Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
Waiting On An Update - The Reply Error Message Is An Annoyance, But The Site Still Works

― Artistic Expression Showcasethe witch is near

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: the witch is near

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:41 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:21 am
I am tickled pink (whatever that old saying means)...I can tell you're a bit inspired because you can now do what your mind wants to do without much struggle....I'll be watching
I still suffer from lack of patience - but chipping away at things..
witch3.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:42 am

Wow...I am very much liking the way this is coming together so far.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:41 am

Your patience is showing, you have to be kidding about patience..so subtle you've nothing but patience. Your eye for color is amazing.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:37 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:41 am
Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:21 am
I am tickled pink (whatever that old saying means)...I can tell you're a bit inspired because you can now do what your mind wants to do without much struggle....I'll be watching
I still suffer from lack of patience - but chipping away at things.. witch3.jpg
Your color work is beautiful Piet.

The 8 yr old grandson who loves art tells me that shading is the most important skill an artist needs to learn. You’ve got that down beautifully.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:32 pm

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:25 pm

thanks Frank and Minnie, I don't feel like I have that good of an eye.. But trying to learn more about how things work. And looking at references is very useful.

But here is an experiment for the curious. Find something that has color, that is half way in sunlight and halfway in the shade. And then take a photo of it. And then use color-picker and look at the same color - look at the sunny color and look at the shady color. Obviously the "value" will be different, but I have a dollar that says the general warmth of the colors will also differ. Not always, but typically, the lit area will be substantially warmer than the area in shade.

I need to find a ball (something that is not flat, something that has a curve - do the same thing. I am speculating that as you use the color picker and move it around the ball, we would see the saturation level also change - and I would expect the saturation to be greatest in the areas where the light and shadow meet.

My theory (though likely wet) is that if in our art, if we mimic those things - even on a pure photograph - that we would make it go from "real" (mundane) to "super-real" (obviously not more real, but gaining an interest or beauty).

So... since I don't have an eye for color, I am trying to understand certain relationships that the brain processes automatically, (which is how we automatically know if something is right or wrong) and then when coloring, adjust in those directions - and perhaps even Over-Adjust in those direction on areas that we want to emphasize or draw attention to.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:12 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:25 pm
thanks Frank and Minnie, I don't feel like I have that good of an eye.. But trying to learn more about how things work. And looking at references is very useful.

But here is an experiment for the curious. Find something that has color, that is half way in sunlight and halfway in the shade. And then take a photo of it. And then use color-picker and look at the same color - look at the sunny color and look at the shady color. Obviously the "value" will be different, but I have a dollar that says the general warmth of the colors will also differ. Not always, but typically, the lit area will be substantially warmer than the area in shade.

I need to find a ball (something that is not flat, something that has a curve - do the same thing. I am speculating that as you use the color picker and move it around the ball, we would see the saturation level also change - and I would expect the saturation to be greatest in the areas where the light and shadow meet.

My theory (though likely wet) is that if in our art, if we mimic those things - even on a pure photograph - that we would make it go from "real" (mundane) to "super-real" (obviously not more real, but gaining an interest or beauty).

So... since I don't have an eye for color, I am trying to understand certain relationships that the brain processes automatically, (which is how we automatically know if something is right or wrong) and then when coloring, adjust in those directions - and perhaps even Over-Adjust in those direction on areas that we want to emphasize or draw attention to.
Makes sense to me, and if I can do this experiment properly I'll tell you what I learn. Our eyes assume that red is red. But red will vary according to whether it is in light or shadow, whether the light is warm or cold, what texture the red thing's surface is. I am not sure about distance but willing to accede that it may plausibly vary with distance but I'd wonder if the other factors influence that in some way.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:22 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:12 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:25 pm

Makes sense to me, and if I can do this experiment properly I'll tell you what I learn. Our eyes assume that red is red. But red will vary according to whether it is in light or shadow, whether the light is warm or cold, what texture the red thing's surface is. I am not sure about distance but willing to accede that it may plausibly vary with distance but I'd wonder if the other factors influence that in some way.
yep - with distance we get into atmospheric perspective stuff - I need to find a non-shiny colored ball or material or something.. This homework needs to be put up as a challenge project where you, I, Frank, and anyone else puts up the image and discusses their observations.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:35 pm

Can we depend on you to think up the project, since you have a better grasp of it than I do, anyway? Something simple...simple enough for the simplest minds.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:36 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:35 pm
Can we depend on you to think up the project, since you have a better grasp of it than I do, anyway? Something simple...simple enough for the simplest minds.
LOL - Yep - something for Frank!!!