"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

― Artistic Expression CritiqueMy Conch Runethover

Non standard photographic editing; collages, manipulations, assemblages, applied textures, double exposures
RBorud
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

My Conch Runethover

Postby RBorud » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:37 pm

Hi All
While digging in boxes that were squirreled away some years ago was a project I meant work on and totally forgot I found. So here is one of my first things from one box of seashells. Please enjoy.
RBorud
Attachments
IMGP3024B.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Re: My Conch Runethover

Postby minniev » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:51 pm

Just lovely, and a whole different approach from what we typically see from you! Deadly sharp and detailed, with the velvety black background, with the perfect iridescent conch shell with all its sensuous curves and crevices. A Weston image, but in Eggleston's color.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

RBorud
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Postby RBorud » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:16 am

Thankyou minniev for you very kind words, with no response I was afraid no one liked it. RBorud

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Ceropegia » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:45 am

Exquisite capture of a beautiful shell!

RBorud
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Postby RBorud » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:05 pm

Thank you Martha

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:44 pm

RBorud wrote:Thankyou minniev for you very kind words, with no response I was afraid no one liked it. RBorud

We move slower than most photo forums. Sometimes we keep a thread going for months. Sometimes we'll dig up an image from two years back and resurrect it. Never give up on us.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby Psjunkie » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:47 am

An interesting image R..I find it pleasing, possibly a touch tight at the bottom but not a deal breaker. I am left wondering if softer light might reveal more detail from the brighter areas.

RBorud
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Postby RBorud » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:53 am

Psjunkie thank you for commenting on my image, and I am so glad it pleased you. Your comment of the possibility of using a softer light making a difference in the lighter areas. This posed a dilemma for me. The nacre (if I am spelling it right) of some crustaceans have an intense reflectivity, as a result highlights can be a nightmare. The light was a very broad window with a diffuser over it , but it tended to blow the highlights in spite of it. I could work the level/curves to eliminate this. But here is the hook, I did not want to sacrifice in any way the very long and sinuous scale of the reds, rose, and near lavender colors. And I know there was a very light color in the highlights, because the dropper at no time showed a 255 in all colors. My only solution is to pick my poison as to what was more important to me. A very good question you poised. I am including another effort to I hope to further mitigate this problem. Thanks for looking RBorud
Attachments
IMGP3024BC.jpg

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Duck » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:54 am

A photo is a 2 dimensional representation of a 3 dimensional object. Not only do we have to convey height, width and depth, but also texture, what that object is made of. The only tool we have at our disposal to convey all that information to the viewer is light. That's where the challenge lies.

In order to show what something is made of we have to rely on the interplay of that light across the surface texture of the object and how effectively it reflects the light back to the camera. That efficiency shows us if something is dull or shiny or wet or fuzzy or... whatever the surface happens to be.

The shinier a surface is the higher the efficiency and one of the visual clues to that efficiency is specularity. Your first image has a lot of wonderful specularity, giving the inner part of the shell that look of shiny iridescence found in a shell of this type. Reduce that specularity and the shell starts looking dull and lifeless.

The problem with highly specular surfaces is they reflect every single light source around it. Light control becomes the issue. One bit of advice is, "remember angle of incidence, angle of reflection." Large light sources behind your subject tend to work better than small light sources anywhere. Reflectors and bounce cards can often give better results than directly lighting the subject.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby Psjunkie » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:02 pm

I understand the situation and can see the difference in the two shots, I've no answer.....Duck makes good points

Return to “― Artistic Expression Critique”