It saddens me to forward the news that our good friend and fellow photographer, Matt Quinn, has passed.
As some of you may know, he had been battling cancer for a while and was on his way to recovery.
Please take a moment to remember him in your prayers.
"Sometimes imagination is no more than randomness applied." —Piet Francke

― Artistic Expression ShowcaseDeath Dealer

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Death Dealer

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:41 pm

I recently bought a Moebius model of Frazetta's iconic Death Dealer and am putting it together. It stands around 10 inches tall. All the main sections are still loose so that I can paint them later (in the real world). Here is a poor image of the figure:
deathDealer0.jpg
I plan to follow my normal process and will see if I can Photoshop/paint a photograph into something cool.

I'm glad I took this shot, it looks to me like the head has to go down lower and I will need to take practice shots to attempt to get it to look like Frazetta's piece.

For a begining photo, I think a softbox placed upper right and with the flash perhaps I won't need the tripod, but why be lazy right? Tripod will come out.

I still need to do a bit of work on the model (sword, chains, rings and some odds and ends) but I am hoping that by tomorrow evening, I can get enough done to get started- wish me luck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Dealer_(painting)

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:33 am

good luck

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:17 am

Cool. Will follow this. Awesome, Piet. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:35 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:41 pm
I recently bought a Moebius model of Frazetta's iconic Death Dealer and am putting it together. It stands around 10 inches tall. All the main sections are still loose so that I can paint them later (in the real world). Here is a poor image of the figure:

deathDealer0.jpg

I plan to follow my normal process and will see if I can Photoshop/paint a photograph into something cool.

I'm glad I took this shot, it looks to me like the head has to go down lower and I will need to take practice shots to attempt to get it to look like Frazetta's piece.

For a begining photo, I think a softbox placed upper right and with the flash perhaps I won't need the tripod, but why be lazy right? Tripod will come out.

I still need to do a bit of work on the model (sword, chains, rings and some odds and ends) but I am hoping that by tomorrow evening, I can get enough done to get started- wish me luck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Dealer_(painting)
Carry on! And can we hope to see how this character is interwoven with the other characters we have come to know through your fascinating model scenes? Benedikt? His strange female companion? Arachnia? Eventually you will have to write an illustrated novel to explain it all.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:51 pm

"Man must believe to accomplish. Form is shadow, substance is illusion, materiality is dream; man is because he believes he is; what is man but a dream of the gods?"
conversation between Kull and the wizard from The Mirrors of Tuzan Thune - Robert E Howard.

Thank you Frank, Matt, and Minnie. I promise the ride will be interesting at least.

My starting image was taken with natural light coming in on the left from a northern window and a large soft box flash lighting from top right. I may be making a mistake giving it two light sources like that, we will see. The light from the left and shadows will have warmth. The light from to top-right will be cool in nature.

The photograph has been processed in ACR to reduce highlights and to emphasize shadows (flattened to bring out maximum detail) and then run thru Silver Effex to eliminate color. The photograph will serve a purpose similar in nature as what line art or a sketch would provide to an artist, it will be the thing that we paint on.

Form is shadow.
deathDealer1.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:33 pm

Oh boy!

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:23 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:33 pm
Oh boy!
LOL - already the customer (me) was not happy. I looked at reference art and felt that his horns weren't curved enough and that the sword hung wrong and light from the left was too strong and so I shot it again, from a higher position that better matches Frazetta's work. I'm not sure that the image is better, but things line up better.
deathDealer1.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:26 pm

this perspective allows the image more depth...

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:35 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:26 pm
this perspective allows the image more depth...
yeah, weird isn't it how much difference a slightly different position can make? Thank you for the verification that at least it was an improvement!

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:49 pm

Oh no, no, no, Piet......thank youuuu for indulging us.