Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: FingerWork

Post by minniev » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:30 pm

Duck wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:17 pm
minniev wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:09 am
Gee thanks Chuck, I’m glad there is at least one more voice hanging with me and those orange canisters. My thought, which is often erroneous, was that the colors were in a palette of reds and oranges and that peaches were a mix of both thus the separated tones could be tolerated. I hoped the verticals of the glass jars might hold the eye in on that side and offset the busy patterns of the curtains, their shadows and the added texture.

Don't get me wrong, Minnie, I'm not saying your presentation is wrong. There is merit to your composition. I find the current composition to have a particular dynamic back-and-forth between the bowl of fruit and the jars. For me, that seemed at odds with the rather peaceful feel of the bowl of fruit in the window. In short, they are two sides of the same coin and is entirely up to you as the artist to express how you see it. As with any critique here, you take what you want and discard the rest. ;)
I know. What I like most about your critiques, Duck, is how you make me think about what I’ve done and defend my decisions to myself, or challenge or change them. That is an exercise in learning and a valuable gift!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:27 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:30 pm
I know. What I like most about your critiques, Duck, is how you make me think about what I’ve done and defend my decisions to myself, or challenge or change them. That is an exercise in learning and a valuable gift!

:goon: Warm fuzzies
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:43 pm

Wow? While I’m close to speechless, I’ll render a solemn objective response:
Unbe-darn-lieve-able and a-freakin-mazing!
Wonderfully conceived and beautifully rendered!
Yeah! I’m impressed!

Dave

and by the bye, Min, at the meeting I recently attended they really liked the 3D version of your “Path through the woods”! It was a “hit”!

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:00 am

uuglypher wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:43 pm
Wow? While I’m close to speechless, I’ll render a solemn objective response:
Unbe-darn-lieve-able and a-freakin-mazing!
Wonderfully conceived and beautifully rendered!
Yeah! I’m impressed!

Dave

and by the bye, Min, at the meeting I recently attended they really liked the 3D version of your “Path through the woods”! It was a “hit”!

Gee thanks Dave. I’m glad you like it. I’m sorta surprised to see so many positive responses, as some of the things I did here were new to me, and my confidence in them was near zero. I have a rather fixated attachment to my own kitchen window in this new/old house, so I keep on shooting it in morning light, and will eventually bore everyone silly with it.

I don’t remember which image that was, but I’m glad they enjoyed it and you know you are always welcome to use my photos in your projects. We are all proud of what you’ve accomplished in this unique area.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:02 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:00 am
Gee thanks Dave. I’m glad you like it. I’m sorta surprised to see so many positive responses, as some of the things I did here were new to me, and my confidence in them was near zero. I have a rather fixated attachment to my own kitchen window in this new/old house, so I keep on shooting it in morning light, and will eventually bore everyone silly with it.

I don’t remember which image that was, but I’m glad they enjoyed it and you know you are always welcome to use my photos in your projects. We are all proud of what you’ve accomplished in this unique area.
I kinda hate to again bring up a certain painter-who-shall-not-be-named-but spent-70-years-painting-pretty-much-nothing-but-his-surroundings, but... :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:06 pm

Minnie,

I can almost feel the fuzz on the peaches and hear the buzz of the bees in the yard. Is that honeysuckle on the breeze? More wizardry.

I agree partially with Duck that the color of the jar, not the jar itself, pulls my eye away from the bowl of fruit. I fight slightly with it to want to return to the peaches. I noticed the triangle you wrote about in a comment on one of my shore photos: bowl, glass, jar. So I wouldn't eliminate the jar but would tone it down to where it serves more as a prop than a main element. Also, I have second thoughts about the value of the second jar in the shadows; it distracts me and pulls my eye away to the right of the frame and down. I ask myself "Why did she include that?" and have no answer.

I am stalled in my b&w work and think an on-line course might help. So, I will search for one. Can you say what course you are taking? Do they have b&s courses, do you know ?

Glorious work, ma'm.

Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:02 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:02 pm

I kinda hate to again bring up a certain painter-who-shall-not-be-named-but spent-70-years-painting-pretty-much-nothing-but-his-surroundings, but... :|
You caught me again Chuck. This window is my [certain painter who shall not be named] window, my Wind From The Sea. It has been for my entire life. It is what seduced me to plough my savings into salvaging this old wreck. It isn’t something I can explain rationally but I bet he couldn’t either. As a kid I tried to draw it. Now I photograph it.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:22 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:06 pm
Minnie,

I can almost feel the fuzz on the peaches and hear the buzz of the bees in the yard. Is that honeysuckle on the breeze? More wizardry.

I agree partially with Duck that the color of the jar, not the jar itself, pulls my eye away from the bowl of fruit. I fight slightly with it to want to return to the peaches. I noticed the triangle you wrote about in a comment on one of my shore photos: bowl, glass, jar. So I wouldn't eliminate the jar but would tone it down to where it serves more as a prop than a main element. Also, I have second thoughts about the value of the second jar in the shadows; it distracts me and pulls my eye away to the right of the frame and down. I ask myself "Why did she include that?" and have no answer.

I am stalled in my b&w work and think an on-line course might help. So, I will search for one. Can you say what course you are taking? Do they have b&s courses, do you know ?

Glorious work, ma'm.

Matt
Thanks Matt. When I get home and get back onto Photoshop I’ll try to tone the oranges down a tad.

Re: the second glass jar, why did she include that? :) Because it is there. I have never done still life where I arrange anything. I just notice something I want to capture and do it but the something is already there. I have to get better at spotting some distractions and removing them. A few days ago I took a picture of a wooden basket of green beans and tomato’s on my cousins kitchen table. She stopped me and snatched up some terrible distractions that I hadn’t even seen. Lots of room for me to improve!

As for the course, I am taking “Awake” which is a doozy, and has prerequisites. The same instructor has one called Creative Black and White that’s very reasonable https://go.creativeblackandwhite.com/special. There’s lots of good courses I’m sure. I got on this road because I wanted to know more about layers and how to use textures, and more about black and white work. I took the course I linked for you and felt it was worth more than I paid for it. The jury is still out on the current course which I’ve just now begun. Time will tell.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:58 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:02 pm
Charles Haacker wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:02 pm

You caught me again Chuck. This window is my [certain painter who shall not be named] window, my Wind From The Sea. It has been for my entire life. It is what seduced me to plough my savings into salvaging this old wreck. It isn’t something I can explain rationally but I bet he couldn’t either. As a kid I tried to draw it. Now I photograph it.
Wow! This is an awesome story.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:10 am

Fine art, or should I say Fine Art! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"