Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

― Artistic Expression Showcasethe witch is near

Non standard photographic editing; collages, manipulations, assemblages, applied textures, double exposures
Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: the witch is near

Post by Psjunkie »

I have enough projects but will be following along..I love it when you two get to tossing ideas around....just as a side note hue, saturation, and luminance is what controls the color...yes I do realize I'm the simpleton here...and proud of it!

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by PietFrancke »

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:39 pm
I have enough projects but will be following along..I love it when you two get to tossing ideas around....just as a side note hue, saturation, and luminance is what controls the color...yes I do realize I'm the simpleton here...and proud of it!
good - glad you were watching - will keep it simple and easy and such that it will not be a pain to do.;. And thanks - might as well use proper terms in this - the three that you mentioned!! Piet/Paula/Simple

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie »

Bahahaha

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke »

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:50 pm
Bahahaha
the saga continues, miles to go.. thanks for watching.
witch4.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie »

loving this pallet so far..

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke »

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:12 am
loving this pallet so far..
thanks Frank - do I dare try blue colors on the witch - for contrast - probably the wings at least need to be dark, low saturated blue.. maybe a brown-green would be better for her, more of a leathery look..

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie »

most definitely.....

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn »

I'm not sure where to begin Piet. I haven't had an interest to try this myself, but I do enjoy watching you progress with your's. The finished accomplishments have been outstanding, but the process along the way seems to be the most important part to me. I always have enjoyed before and after pictures. To see things how they were at one time to how they are now with any project at hand. I'm not sure I would have the patience but because of your projects I have considered an attempt. I have had what I think is a variety of WWI toy soldiers, but are probably WWII soldiers that belonged to my step-father. I have done a little research and discovered they are from Germany. Elastolin Germany is stamped on the bottom. Not a complete set but there is quite a few. The thought crossed my mind to make some attempt to try something along the lines of your projects. Only because I have these and have always had an interest in just about anything related to military. The soldiers are pretty fragile so I need to be careful in my process prior to placing these up for sale. Sorry to ramble along, but I thought I would ask your expertise advice.

This is a sample to what I have. https://www.etsy.com/listing/462140667/ ... _346429831
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke »

hi Dave - diffused light is your best friend for shiny things. So if you haven't, consider a softbox, or paper towels draped over them (the poor man's, or lazy man's softbox). I know what you mean about time consuming, but for me, it is more of an excuse to get better at PS and to try to understand how color and digital painting works.

For a fun painting/composite using them, I like the idea of going grey scale with the image first, messing with the tones so that flesh looks like flesh, metal looks like metal, fabric looks like fabric, etc - and Then trying to apply colors and background.

Not a very fair thing to do if you were selling them though - but getting shots using heavily diffused light might help some in making them look better.

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn »

Thanks for the info. I was planning on selling the toy figures themselves, not whatever creation I happen to come up with. I understand what you're saying about diffused light. The toy figures are so old I don't think I will have to worry about that. They are pretty dull looking as is and fading. Painting (once I get the knack) will be fun I'm sure.

Your project is coming along very well. Absolutely love what your doing here. I'm sure you will have many other projects up your sleeve and I look forward to seeing what's next along with the completion of this one. Especially the witch. She will be wonderful I'm sure and will be the icing on the cake.
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey