― Artistic Expression ShowcaseA study in dueling

RBorud
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

A study in dueling

Post by RBorud » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:42 pm

HiAll After going to a medieval fair I tried making an impression of it in one image, here is my try. Thanks for looking. RBorud
Attachments
fractal bacground.jpg

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:13 pm

just WOW! Love how you replaced the background with the tent(?) and the color gradient that does such a beautiful job of outlining the man on the left with the color contrast, and the man on the right with value contrast and all the lines leading to his head. You created a stunning environment for them and I am just amazed by its effectiveness and by your creativity.

edit - and no critique implied, just listing the things that struck me about the image as an attempt to understand what makes you tick and to learn from it!

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by pop511 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:44 pm

Great work.
For a bit of fun. Duplicate the sword blades and put a motion blur on them..Yes..No?
ed davis

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:22 pm

Fascinating! What you did with tent effect and the color gradient is precisely aligned to bring the image to life, imparting energy and movement to the fencers. Your blending of art and photography is so seamless. I always enjoy “thinking through” your images.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:37 pm

Based on Piet's and Minnie's comments, that I agree with, it's the depth of field that grabs my attention. Very well done.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:36 am

This looks like serious stuff not the electronic kind with lights going on with a touch of the foil tip. Do they really make contact? Any blood drawn?

I second the praise and applause of the others. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

RBorud
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Post by RBorud » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:52 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:13 pm
just WOW! Love how you replaced the background with the tent(?) and the color gradient that does such a beautiful job of outlining the man on the left with the color contrast, and the man on the right with value contrast and all the lines leading to his head. You created a stunning environment for them and I am just amazed by its effectiveness and by your creativity.

edit - and no critique implied, just listing the things that struck me about the image as an attempt to understand what makes you tick and to learn from it!
Piet, I thank you for your deep look at my work, and lavish comments. A bit of explanation could be in order. The image was done in four layers. The tent was from a very long term collection of gradients, from many sources and also my own making, of which this one is. The lines is a layer I have made from a fractal program that does Flame fractals, a kind I love to work with. I constructed this fractal from that flame fractal program. The figures are from a shoot with some medieval reenactors I was working with. We had just finished a set that I thought would be new, I layed on the ground looking up, and they stood on either side of me and dueled, with the hope I would not be reduced to enbrochette with mother earth. When they moved away slightly I was squatting and was shooting bursts, so the figures are from different bursts. All this was put together after reviewing my different source files. I had a vague idea of what I wanted and had to laboriously think it all through, to as you see it. Great fun it was. Thanks for looking RBorud

RBorud
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Post by RBorud » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:53 pm

pop511 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:44 pm
Great work.
For a bit of fun. Duplicate the sword blades and put a motion blur on them..Yes..No?
Davis Thanks for you comments and idea which I will take into consideration. RBorud

RBorud
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Post by RBorud » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:55 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:22 pm
Fascinating! What you did with tent effect and the color gradient is precisely aligned to bring the image to life, imparting energy and movement to the fencers. Your blending of art and photography is so seamless. I always enjoy “thinking through” your images.
minniev, I thank you for your deep look at my work, and lavish comments. A bit of explanation could be in order. The image was done in four layers. The tent was from a very long term collection of gradients, from many sources and also my own making, of which this one is. The lines is a layer I have made from a fractal program that does Flame fractals, a kind I love to work with. I constructed this fractal from that flame fractal program. The figures are from a shoot with some medieval reenactors I was working with. We had just finished a set that I thought would be new, I layed on the ground looking up, and they stood on either side of me and dueled, with the hope I would not be reduced to enbrochette with mother earth. When they moved away slightly I was squatting and was shooting bursts, so the figures are from different bursts. All this was put together after reviewing my different source files. I had a vague idea of what I wanted and had to laboriously think it all through, to as you see it. Great fun it was. Thanks for looking RBorud

RBorud
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Post by RBorud » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:56 pm

davechinn wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:37 pm
Based on Piet's and Minnie's comments, that I agree with, it's the depth of field that grabs my attention. Very well done.
Dave
Thanks Dave it gives me inspiration. RBorud