delineated, and (as I discovered) it is the shadow that reveals the shape of the egg(s). It's interesting that Steve wonders about "printing" it even lighter because the one thing I would do if it were mine would be to "print it down" just a little, looking for just a scoche more separation between the highlighted (left) ends of the eggs and the background, but that was my training. We were studying to be commercial photographers so there had to be detail and separation, and you have both, and anyway different monitors &c yada. It's a swell shot, especially knowing how tough it was! :thumbup: (I need to repeat this exercise again. I did it with window light and a point-and-shoot almost 10 years ago, and it's nowhere near as interesting as yours: https://flic.kr/p/79QH2G )
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:55 am

Charles Haacker wrote:... (I need to repeat this exercise again. I did it with window light and a point-and-shoot almost 10 years ago, and it's nowhere near as interesting as yours: https://flic.kr/p/79QH2G )

Your egg is perfect for a commercial shoot! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:12 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Charles Haacker wrote:... (I need to repeat this exercise again. I did it with window light and a point-and-shoot almost 10 years ago, and it's nowhere near as interesting as yours: https://flic.kr/p/79QH2G )

Your egg is perfect for a commercial shoot! S-

Exactly, Steve. It is a not bad example of how I see. Kind of literal. If I aspired to be a painter, I'd probably want to do trompe-l'œil. I've always thought it was mostly my training, but I think it's also my predisposition.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:21 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Exactly, Steve. It is a not bad example of how I see. Kind of literal. ...

'We all have our gifts!' S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"