"You Are The Difference!"

― Artistic Expression Critique'All Along the Fence Line' (A Composite)

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'All Along the Fence Line' (A Composite)

Post by davechinn » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:45 pm

After posting an image of a sunset with a leading fence line, I decided the image needed just a little bit more in the scene. I had various subjects in mind but some were not as appropriate for the environment. My main problem is I'm torn between color and B&W (sepia in this case) so I'll have you decide, but that may not help me with a decision, either way I'm happy with both.
Dave
Attachments
All Along the Fence Line #3 sepia DEC_8767.jpg
Composite B&W with a touch of sepia
All Along the Fence Line #3 DEC_8767w.jpg
Composite Color
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:43 am

You know I prefer B/W Mr. Chinn but I'll have to vote color on this one. The haloing is still there and the direction of the light is not fully working for me here on the horse and cowboy....I find the dark circle around the cowboy's right eye a bit much....all in all a nice image.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:58 pm

Like Psjunkie said, there is an incongruity of light on the man and horse but more noticeably on the man.
Otherwise, it is a really good composite. The scale of the man to the fence is perfect but the stagecoach is too small to be that close. That's an easy fix.
As far as which version... my preference leans to the colored version. It just fits the scene better. The straight B&W has too much contrast which accentuates the light direction issue.
That said, I really like the look of the cowboy. I'd love to see your treatment of just him, if possible.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:36 pm

Psjunkie wrote:You know I prefer B/W Mr. Chinn but I'll have to vote color on this one. The haloing is still there and the direction of the light is not fully working for me here on the horse and cowboy....I find the dark circle around the cowboy's right eye a bit much....all in all a nice image.

Not sure about the haloing. I have several copies and may have chosen the wrong version when I posted. The dark circle around his right eye was there when taken. I'm not sure what it is or even why. When I first saw it, I thought maybe it was gunpowder or he had been in a fight. The reason I say gunpowder is he was part of a Cody, Wyoming gunfight. http://codytrolleytours.com/cody-gunfight/
I appreciate you pointing it out, but under the circumstances I decided to leave it in. Just a part of who he is at that particular time.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:57 pm

Duck wrote:Like Psjunkie said, there is an incongruity of light on the man and horse but more noticeably on the man.
Otherwise, it is a really good composite. The scale of the man to the fence is perfect but the stagecoach is too small to be that close. That's an easy fix.
As far as which version... my preference leans to the colored version. It just fits the scene better. The straight B&W has too much contrast which accentuates the light direction issue.
That said, I really like the look of the cowboy. I'd love to see your treatment of just him, if possible.

Duck, you may be right about the stagecoach. I gave it some considerable thought before hand and decided to leave it as is ... for now. I may decide to use a different version, maybe even a wagon instead of a stagecoach. Here is my theory on the lighting and I may be completely off base, but you and others are correct about the direction, but my thoughts were, what if a flash/speed light were used to simulate the lighting on the cowboy, rather than all natural light? Similar results? Not totally convinced myself, but that's kinda my thinking. Am I incorrect? Direction of lighting is still something I need to work on and maybe someday soon I will master it, but until then I rely on others to point me in the proper direction.

I have a B&W portrait of him that I have processed. I have titled him. Doolin' Dalton. I'll start another thread in the B&W section. Thanks for your thoughts and comments as I'm sure with yours and others will guide me to the direction of proper lighting needed.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:07 pm

davechinn wrote:
Psjunkie wrote:You know I prefer B/W Mr. Chinn but I'll have to vote color on this one. The haloing is still there and the direction of the light is not fully working for me here on the horse and cowboy....I find the dark circle around the cowboy's right eye a bit much....all in all a nice image.

Not sure about the haloing. I have several copies and may have chosen the wrong version when I posted. The dark circle around his right eye was there when taken. I'm not sure what it is or even why. When I first saw it, I thought maybe it was gunpowder or he had been in a fight. The reason I say gunpowder is he was part of a Cody, Wyoming gunfight. http://codytrolleytours.com/cody-gunfight/
I appreciate you pointing it out, but under the circumstances I decided to leave it in. Just a part of who he is at that particular time.
Dave
Understood mr. Chinn...only pointed it out because I thought maybe it was processing.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:26 pm

davechinn wrote:[...] Here is my theory on the lighting and I may be completely off base, but you and others are correct about the direction, but my thoughts were, what if a flash/speed light were used to simulate the lighting on the cowboy, rather than all natural light? Similar results? Not totally convinced myself, but that's kinda my thinking. Am I incorrect? Direction of lighting is still something I need to work on and maybe someday soon I will master it, but until then I rely on others to point me in the proper direction. [...]

When mixing flash with natural light it is often prefered to match the direction of the strobe light with the natural light (keeping in mind that the purpose is to open shadows on the subject) so that it doesn't look unnatural or obvious. There are some photographers that effectively go against this in their work but they are able to achieve a certain balance with the look. In the case of this composite we assume several things and one of them is that we are outdoors without additional light sources (why would a cowboy have a flash?). Specially since a more obvious light source is shown to us. There is an incongruity of lighting as seen by the viewer.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:47 am

davechinn wrote:After posting an image of a sunset with a leading fence line, I decided the image needed just a little bit more in the scene. I had various subjects in mind but some were not as appropriate for the environment. My main problem is I'm torn between color and B&W (sepia in this case) so I'll have you decide, but that may not help me with a decision, either way I'm happy with both.
Dave

The color one has more punch for me, even though I have been concentrating on b&ws for a while. It even seems to have a b&w feel. Can't express it any other way. Great model. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:29 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:The color one has more punch for me, even though I have been concentrating on b&ws for a while. It even seems to have a b&w feel. Can't express it any other way. Great model. Matt

Agreed, the colored version has more impact. It's because of the treatment. The image uses a very controlled and minimal palette of complimentary colors; cool grays and warm browns. This gives the image a cinematic feel to it.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:34 pm

davechinn wrote:After posting an image of a sunset with a leading fence line, I decided the image needed just a little bit more in the scene. I had various subjects in mind but some were not as appropriate for the environment. My main problem is I'm torn between color and B&W (sepia in this case) so I'll have you decide, but that may not help me with a decision, either way I'm happy with both.
Dave

Very effective image, with well done compositing. I'll register a vote for the color version, which is still in a pretty restricted color palette that has its own impact. As some others have pointed out, there's some halo stuff going on with the edges that would benefit from some attention, but given their type, they shouldn't be difficult to get rid of. You've taken a photo of an interesting man and an interesting fence and multiplied the interest of both of them exponentially.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones