Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"He who knows most knows how little he knows." -Thomas Jefferson

― Artistic Expression ShowcaseDeath Dealer

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Death Dealer

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:33 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:49 pm
Oh no, no, no, Piet......thank youuuu for indulging us.
Frank, we indulge each other - truly..

Ok, here we painted in a rough background so that we can see how the figure looks if it isn't in a garage. And I added local color to the horse and the phoenix or whatever it is in the shield. Local color is like a coloring book, it looks awful, but it will look better after shadows and highlights are added.. Lots more coloring to go.

Oh, and I morphed the thing here and there, made the axe more curvy. The horse's rump is sticking up too much, have to fix that and finish the coloring stuff.
deathDealer2.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:50 am

surely you jest......a unicorn for sure, I've granddaughters would swear to it...also appears to be showing a bit of gender now..

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:52 am

I’m especially interested in the background. Are you using those grut Brushes? They don’t install and work like regular brushes do they?
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:14 pm

I can't stand Grut Brush management, or for that matter, Photoshop Brush management. You should be able to have a search filter of some type, like type pencil and all your pencils pop up... Yeah, the Grut Brushes are a "an action oriented brush", so they don't live in the same place. But the brush used for painting the background (and doing the coloring) is called "charcoal side" and is NOT a Grut brush. (I like the Grut mixer brushes especially)
I can't remember if it was a standard photoshop brush that I move to the top of the stack or if I found it at ctrlpaint.com... The ctrlpaint guy only uses five or six brushes for almost all of his work and that brush (I think) is one of them. But it might just be a photoshop standard brush and he uses it...

https://www.ctrlpaint.com/library/

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:19 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:50 am
surely you jest......a unicorn for sure, I've granddaughters would swear to it...also appears to be showing a bit of gender now..
I looked at the Frazetta piece and tried to warp things into place as best as I could - It might be too late already to show this to your granddaughters! LOL - I will soften up later that Unicorn like horn that is really his locks of mane pointing forward. It will look better, I promise!

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:17 pm

Thanks Piet for letting us see the progression. Impressive. And patient work on your part. A good lesson for this high-school 50-yard sprinter. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:14 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:14 pm
I can't stand Grut Brush management, or for that matter, Photoshop Brush management. You should be able to have a search filter of some type, like type pencil and all your pencils pop up... Yeah, the Grut Brushes are a "an action oriented brush", so they don't live in the same place. But the brush used for painting the background (and doing the coloring) is called "charcoal side" and is NOT a Grut brush. (I like the Grut mixer brushes especially)
I can't remember if it was a standard photoshop brush that I move to the top of the stack or if I found it at ctrlpaint.com... The ctrlpaint guy only uses five or six brushes for almost all of his work and that brush (I think) is one of them. But it might just be a photoshop standard brush and he uses it...

https://www.ctrlpaint.com/library/
Brushes make me crazy. Mine are a mess. I have not tried the grut brushes and don’t have any idea what a mixer brush is or what is to be done with it. Wanta tell me?

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:03 am

Thanks Matt and Minnie -- Minnie, a mixer brush is a fantastic tool. Easily worth the price of the best photoshop filter that there is. But the name could be better, If I called it a "blending brush", then you would know what it does. It is like the smudge tool, except it doesn't push the pixels about, it mixes them, it blends them. There are a number of mixer brushes in Grut, each one works a little bit differently - retaining texture perhaps, or the shapes, or the feel. My favorite use for them is to use it to blend a composite into the background. Where hard edges are no longer desired, you can make them go away. This is the perfect solution for getting rid of haloing artifacts for instance.

Now back to Death Dealer,
Here is what I came up with in the Color Me Wild story. Of course it still looks very much like a toy, I hope I can change that. Shading will be my next effort!!
deathDealer3.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:37 am

Thank you. Are there some in PS ? I may have some and not know it. How can I tell?

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:51 am

minniev wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:37 am
Thank you. Are there some in PS ? I may have some and not know it. How can I tell?
Select the brush tool.
On the top row, you will see a small icon of the brush that you have selected.
Click on it.
A box should pop up showing you all the brushes that you have available.