"You Are The Difference!"

― Artistic Expression ShowcaseAugust Fingerwork #2 - Silly

Post Reply
User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4085
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

August Fingerwork #2 - Silly

Post by minniev » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:25 pm

I had a bout of Silly this weekend while practicing some of the techniques I'm attempting to learn for my class. I got carried away which is why I put it in the Showcase section, don't bother to critique it, it's not worth the time or trouble. But I do want to encourage anyone who doesn't play with their images to do so. Take on a new skill in whatever processing program you use or can acquire, and just let your mind and fingers ramble. It's kind of like writing in stream-of-consciousness style. You don't have a plan, you're just free-associating, only with images.

The only photograph here is the distorted cross-shape of a leaning pole at the end of a dock, and a floating log hooked to it somehow. The rest is my silly stuff.
Attachments
silly (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1933
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:35 am

Enjoyed your silly stuff..keep learning

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1473
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:18 pm

Min, I really like this. Love the undersee lantern being the counter punch to the yellow stars and sky area. The only, and I do mean Only thing bugging me about it is the cat/owl thing in the bottom left. For some reason it is jarring, but that perhaps is it's duty. A good jarring once in a while is called for. Love the colors and the mood and the whimsical nature of this.

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4085
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:32 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:18 pm
Min, I really like this. Love the undersee lantern being the counter punch to the yellow stars and sky area. The only, and I do mean Only thing bugging me about it is the cat/owl thing in the bottom left. For some reason it is jarring, but that perhaps is it's duty. A good jarring once in a while is called for. Love the colors and the mood and the whimsical nature of this.
Thanks Piet. I had fun with it. I'm thoroughly addicted to playing with this stuff. Maybe I'm learning something as I go?

Yes you read that one perfectly! The little figure is a trickster figure in the formline style, a sea wolf. He made me do it. I knew it didn't fit, there's nothing else formline in it, and nothing with red but him, but that was the point. Does it work? Probably not. But the place I where I was is inhabited by old gods and they do strange things, and enjoy a good laugh at the expense of humans.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1841
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:48 pm

I like it! Really like it! If I were to critique it (?) the one thing I might remove or at least ghost would be the owlish totem in the lower left corner. To me it's a thing too far, just kinda upsets the balance for me... (?)

Nertz. Didn't read Piet's post... :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4085
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:46 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:48 pm
I like it! Really like it! If I were to critique it (?) the one thing I might remove or at least ghost would be the owlish totem in the lower left corner. To me it's a thing too far, just kinda upsets the balance for me... (?)

Nertz. Didn't read Piet's post... :|
Thanks Chuck! The little sea wolf is a mischief figure, so he is supposed to be dissonant. But I agree, he stands out like a sore thumb!! I did reduce the reds in him, and may ghost him a little more.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4358
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:22 am

minniev wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:25 pm
I had a bout of Silly this weekend while practicing some of the techniques I'm attempting to learn for my class. I got carried away which is why I put it in the Showcase section, don't bother to critique it, it's not worth the time or trouble. But I do want to encourage anyone who doesn't play with their images to do so. Take on a new skill in whatever processing program you use or can acquire, and just let your mind and fingers ramble. It's kind of like writing in stream-of-consciousness style. You don't have a plan, you're just free-associating, only with images.

The only photograph here is the distorted cross-shape of a leaning pole at the end of a dock, and a floating log hooked to it somehow. The rest is my silly stuff.
You illustrate children's books too? You need a gallery! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest