― Artistic Expression ShowcaseStorm

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Storm

Post by minniev » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:10 am

OK! I was able to paint on the new layer. I now know how to make a gradient map with paint!
Now I've gotta figure out what to do with it, how to make it useful. My first foray is quite hideous but I didn't have any plan since I didn't know what I was doing anyway. Do you control the color by the blending modes too? The little triangle thingys under the gradient bar make some changes like you said.

Thank you Patient Piet!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:18 am

minniev wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:10 am
OK! I was able to paint on the new layer. I now know how to make a gradient map with paint!
Now I've gotta figure out what to do with it, how to make it useful. My first foray is quite hideous but I didn't have any plan since I didn't know what I was doing anyway. Do you control the color by the blending modes too? The little triangle thingys under the gradient bar make some changes like you said.

Thank you Patient Piet!
LOL -- so anyway, on your "color" layer, you lay down colors in a rough fashion, like a kid with a coloring book - mixing up your colors a little bit is always a good idea. But it never looks great. Then you add another layer on top and set it to "overlay". On the Overlay layer, you will pick a color and paint over the areas that are being hit by light. Be ready to do ctrl-z if you don't like the effect, just pick a different color to overlay. And then you create a new layer and set it to multiply. That layer will be for modifying/darkening your shadows. then another layer called screen. On the screen layer, grab colors from nearby areas and drop them on your subject in strategic spots. It makes it look like it fits, since it is stealing light from surrounding areas.

Anyway, that is what I've been doing to color my coloring book of toy soldiers lately. Just doing that is making me learn a lot about color and how to better manipulate it.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:27 am

I think I'd understand it better if I understood what kind of image it works on besides the toy soldiers which I adore. I'm gonna try another image and go forth. I appreciate this so much, and I hope others will take the time to follow along.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:33 am

I'm wondering if it can be condensed into a tutorial? It's everything one would need, except the practice! Duck, are you listening?

Thank you again Piet, and when I go through another image I may post it and get you to tell me where I ran off the rails, as I surely will.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:23 am

Here’s one I played with. I took all the color out then painted it back in again with gradient map though I’m sure I did it wrong. I lost all detail in the door so masked it back in at reduced opacity and dabbed around on it. Then texture on top. All the colors are richer.

This has potential but I’m a long way from realizing it.
Attachments
evening.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:26 am

minniev wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:23 am
Here’s one I played with. I took all the color out then painted it back in again with gradient map though I’m sure I did it wrong. I lost all detail in the door so masked it back in at reduced opacity and dabbed around on it. Then texture on top. All the colors are richer.

Whatever you've done it turned out fabulous...great job

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:30 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:26 am
Whatever you've done it turned out fabulous...great job
I just followed Piet's tutorial on this thread. Other than that, I don't have a clue what I'm doing. But I do see its possibilities.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:02 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:23 am

WOW!!!!! OMG, this is wonderful. I would ask how you did this, but I am supposed to know the answer to that. I think it is surreal stupendous wonderful. You took an ordinary scene and turned it into a magical place. I only wish I could take the credit for that. I love that carpet. I love that splash of reflecting blue on the left wall, those couches look so damn cool, the soft shadows on the wall at the doorway, the list just goes on and on.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:40 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:02 pm

WOW!!!!! OMG, this is wonderful. I would ask how you did this, but I am supposed to know the answer to that. I think it is surreal stupendous wonderful. You took an ordinary scene and turned it into a magical place. I only wish I could take the credit for that. I love that carpet. I love that splash of reflecting blue on the left wall, those couches look so damn cool, the soft shadows on the wall at the doorway, the list just goes on and on.
Gee thanks Piet. But it’s your accomplishment. I didn’t have the first clue what I was doing except following your lead. I cobbled together all the instructions so I can try again later in the week when I get home and have Photoshop at my disposal. Here I have an assortment of lesser beings.

The scene is my west-facing front door, with the setting sun pouring in. I’m pretty enamoured of the light I get that time of day here but there isn’t much to shoot besides old furniture. In the photo the colors were pretty dark, but with the paint I could bring them out. I parked a duplicate of the background layer on top where I could turn it on to sample colors and turn it off to paint with them, then I masked out the image layer and painted the door back in a little to get some color and detail. Everything else I just copcatted you. What kind of brushes do you use for this? I kept experimenting with brushes but dont’ have a firm grasp on that.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:52 am

minniev wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:40 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:02 pm

Gee thanks Piet. But it’s your accomplishment. I didn’t have the first clue what I was doing except following your lead. I cobbled together all the instructions so I can try again later in the week when I get home and have Photoshop at my disposal. Here I have an assortment of lesser beings.

The scene is my west-facing front door, with the setting sun pouring in. I’m pretty enamoured of the light I get that time of day here but there isn’t much to shoot besides old furniture. In the photo the colors were pretty dark, but with the paint I could bring them out. I parked a duplicate of the background layer on top where I could turn it on to sample colors and turn it off to paint with them, then I masked out the image layer and painted the door back in a little to get some color and detail. Everything else I just copcatted you. What kind of brushes do you use for this? I kept experimenting with brushes but dont’ have a firm grasp on that.
Hey, I didn't figure this stuff out, I just kept hunting and hunting and finally saw something that doesn't turn the colors to grey mush. I like the idea of parking the original on top and sampling from it - I am going to start doing that. I've brought the original back on top and with a mask brought colors back, but I like the sampling idea Much better. About brushes... I don't know much about them.. EXCEPT recently I procured Grutbrushes for twenty bucks or so. There were something like 350 of them in the 20 dollar package and some of them are pretty good.

I only use a small handful of them for instance, but included is a mixer brush that is awesome. I use it to paint the edges of my figures to take out the hard edge. It works as a blending brush and does a nice job of softening hard edges. That brush by itself made me happy to have bought the set. The others I just have not become familiar with yet. They work great with a tablet.