“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Critic's CornerIs This Minimalism?

Show off your artistic or experimental side of photography.
- Abstract, collages, still life, digital or analog manipulations... Whatever doesn't fit in another category.
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Is This Minimalism?

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:20 pm

pop511 wrote:B&W conversion
Each to their own, but the last is such a power house
So No.3 is my Fav.
Ed
Thanks, Ed. The third is my favorite, too. I still need to get back and play more with it.
St3v3M wrote:I feel like the grass has been overcooked with color and sharpness, but I have to say there's something about it I like. The third is my favorite though with its shading, but mostly I like the bright side lighting against the darkened sky. Add some stars and some snow and now we're really talking! S-
Thanks, Steve. That color shot has been only minimally reworked in LR. The grass looks like that. One of the reasons I started thinking conversion was that the whole picture was so blah. I liked the grass okay but the sky had nuthin'. I tried pulling down a graduated filter but it was still nuthin'. I had also made a camera-tipped-down version with mostly grassy hill, but the reason I tipped the camera up was that the grassy hill version was a picture of a grassy hill with incidentally a torii. I suspect that, having a broken art bone, I am above my pay grade. :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:59 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Thanks, Steve. That color shot has been only minimally reworked in LR. The grass looks like that. One of the reasons I started thinking conversion was that the whole picture was so blah. I liked the grass okay but the sky had nuthin'. I tried pulling down a graduated filter but it was still nuthin'. I had also made a camera-tipped-down version with mostly grassy hill, but the reason I tipped the camera up was that the grassy hill version was a picture of a grassy hill with incidentally a torii. I suspect that, having a broken art bone, I am above my pay grade. :|

It would be fun to over saturate the grass just to see what you come up with, or add a pretty sky with puffy clouds, but either way, I like what you've done to the third. It's not so much the color conversion, but more the simple backlighting on the posts. It's the dark against the light I guess, but it works! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

pop511
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby pop511 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:19 pm

"Thanks, Ed. The third is my favorite, too. I still need to get back and play more with it." What is it that concerns you?
Ed
ed davis

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:20 am

pop511 wrote:"Thanks, Ed. The third is my favorite, too. I still need to get back and play more with it." What is it that concerns you?
Ed

I'm just overall not thrilled with the whole thing. I joke that I have no Art bone but it's not really a joke --- I don't. I also like that third one best in an on-the-right-track kind of way, but Duck suggested,
experiment with a layered texture just to see what happens. It might yield pleasant surprises.
and Frank said
#3 for me needs a more even blend of the effect, doesn't seem uniform around the structure.
I saw that haloing or fringing so that concerns me. It appears to be a highlight along the top rail of the torii. The light was about 3/4 back light. That highlight is in the original color, but the conversion and whatever other filters I applied have exacerbated it. I might be able to very carefully retouch it out, but I also keep returning to the notion that, on balance, it's really not very good. (N)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Return to “Artistic Expressions”