Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Storm

Post by PietFrancke » Mon May 28, 2018 7:13 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 6:11 pm
Stunning Piet. Working on a haiku at the moment; will post if it births. Curious, two of the three are left handed. Matt.
awesome, looking forward to haiku - My World, two out of three are left handed. They have left handed swords, left handed horses, and left handed microwave machines!!

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Mon May 28, 2018 8:04 pm

Interesting...thanks for sharing this

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue May 29, 2018 2:29 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:04 pm
Interesting...thanks for sharing this
you are welcome sir..

I tried to clean it up a little. One intent was to try to limit the palette to complementary colors - yellow/red and blue/cyan. Also I took background elements and lowered the contrast and the structure, but for the hero horse and soldier, I increased structure and contrast giving the image a little more punch (I hope anyway).
Storms2.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Psjunkie » Tue May 29, 2018 3:01 am

I can see the differences when comparing and would choose this rendition over the original. While you have presented this in showcase I feel reluctant to comment but with you expounding on your intention I feel compelled.....a marvelous piece of work without question but the whole blur bit just seems a touch overpowering to me Piet, I cannot pin it down, but maybe I feel it should be more motion blur oriented rather than gaussian, topazed (a new word), or whatever has caused it....just my 2 cents.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Tue May 29, 2018 4:01 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:30 pm
minniev wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 11:35 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 1:19 am

<blush>, a lucky hit Minnie. Here is the setup - no big deal.

storm setup.jpg

Now, listen. All I did was follow a tutorial (the painting part). Google Artgerm. He has a you-tube (sp) that explains how he uses a gradient to control his color layer. I feel that his technique is critical to you, to me, to Linda, to anyone who wants to produce beautiful colors on landscapes, foggy scenes, etc. You need to watch his you-tube - I am sure that the technique he presents would work on any type of image (not just grey scale). It is worth an hour to watch the first time, and then another hour to make it sink in.

Vivid, beautiful, easy to produce color at your finger tips!!!!

edit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB9Jui9wQNg
Oh my. My admiration increases after seeing the set up and especially after watching the tutorial. He is very talented. But that you could (a) understand him and (b) follow the steps is dizzyingly impressive. I’ll try again on a bigger screen and see. I got a few basics with brushes and blending modes but the gradient map and all those different layers and colors flew over my head like a flock of geese.
We pull together Min... here are some notes I took that might help make some heads and tails of it. Not all from that video, but you will see the concept.

Layer 9] Copy of background layer set to color mode with lowered opacity and masked to bring back some colors from the original
Layer 8] Screen layer (for bounce light) - redirected light bouncing from the surrounding environment. Steal colors from background and add to figures.
Layer 7] screen, add some cool color to the shade side of the object
Layer 6] screen, add some warm color to the sunny side of the subject
Layer 5] Multiply layer (to deepen any shadows that want drama)
Layer 4] Overlay layer (hit the highlights to brighten them up
Layer 3] Color layer (double clicked to add blending parameters for the layer underneath)
Layer 2] Gradient Map - setting base colors. Black on left, blue/purple at 70 percent mark, light tan at 30 percent mark, white on right. (the purpose of this layer is to help the above color layer. Brights will be warmer automatically, and darks will be cooler automatically)
Layer 1] Grey scale layer to help the overlay and color layer.
Background Layer] Prepared image for painting
Thank you for the more understandable translation, I will give it a whirl when I get home Wednesday. I’m without PS when I’m in the country. I may have to ask questions though.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue May 29, 2018 10:01 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:01 am
I can see the differences when comparing and would choose this rendition over the original. While you have presented this in showcase I feel reluctant to comment but with you expounding on your intention I feel compelled.....a marvelous piece of work without question but the whole blur bit just seems a touch overpowering to me Piet, I cannot pin it down, but maybe I feel it should be more motion blur oriented rather than gaussian, topazed (a new word), or whatever has caused it....just my 2 cents.

Thank you Frank, like always, I apprecieate your observation. Makes me think and learn.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue May 29, 2018 10:02 am

minniev wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 4:01 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:30 pm
minniev wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 11:35 am

Oh my. My admiration increases after seeing the set up and especially after watching the tutorial. He is very talented. But that you could (a) understand him and (b) follow the steps is dizzyingly impressive. I’ll try again on a bigger screen and see. I got a few basics with brushes and blending modes but the gradient map and all those different layers and colors flew over my head like a flock of geese.
We pull together Min... here are some notes I took that might help make some heads and tails of it. Not all from that video, but you will see the concept.

Layer 9] Copy of background layer set to color mode with lowered opacity and masked to bring back some colors from the original
Layer 8] Screen layer (for bounce light) - redirected light bouncing from the surrounding environment. Steal colors from background and add to figures.
Layer 7] screen, add some cool color to the shade side of the object
Layer 6] screen, add some warm color to the sunny side of the subject
Layer 5] Multiply layer (to deepen any shadows that want drama)
Layer 4] Overlay layer (hit the highlights to brighten them up
Layer 3] Color layer (double clicked to add blending parameters for the layer underneath)
Layer 2] Gradient Map - setting base colors. Black on left, blue/purple at 70 percent mark, light tan at 30 percent mark, white on right. (the purpose of this layer is to help the above color layer. Brights will be warmer automatically, and darks will be cooler automatically)
Layer 1] Grey scale layer to help the overlay and color layer.
Background Layer] Prepared image for painting
Thank you for the more understandable translation, I will give it a whirl when I get home Wednesday. I’m without PS when I’m in the country. I may have to ask questions though.

Looking forward to your return!!

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed May 30, 2018 3:07 am

Piet,

Thought I had posted this earlier but evidently didn't .. Here you go:

playful creator
world from his hands springs stormful
charged with darkling light

Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed May 30, 2018 11:34 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:07 am
Piet,

playful creator

Matt
Thank you Matt, I think I will attempt this again, got some great clouds and sunset last night, need more layers of figures. Someday would love to have a Frazetta Death Dealer feel to the effort.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed May 30, 2018 11:55 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 11:34 am
Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:07 am
Piet,

playful creator

Matt
Thank you Matt, I think I will attempt this again, got some great clouds and sunset last night, need more layers of figures. Someday would love to have a Frazetta Death Dealer feel to the effort.
Piet, Good morning. I am struggling with a specific issue in PS right now. I have several layers in the layers panel, each with a different effect. How do I look at each of them separately and how do I combine them to see the total result? I can send you a screen shot if you want. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange