Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

― Artistic Expression Showcasethe witch is near

Non standard photographic editing; collages, manipulations, assemblages, applied textures, double exposures
PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

the witch is near

Post by PietFrancke »

the witch is near - I will need a better title..

I took three shots with same lighting, each figure is masked so that I can color them one at a time. I put textures below them and just to see what it might end up like I added texture to them also and turned it into a low-key. All done so that I can see if it has any potential. (but I still have the good base of three masked figures to work with.)

I am looking at some art and will figure a background out - probably a forest type scene. I'm gonna color them and give them a background and then play with filters all over again. But wanted you guys to see the B/W with some textures cause otherwise it would look really bad...

This time I plan to use clipping masks to that when I paint, I stay within the lines automatically. Sorry for rambling on and on, I think I will do the background next so that I can have a better feeling for how things fit.
witch0.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

They are coming along nicely Piet. I want to see the painting! When does that begin? Will you show us layered screenshots of some of it? I'm fascinated with what you do but have only blundered about with it and made messes, no real art. I share your frustrations with selections, and end up painting/drawing them often. The new tools in PS for object selection is better than the old auto select offering. How have you made out with it? I would think that if you photographed the figures against a strongly contrasting background it would do a really good job of it.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

Your selection looks great...however you do it seems to work well...will be watching this with interest.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

thank you Min and Frank - selections are something that I just have to be willing to try more often. Since the shots were surrounded by white paper, PS can select pretty easily, I just need to try more and get used to it. An old dog new trick thing...

The background was kind of fun. It is just a placeholder that will let me get a feeling for whether the figures are too bright and if the colors kind of work. I painted the some colors and then placed the darker branches on top. And then I selected colors that were close to them and laid them on top of the branches until the branches started to fade away. And of course threw some texture at it. It will get lots more work, but best to just be happy with it for now and move on.

So... I'm going to go for a more yellowish reddish light and then use blues and greens for the shadows. And I will try the helmets first - will attempt a stained/rusty kind of look rather than shiny clean. Anyway, here is the BG - will be place on the bottom of my stack with the figures and textures higher up.
bg.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by Psjunkie »

The background alone is a work of art...well done

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:48 pm
The background alone is a work of art...well done
thanks Frank - you are kind, some day I must buy you a beer.

The helmet... I got to document this while it is fresh in my mind...
I find a helmet on the internet colored the way I like. I copy it and make the image be a layer in my photoshop psd file. I use it to select colors from. I create a new layer and set it's mode to color, so it does not change the luminosity, just the color.

I select a bright yellow from the bright area and then paint the brights in helmet with it. I select a dark brown for the darks and paint it over the dark areas. I select 8 or 10 different colors in this fashion and just splash them down on the color layer. I merge the layer down.

It looks too bright orange, so I make a copy of the layer and bring it into camera raw and I make everything darker with exposure and shadows and highlight adjustments. Then I mask everything out and paint the helmet area to activate the change and I merge that layer back down to the original (so I made the helmet darker over all than it was before.

Again using a similar process, I lower the saturation in the bright areas and in the dark areas. And then I increase the saturation in the areas where the shadows come close to the light areas - I think I have noticed in many paintings that the area where light and dark "meet", the saturation is greater.

Then, there were some irritating highlights where the helmet used to reflect the white paper on the edges - I took background colors and painted them over these areas. And then I also took back ground colors and with a low opacity, just painted some of them into the helmet figuring that it would catch reflections of the surrounding colors. So that made the helmet keep it's new orange color, but at the same time share some greens with the background.

Too much yakking, here is the picture...
I am wondering if the bands of the helmet should perhaps be slightly different or not..
h1.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by Psjunkie »

Oh please, never too much Yakking.......I've a couple of questions..I guess I'm wondering if you are merging down for file size or does it create another look????another is you say you are painting highlights and shadows..are you doing that with blend-if or manually brushing color??why 8 or 10 more colors?

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

Psjunkie wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:09 am
Oh please, never too much Yakking.......I've a couple of questions..I guess I'm wondering if you are merging down for file size or does it create another look????another is you say you are painting highlights and shadows..are you doing that with blend-if or manually brushing color??why 8 or 10 more colors?
yak on my friend - merging down to maintain one figure with it's specific mask - work in a safe place, like what I see, merge down. Otherwise I would not be able to keep track of which layer is which anyway. And nothing wrong with being destructive if it provides simplicity - so file size no, simplicity yes.

If I was smart and thought of it, I might have done blend if, but it is faster to just grab a color from the reference (placed very close to the target) and then splash it down on the new color layer (pre merged) in an area that has similar luminosity. Two or three or four colors ends up being very, I don't know a good word, Bland comes to mind. But after you start mixing in enough colors from the palette of colors from your reference, something clicks (well, anyway, it looks a little better, a little more real). Anyway, I could do all the lights and then a blend-if using light, but just low-opacity painting in an area close to right seems to do ok and is a lot faster. I think the blend-if would be more accurate, so I have to think about it, but I like the speed of what I am doing now a lot.

Grabbing colors and then colorizing the helmet and then splashing background colors on it was pretty fast, I probably had it done in two or three minutes. Having the figure masked and not bleeding into the background helped immensely. I created a "color painting layer" immediately above the layer the figure was in - and used a clipping mask, so that I could only paint over the area that matched the figure. Another reason for the merge down was that if I wanted to slide the figure around, it is all together in a single layer, if that makes sense... destructive but easy.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

oh, and speaking of file sizes... since pm only allows small uploads, I wish to share a crop at full rez of what I am working on.. It is hard to see the tiny colors - here you can see them a little easier to see what I mean.
c1.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by Psjunkie »

Thank you for your explanation Piet...Some food for thought. Make a group..add a mask to the group and pint in your helmet…then add a levels adjustment layer..add a solid color fill layer and change blend mode to color on the fill layer. You can grab a color with the eyedropper from out side photoshop ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_H6ZAw-tw) then use the levels layer to adjust to taste…add as may solid color fill layers as you like with a black mask and paint them in with white to taste…or make as many groups as you need each with a different color. Here’s a quick try..I used the color from your helmet and the background…(https://www.dropbox.com/s/b964fu0obn48w ... e.jpg?dl=0)should be a psd so take a look at and play with the adjustment sliders on the levels layer. I have found that these two layer together is one of the best ways to change or control the color of almost anything in Ps..of course it all boils down to those dreaded selections as usual…please, nothing at all wrong with what you are doing…just some alternative non destructive thoughts. I see the color better now with you latest upload.

Edit: and I just noticed what good taste you have in Withces....