The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

― Artistic Expression ShowcaseStorm

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Storm

Post by PietFrancke » Wed May 30, 2018 12:00 pm

yes, POST screen shot - I can mark up the screen shot for a visual answer. Verbal answer for part of this: To the left of a given layer, there is a small eyeball. If you click on it, it turns the layer On and Off. Also, using masks is key to getting only Part of a layer to shine through. Send a screen shot, that is the best way because then we can be super specific and do a bunch of back and forth!

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed May 30, 2018 3:14 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:00 pm
yes, POST screen shot - I can mark up the screen shot for a visual answer. Verbal answer for part of this: To the left of a given layer, there is a small eyeball. If you click on it, it turns the layer On and Off. Also, using masks is key to getting only Part of a layer to shine through. Send a screen shot, that is the best way because then we can be super specific and do a bunch of back and forth!
Thanks Piet. Will post screen shot later today. Am on my mbp at the moment; the photo is on my iMac downstairs.

In the meantime I have done the clicking on and off of the eyeball but the workspace image stays the same. As I burn a bit or dodge a bit on a layer, I want to see the effect but the icon in the layer is too small. Look forward to the help. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed May 30, 2018 3:55 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:14 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:00 pm
Thanks Piet. Will post screen shot later today. Am on my mbp at the moment; the photo is on my iMac downstairs.

In the meantime I have done the clicking on and off of the eyeball but the workspace image stays the same. As I burn a bit or dodge a bit on a layer, I want to see the effect but the icon in the layer is too small. Look forward to the help. Matt
Communication is difficult on graphic things.. I recommend we do a back and forth one step at a time (when you are at your PC). We will do one screen at a time until it makes sense.

For a given layer, if the eyeball is on, your entire screen is a depiction of that layer (plus the visible layers under it). To maintain an understanding and to have good communication, we will do THIS:

1) Start with a B/W image - it is your ONLY LAYER.
2) Click eyeball on your only layer and watch your image appear and disappear.
3) Create a new transparent empty layer above it
4) Click on that layer to make it active
5) Select a brush and make your color bright red
6) Paint a bright red circle in the middle of the screen
7) Click your new layer's eyeball and watch the red ball appear and disappear.

it may be that you are getting layer and mask confused... We will find out!!!

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Wed May 30, 2018 4:43 pm

I fear my knowledge is simply too primitive to do this. I have no idea what to do with the gradient map which looks like a negative of the image. I see no place to argue with it about colors. And I don't have any idea how to get colors or choose brushes. As you can see, I am a hopeless case. Then I realized I had no idea what it means to prepare an image for painting anyway. Back to school for me...

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:30 pm

We pull together Min... here are some notes I took that might help make some heads and tails of it. Not all from that video, but you will see the concept.

Layer 9] Copy of background layer set to color mode with lowered opacity and masked to bring back some colors from the original
Layer 8] Screen layer (for bounce light) - redirected light bouncing from the surrounding environment. Steal colors from background and add to figures.
Layer 7] screen, add some cool color to the shade side of the object
Layer 6] screen, add some warm color to the sunny side of the subject
Layer 5] Multiply layer (to deepen any shadows that want drama)
Layer 4] Overlay layer (hit the highlights to brighten them up
Layer 3] Color layer (double clicked to add blending parameters for the layer underneath)
Layer 2] Gradient Map - setting base colors. Black on left, blue/purple at 70 percent mark, light tan at 30 percent mark, white on right. (the purpose of this layer is to help the above color layer. Brights will be warmer automatically, and darks will be cooler automatically)
Layer 1] Grey scale layer to help the overlay and color layer.
Background Layer] Prepared image for painting
Thank you for the more understandable translation, I will give it a whirl when I get home Wednesday. I’m without PS when I’m in the country. I may have to ask questions though.
[/quote]

Looking forward to your return!!
[/quote]
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed May 30, 2018 5:03 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 4:43 pm
I fear my knowledge is simply too primitive to do this. I have no idea what to do with the gradient map which looks like a negative of the image. I see no place to argue with it about colors. And I don't have any idea how to get colors or choose brushes. As you can see, I am a hopeless case. Then I realized I had no idea what it means to prepare an image for painting anyway. Back to school for me...

I understand completely. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNdyFvhwkFo -- three minutes covers most of what you need

"prepare an image for painting", you read way more into that than needed. Simply meant to do the normal photoshop edits to make your image look good - and then turn it into a grey image.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu May 31, 2018 6:18 pm

started over for a different spin.. Someday I will have monsters clawing their way up to him.

or perhaps running away..
Storm3.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Thu May 31, 2018 6:35 pm

I like this one the best so far...especially the effects on the sword

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu May 31, 2018 6:41 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:35 pm
I like this one the best so far...especially the effects on the sword
thanks Frank - good to know I'm moving forward!

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:19 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 5:03 pm
minniev wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 4:43 pm

I understand completely. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNdyFvhwkFo -- three minutes covers most of what you need

"prepare an image for painting", you read way more into that than needed. Simply meant to do the normal photoshop edits to make your image look good - and then turn it into a grey image.
Well I’m to step 2 in your list. I’ve figured out how to do the gradient map, more or less. I can’t figure out what to do with it but I’ve created one!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:59 pm

Hi Min, While on step 2, we will now make the gradient be one that you want. See screen shot,

1) when you open the tool, you see the default gradient (I think), probably just black to white
2) If you click on the gradient bar, then Dialog 3) comes up.
4) should be set to Black
7) should be set to White (just click on the little paint bottle on the bottom of the bar and a color dialog comes up)

You can also create new points on the line just by clicking on it, see points 5) and 6) --- Set point 5 to a darker purple/blue color and set point 6 to a tannish/pink lighter color.

After you have done so, then you can click on the "new" button and it will save your gradient into the swatches list above the bar (so that you can just click on it next time)..

After you have done this, then we can discuss how to use it!!!
Min.jpg