"Details matter, it's worth waiting to get it right." —Steve Jobs

― Artistic Expression CritiqueLone Fisherman

Non standard photographic editing; collages, manipulations, assemblages, applied textures, double exposures
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Lone Fisherman

Postby Duck » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:52 pm

minniev wrote:Thanks Duck! The group is about using texture thus the texture vignette, and I'm not sure about it either! I think another texture with less vignette effect would be better.

One (design) trick I learned a long time ago is to create singular effects and then stacking them as needed. In this case, I would have a separate texture without a vignette. If I wanted a vignette I can choose to add one at any intensity to fit the mood of the image. All-in-one textures tend to limit you.

Food for thought. :thumbup:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

PietFrancke
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby PietFrancke » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:55 pm

PietFrancke wrote:the wrist light bugs me... shirt pocket doesn't bother me. I go back and forth about the rod leaving the edge, that was the first thing I noticed, but as Linda said, it kind of adds to the composition. I love this image!

edit - sorry for double post! I thought I was correcting my first post to be less ambiguous about the wrist light bugging me, but I did quote instead of edit and didn't realize it...

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:06 am

PietFrancke wrote:the wrist light... shirt pocket doesn't bother me. I go back and forth about the rod leaving the edge, that was the first thing I noticed, but as Linda said, it kind of adds to the composition. I love this image!

Thank you Piet.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:09 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
minniev wrote:Thanks Chuck. I wished for the end of the pole too, but you would not believe how long that darned thing was, and the ones that have the whole pole made him too tiny and too far along the right edge. Why don't they use shorter poles to help me with composition? :D

I did consider removing those reflecty things - watch and whatever, but ended up leaving them. I am troubled by the vignette too, I'll probably swamp out the texture and find a more compatible, less vignetted one to use.

I did not realize the vignette was built in to the texture. The texture itself is fine, works well. As for the pole, I used to fish; generally a longer pole equals a longer cast, a longer cast equals more time for the lure or bait in the water. I can see it's not a fly rod (I can see the reel and it's a spinning reel, plus the line guides, while small, are too big for a fly rod). He may well be a subsistence fisherman. When Matt was working on his fishing merit badge for Scouts we fished just below a dam that was a hotspot for Vietnamese subsistence fisherfolk. They were kind and welcoming, told us what we were likely to catch and suggested minnows for bait. Matt got his badge easily and we had a nice dinner. :)

The texture can be pulled off, there's others I can use. Many of these guys fishing from the bank below the dam are subsistence guys, and many are minorities - African American, Vietnamese, Japanese, Mexican. The more prosperous and the sportsmen usually have boats.

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:13 am

Duck wrote:
minniev wrote:Thanks Duck! The group is about using texture thus the texture vignette, and I'm not sure about it either! I think another texture with less vignette effect would be better.

One (design) trick I learned a long time ago is to create singular effects and then stacking them as needed. In this case, I would have a separate texture without a vignette. If I wanted a vignette I can choose to add one at any intensity to fit the mood of the image. All-in-one textures tend to limit you.

Food for thought. :thumbup:

Thanks Duck.This is actually 3 textures, but only one of them has a vignette. I think if I pull that one off, reduce its opacity or use a blending mode that works better), I'll like it more. It would still have some texture but the darkening effect would be minimal.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:06 pm

minniev wrote:Thanks Duck.This is actually 3 textures, but only one of them has a vignette. I think if I pull that one off, reduce its opacity or use a blending mode that works better), I'll like it more. It would still have some texture but the darkening effect would be minimal.

Ah, I see... When you said "texture" I assumed that the vignette was a part of one of the texture images you used. In my eye, a texture and a vignette are two separate effects. I just assumed... :spank:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:49 pm

Duck wrote:
minniev wrote:Thanks Duck.This is actually 3 textures, but only one of them has a vignette. I think if I pull that one off, reduce its opacity or use a blending mode that works better), I'll like it more. It would still have some texture but the darkening effect would be minimal.

Ah, I see... When you said "texture" I assumed that the vignette was a part of one of the texture images you used. In my eye, a texture and a vignette are two separate effects. I just assumed... :spank:

My bad for not making it clear the first time! Some of the textures I use have vignette effects, and the texture with the vignette was too strong for the image in this case. Then sometimes I create the vignette from the texture with masking (though not with this one). In this case I used one that has a vignette effect, one that added color toning after I converted the photo to monochrome, and one that had a sort of "aged" effect. I may post an alternate version in case everyone hasn't gone to sleep.

I appreciate your taking the time to talk about it!!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:51 pm

minniev wrote:I had to do a silhouette for my 52 project this week, so thought I'd share it here to, captured on a dam bird hunt early morning. All feedback welcome.

I love this but agree there are a few distractions that stand out, the watch, the pocket, and the hole in his hat. I like the rest, but wonder if you could have 'healed' the end of the fishing pole to have 'included' the whole thing in the scene. This is a wonderful image and with a few minor adjustments even better! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

ErichBrunner
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby ErichBrunner » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:01 pm

A very strong silhouette. I agree that the shiny pits could be a distraction. I think the best part of this photo is how you managed to make the water look. I think it is really well done. Bravo.
Erich

rmalarz
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby rmalarz » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:34 pm

Very nice and strong image. I causes one to pause and reflect on the reason. Fishing for food, relaxation, killing time, it's difficult to say, but the paths lead to many narratives.
--Bob
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

Return to “― Artistic Expression Critique”