"One day you are a signature, next day you are an autograph." —Billy Wilder

― Artistic Expression CritiqueCanna Whimsy - Fingerwork #4

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3895
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Canna Whimsy - Fingerwork #4

Post by minniev » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:53 pm

This started out on the ipad, with a texture added there to emulate a painted surface. Then it went to PS, where a Victorian lady wandered in off an old postcard, added a couple of textures and some unbirds, and because I'm running out of time before I leave for my trip, I threw in a clock. I'm always interested in feedback, but fear I got too silly on this one. I did keep a version that is just the flower and texture in case I wanta print it on account of the colors. - These cannas have been around at least 100 years, and were dug up and replanted about 20 years ago because they were getting run over by errant visitors.
Attachments
f4 (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1404
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:52 pm

I love hidden treasures and surprises. I look at the image and say - "blurred/textured flower, yellows and oranges". Then I say, "nice clock". And then, "OMG, she is looking at me! - she is beautiful". Love how she peaks out of the blue into the yellow. The notes on the right side strike me as an afterthought - an extra element that was not needed, of if needed for texture purposes, it should tie to either the clock/time or flowers or the woman, but a fourth thematic wheel isn't working for me... (I could be wrong on the notes, just sharing how I viewed the image and the thoughts that were produced)

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3895
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:16 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:52 pm
I love hidden treasures and surprises. I look at the image and say - "blurred/textured flower, yellows and oranges". Then I say, "nice clock". And then, "OMG, she is looking at me! - she is beautiful". Love how she peaks out of the blue into the yellow. The notes on the right side strike me as an afterthought - an extra element that was not needed, of if needed for texture purposes, it should tie to either the clock/time or flowers or the woman, but a fourth thematic wheel isn't working for me... (I could be wrong on the notes, just sharing how I viewed the image and the thoughts that were produced)
Thanks Piet, for looking at all the pieces and the way they serve the whole. I agree about the notes: I didn't feel great about how they turned out, but I thought it might be because I couldn't contrive of a way to use them. May take tools I don't yet know how to use, maybe warping to make it fold or wrinkle or skew. There is a motive to my madness - the women who lived in this house before me for all these generations have been musicians or artists. The music may be in the wrong image, or the wrong place or rendered the wrong way...
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1404
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:53 am

minniev wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:16 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:52 pm
I love hidden treasures and surprises. I look at the image and say - "blurred/textured flower, yellows and oranges". Then I say, "nice clock". And then, "OMG, she is looking at me! - she is beautiful". Love how she peaks out of the blue into the yellow. The notes on the right side strike me as an afterthought - an extra element that was not needed, of if needed for texture purposes, it should tie to either the clock/time or flowers or the woman, but a fourth thematic wheel isn't working for me... (I could be wrong on the notes, just sharing how I viewed the image and the thoughts that were produced)
Thanks Piet, for looking at all the pieces and the way they serve the whole. I agree about the notes: I didn't feel great about how they turned out, but I thought it might be because I couldn't contrive of a way to use them. May take tools I don't yet know how to use, maybe warping to make it fold or wrinkle or skew. There is a motive to my madness - the women who lived in this house before me for all these generations have been musicians or artists. The music may be in the wrong image, or the wrong place or rendered the wrong way...
.... but the music belongs - it has to belong.

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1820
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:17 am

then I might suggest larger notes spread across the width with less opacity, as is, from normal viewing distance, just seems like a dirty flower.......I dunno..

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3895
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:18 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:17 am
then I might suggest larger notes spread across the width with less opacity, as is, from normal viewing distance, just seems like a dirty flower.......I dunno..
Maybe reduce the grungy vignette while fiddling differently with the notes?
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:29 am
Location: Sydney,Australia
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by pop511 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:32 pm

""There is a motive to my madness - the women who lived in this house before me for all these generations have been musicians or artists.""
Let that statement be your driving force.

The red of your flower is the dominant element due to the saturation. Next came the clock dial. The woman and lastly the music score, but you had to stop on that to decipher what you were looking at.
If this picture was set up to show the flower..ok..well done but the other elements were not needed

Maybe not so if you wanted to show the woman and history.
The woman with the turn of the century dress inside the clock face is a great concept as the two go so well together.
Music score. Bring it to the fore.
House..How about taking a picture of the house and blend that in
Add a paper layer and blend it in to give a rustic old world look.

Now you have your story, and you got me thinking. Well done.
Have fun
ed
ed davis

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2623
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:09 am

Oooh, I love this, especially the two little birds and the sheet music. Great tones and balance of elements. Very creative and inventive. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4328
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:44 am

I might suggest you bring out the music too! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3895
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:14 pm

pop511 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:32 pm
""There is a motive to my madness - the women who lived in this house before me for all these generations have been musicians or artists.""
Let that statement be your driving force.

The red of your flower is the dominant element due to the saturation. Next came the clock dial. The woman and lastly the music score, but you had to stop on that to decipher what you were looking at.
If this picture was set up to show the flower..ok..well done but the other elements were not needed

Maybe not so if you wanted to show the woman and history.
The woman with the turn of the century dress inside the clock face is a great concept as the two go so well together.
Music score. Bring it to the fore.
House..How about taking a picture of the house and blend that in
Add a paper layer and blend it in to give a rustic old world look.

Now you have your story, and you got me thinking. Well done.
Have fun
ed
Nice explanation of thinking one's way through the story. I am not quite there yet, mostly starting with a base image and a vague idea, then collecting stuff to fill it out and experimenting with placement and technical stuff. I'm only just learning all of it except for the image-making, which I've been doing a few years. I hadn't thought to wedge in a piece of the house. That might work. Thanks for the conversation!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests