Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
Waiting On An Update - The Reply Error Message Is An Annoyance, But The Site Still Works

― Artistic Expression Showcasethe witch is near

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: the witch is near

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:02 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:24 am
Thank you for your explanation Piet...Some food for thought. Make a group..add a mask to the group and pint in your helmet…then add a levels adjustment layer..add a solid color fill layer and change blend mode to color on the fill layer. You can grab a color with the eyedropper from out side photoshop ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_H6ZAw-tw) then use the levels layer to adjust to taste…add as may solid color fill layers as you like with a black mask and paint them in with white to taste…or make as many groups as you need each with a different color. Here’s a quick try..I used the color from your helmet and the background…(https://www.dropbox.com/s/b964fu0obn48w ... e.jpg?dl=0)should be a psd so take a look at and play with the adjustment sliders on the levels layer. I have found that these two layer together is one of the best ways to change or control the color of almost anything in Ps..of course it all boils down to those dreaded selections as usual…please, nothing at all wrong with what you are doing…just some alternative non destructive thoughts. I see the color better now with you latest upload.

Edit: and I just noticed what good taste you have in Withces....
those sexy feet are HOT! I like your helmet, it is better than mine (I just did that one a few minutes ago). I only saw the jpg though, is there a psd file also, or did you put jpg there by accident (I wouldn't mind seeing your adjustment layers within groups).. To do it right though, every item would need it's own folder, because the metal helmet might need different adjustments than the fleshy face. But if I see it and play with it, perhaps I will change my wicked ways. Many plusses to your workflow, a very big one is being able to copy an adjustment layer and add it to another item.

I am glad you are having fun with my coloring book. I am convinced though that the biggest key to success is having a nice reference that you can lift the colors out of. (it is no bother to make the references their own layer - I used to know how to lift a color outside of PS, but then I forget again and have to look it up again, so the easiest way for me is just to get the reference into a layer.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:05 am

Totally understand the color picker thing.....let me go look...thought I put up the psd...don't get old.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:08 am

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:23 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:08 am
Ok..try this and let me know. (https://www.dropbox.com/s/0i442c1tz1347 ... e.psd?dl=0)
thank you - love it, I may have to change my ways - once you have a mask per item, doing the edits becomes easy-peasy. Probably the hardest thing becomes making good masks, but like this, it is just an item at a time - and the masks can be refined whenever you see problems. I especially enjoyed the levels mask - getting the right parts to their proper tonality is pretty hard to do, but again, having a mask per item makes that all completely possible.

I am going to throw some time into getting comfortable making masks (like that pen method for example that you see sometimes in youtube) - love how you can mask the Group!!!!

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:34 am

Hooray for me....I got the right file loaded. I am glad you were able to see some benefit...When I come back to an image there is always something I want to change, working non destructively lets me easily make those changes. Selections are really just for help making masks..so whatever is easiest for you is the way to go...usually a combination of selections and painting...one of the best tips I ever learned about mask painting is holding own the shift key to get a straight line...so simple.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:07 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:41 am
oh, and speaking of file sizes... since pm only allows small uploads, I wish to share a crop at full rez of what I am working on.. It is hard to see the tiny colors - here you can see them a little easier to see what I mean.

c1.jpg
Clipping the layers makes sense to keep the work from running out the edges of the target object.
Creating groups of layers does too.
When I'm doing a complex work (more than a dozen or so layers) I am diligent with the naming of the layers and groups and that helps me keep up with what is where. I try to avoid merging anything if I can help it, because once that's done, I am doomed if I find a problem I missed or run into something I presumed I could do but them found it it wouldn't work.

Your painting is so much more sophisticated than mine, I feel like you are working more in a traditional art model, not depending on the stack of things and activities to hide stuff, but making each piece perfect as if it could be seen as a standalone object. I'm in awe of this approach.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:22 am

thank you Frank for making me get organized - there is much to say for being able to darken a face or helmet at will. Thanks Min, I think doing the background first is helping me with this (even if I change it later), it gives me a better feeling right away as to if the colorwork is working or not. So far so good...
witch1s.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:33 am

I'm elated I was able to help a master gain more control of his craft......looking good Piet.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:09 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:33 am
I'm elated I was able to help a master gain more control of his craft......looking good Piet.
a big help -- for instance (not worth updating an image right now - BUT), since I had masks in proper folder for both helmets, I added saturation controls on the helmets - and brought them back to grey and they looked pretty good as grey- and then I brought the color back in, but decided to let the color on the helmets be more subdued...

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:21 am

I am tickled pink (whatever that old saying means)...I can tell you're a bit inspired because you can now do what your mind wants to do without much struggle....I'll be watching