"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

― Artistic Expression ShowcaseFingerWork

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Posts: 3211
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

FingerWork

Post by minniev » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:51 pm

I'm taking an online class, a dangerous activity that I could come to regret. I haven't done one in a couple of years, so I'm trying. One of the suggestions at this phase is to turn out 3 quick images a day that include layering, masking, textures, objects, to try to get more comfortable with using those things in PS, so it won't be so arduous when new content is introduced. They call it "fingerwork" and compare it to playing scales on the piano.

So I drummed up this thing. I was intending to remove some more of the texture from the bowl and fruit but I haven't got around to it yet, so I'll leave it out there for any ideas anyone has while I'm separated from PS for a weekend in my country house.
Attachments
fingers (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1296
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:27 pm

Absolutely stunning photo Minnie !!! The texture & color tone is a pleasing view, not to mention the country environment this image produces. A dangerous activity online class can have it's plus's and if this is part of the results, sign me up !!!
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2417
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Duck » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:49 pm

Minnie, I am always envious of your texture work. It is something I can't do easily and have a hard time pre visualizing.

There is a lot I love about this image but I find the orange jars rather intrusive, compositional speaking. You have placed the bowl of fruit as the primary subject in this gorgeous pool of light and framed by colorful checkered curtains. That creates a wonderful balance within the frame. That composition alone creates a quiet harmony that is very pleasing to the eye. Unfortunately, for me, the orange jars pull my attention and because they fade off into shadow on the edge, it pulls my eye away from the bowl and out the edge of the photo. Not a good thing.

There are a couple solutions you can try; reshoot and remove the jars from the composition (keep the glass) or re edit and remove the color from them so they don't compete. While you're at it, and since I mentioned pulling the eye out of the frame... The curtain at right pulls the eye upwards too much. Consider terminating it a little tighter to the composition.

On an aside, I love the little subtle additions in the corners (dragonfly and flowers). It adds to the overall mood and feel of the images without taking away from it. A nice touch of whimsy.

As always, just my two cents. Hope it helps.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1129
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:14 pm

I love the feeling of light and atmosphere flowing/flooding into the room. Duck makes good points about the jar, it steals from the bowl. The lower right texture is a beauty all by itself, I love the low saturated detail and values of those flowers.

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1787
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:27 pm

Love it. Loveitloveitloveitloveitloveit! I cannot agree about the jars. On scrolling down to see it for the first time I made one of those back-in-the-throat noises that used to drive poor Daphne nuts when I did it, kind of a Whoooooooooooo thing, but anyhoo my eye went straight to the bowl of yummy peaches (back light, back light) and stopped. For me everything else is atmosphere. The overall look is very warm and inviting. I think the lighted jar just adds to the warmth but (for me) does not intrude. It might if it were a cooler color, say blue or green; then it might compete for attention, but the amber works for me. Min, if you think it's intrusive it would be easy enough to just select it and pull its value down a little but I think the whole picture is perfect as is. (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Posts: 3211
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:42 am

davechinn wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:27 pm
Absolutely stunning photo Minnie !!! The texture & color tone is a pleasing view, not to mention the country environment this image produces. A dangerous activity online class can have it's plus's and if this is part of the results, sign me up !!!
Dave
Thanks Dave, i learn a lot from all y’all and on my own but every once in a while I try to reach outside my comfort zone to try something new.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Posts: 3211
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:55 am

Duck wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:49 pm
Minnie, I am always envious of your texture work. It is something I can't do easily and have a hard time pre visualizing.

There is a lot I love about this image but I find the orange jars rather intrusive, compositional speaking. You have placed the bowl of fruit as the primary subject in this gorgeous pool of light and framed by colorful checkered curtains. That creates a wonderful balance within the frame. That composition alone creates a quiet harmony that is very pleasing to the eye. Unfortunately, for me, the orange jars pull my attention and because they fade off into shadow on the edge, it pulls my eye away from the bowl and out the edge of the photo. Not a good thing.

There are a couple solutions you can try; reshoot and remove the jars from the composition (keep the glass) or re edit and remove the color from them so they don't compete. While you're at it, and since I mentioned pulling the eye out of the frame... The curtain at right pulls the eye upwards too much. Consider terminating it a little tighter to the composition.

On an aside, I love the little subtle additions in the corners (dragonfly and flowers). It adds to the overall mood and feel of the images without taking away from it. A nice touch of whimsy.

As always, just my two cents. Hope it helps.
Of course it helps! Your detailed reviews always do. And I will say that I often agree with your assessment. When I don’t, you force me to consider why I did what I did and defend my position with more than whim so I learn a lot from that too! Since those were the last peaches of the season, I can’t reshoot unfortunately, but I can tinker with color. (The bowl is full of avocados and oranges this week so a different photo perhaps.)

I agree about the curtain. I am of split minds on the orange canisters though I knew there was a color clash when I shot it. I’ll try fiddling with the color and see... what yjh*h
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Posts: 3211
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:01 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:14 pm
I love the feeling of light and atmosphere flowing/flooding into the room. Duck makes good points about the jar, it steals from the bowl. The lower right texture is a beauty all by itself, I love the low saturated detail and values of those flowers.
Thank you Piet, I am trying to learn to work with small elements and integrating them into a piece. I know the orange clashes. I’m still unsure what to do with that clash now but will start with the color controls and move on from there.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Posts: 3211
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:09 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:27 pm
Love it. Loveitloveitloveitloveitloveit! I cannot agree about the jars. On scrolling down to see it for the first time I made one of those back-in-the-throat noises that used to drive poor Daphne nuts when I did it, kind of a Whoooooooooooo thing, but anyhoo my eye went straight to the bowl of yummy peaches (back light, back light) and stopped. For me everything else is atmosphere. The overall look is very warm and inviting. I think the lighted jar just adds to the warmth but (for me) does not intrude. It might if it were a cooler color, say blue or green; then it might compete for attention, but the amber works for me. Min, if you think it's intrusive it would be easy enough to just select it and pull its value down a little but I think the whole picture is perfect as is. (OK)
Gee thanks Chuck, I’m glad there is at least one more voice hanging with me and those orange canisters. My thought, which is often erroneous, was that the colors were in a palette of reds and oranges and that peaches were a mix of both thus the separated tones could be tolerated. I hoped the verticals of the glass jars might hold the eye in on that side and offset the busy patterns of the curtains, their shadows and the added texture.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2417
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Duck » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:17 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:09 am
Gee thanks Chuck, I’m glad there is at least one more voice hanging with me and those orange canisters. My thought, which is often erroneous, was that the colors were in a palette of reds and oranges and that peaches were a mix of both thus the separated tones could be tolerated. I hoped the verticals of the glass jars might hold the eye in on that side and offset the busy patterns of the curtains, their shadows and the added texture.

Don't get me wrong, Minnie, I'm not saying your presentation is wrong. There is merit to your composition. I find the current composition to have a particular dynamic back-and-forth between the bowl of fruit and the jars. For me, that seemed at odds with the rather peaceful feel of the bowl of fruit in the window. In short, they are two sides of the same coin and is entirely up to you as the artist to express how you see it. As with any critique here, you take what you want and discard the rest. ;)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests