Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

― Artistic Expression CritiqueMasks Not Required Here

Non standard photographic editing; collages, manipulations, assemblages, applied textures, double exposures
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Masks Not Required Here

Post by minniev »

Just for fun, I put Luke and a giraffe in the woods with the orange fungus. A haphazard thing made of various painting tools and filters in PS.
Attachments
mine-luke.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

Fun and playful...well done

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:35 pm
Fun and playful...well done
I will eventually make Luke a print for his bulletin board . Thanks.

rmalarz
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by rmalarz »

Very cool.
--Bob
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.
Lifetime member Royal Photographic Society

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

rmalarz wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:01 pm
Very cool.
--Bob
Thanks for taking a look Bob!

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck »

Nicely done, Minnie. I love the whimsy of the scene. The story is easy to read and the characters stand out well in what could otherwise be a busy scene. There are a couple of points I think will make this a stronger image;
Consider placing the giraffe in front of the log Luke is standing on. The current arrangement looks a little awkward for the giraffe as it appears his legs are wrapped around the lower part of the log.
Also consider making the food Luke is offering a bit larger. Particularly because of the direction the giraffe is looking. If the giraffe is on a separate layer I would even suggest having the giraffe's head reaching forward a bit more. The extension of the neck will give the animal a little more movement in the frame rather than the somewhat laid back, "bring it to me" look currently expressed. That's just me though.
The last thing i noticed is that the mask Luke is wearing looks more like a Mennonite's beard than a mask. Perhaps change to color to a non-beard color? Red, blue, lavender...
As you know, I am not one who does a lot of composite work but as an illustrator this really does appeal to me. One other minor thing would be to use some burning on the white part of the giraffe to place the lower part in shadow. The tonality overall is too even and darkening the lower part will help bring the viewer's eye upward towards where the action really is.
Overall, I really like this piece and I think Luke would get a kick out of having a print of this made up.
Anyhow, that's my two cents and I thank you for sharing such a wonderful concept.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Business Website : Unitas Photography
Join me Monday nights at 6:30pm EST via Zoom to Learn Photography with Duck or,
Watch past episodes on YouTube
Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Duck wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:00 pm
Nicely done, Minnie. I love the whimsy of the scene. The story is easy to read and the characters stand out well in what could otherwise be a busy scene. There are a couple of points I think will make this a stronger image;
Consider placing the giraffe in front of the log Luke is standing on. The current arrangement looks a little awkward for the giraffe as it appears his legs are wrapped around the lower part of the log.
Also consider making the food Luke is offering a bit larger. Particularly because of the direction the giraffe is looking. If the giraffe is on a separate layer I would even suggest having the giraffe's head reaching forward a bit more. The extension of the neck will give the animal a little more movement in the frame rather than the somewhat laid back, "bring it to me" look currently expressed. That's just me though.
The last thing i noticed is that the mask Luke is wearing looks more like a Mennonite's beard than a mask. Perhaps change to color to a non-beard color? Red, blue, lavender...
As you know, I am not one who does a lot of composite work but as an illustrator this really does appeal to me. One other minor thing would be to use some burning on the white part of the giraffe to place the lower part in shadow. The tonality overall is too even and darkening the lower part will help bring the viewer's eye upward towards where the action really is.
Overall, I really like this piece and I think Luke would get a kick out of having a print of this made up.
Anyhow, that's my two cents and I thank you for sharing such a wonderful concept.
Thanks Duck, for taking such a detailed look at my little zookeeper! I think all these ideas are worth pursuing to see (a) if I can pull them off and (b) whether they help. Moving the giraffe's head a bit with puppet warp or liquify or some other method may be in my realm. Certainly I can do the dodge and burn, enlarge the lettuce or change it for a bigger piece, and change the color of the mask. I'm less optimistic about unraveling the giraffe from the hard-to-explain decision I made to wrap him around the tree. These kinds of things are so fun for me to practice on.

The original image that inspired me was actually Luke feeding a giraffe, but it was at a wildlife sanctuary, Luke was on a scaffold, and the giraffe enclosure was everywhere. So I took that giraffe and merged it with an art rendering of a smaller giraffe in the resting position where Luke could "reach" him, then put them in the woods behind my country house. It will eventually be a print. I appreciate your help!

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck »

minniev wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:01 pm
... These kinds of things are so fun for me to practice on...

Regardless the implementation of any of my suggestions, this will make a for a fun print and a great commemorative piece for Luke.
I enjoy it either way. :clap:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Business Website : Unitas Photography
Join me Monday nights at 6:30pm EST via Zoom to Learn Photography with Duck or,
Watch past episodes on YouTube
Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.