The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

― Artistic Expression ShowcaseA Frustrated Abstract Artist (Sometimes We Just Play)

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Posts: 3436
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

A Frustrated Abstract Artist (Sometimes We Just Play)

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:32 pm

This is my favorite egret of the season. He has a perfectly lovely green mask on his beak, but he hasn't found a mate. I think it is because of his bedraggled tail. He had spent much time alone beneath the dam last week, and since he and the other few stragglers could not get on their perches, they were balancing on the sloping concrete pillars. Confined to a small area, they made a bigger mess than usual. Since I don't clone out bird poop, and this was too much poop to make a decent image with, I used a cupful of Topaz to imagine my lonely egret as a frustrated feathered Jackson Pollack.
Attachments
birdart (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
mikec
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:06 pm
Location: Miami, Florida
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first
Contact:

Post by mikec » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:00 pm

Minnie, I like it. But I think because your explanation gave me the context. Can't see the green though.
Mike C
Enjoying the sun and sea in Miami, FL

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2480
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Duck » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:48 pm

The narrative is hilarious. I think had the wall been cleaner it wouldn't have the same visual appeal. The white blotches actually with the scene an added level of texture that fits right in. Besides, nature is as nature does.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Posts: 3436
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:13 pm

mikec wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:00 pm
Minnie, I like it. But I think because your explanation gave me the context. Can't see the green though.
Thanks Mike, the green is just a little strip around his beak. Can see it better in close ups like this, out in the river viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3835
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Posts: 3436
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:14 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:48 pm
The narrative is hilarious. I think had the wall been cleaner it wouldn't have the same visual appeal. The white blotches actually with the scene an added level of texture that fits right in. Besides, nature is as nature does.
Thanks Duck. The bird poop made me do it, it looked like bad abstract art so I made the rest of it around the poop. And I had to have something to do while I was forbidden to drive following cataract surgery. I can at least squint at the computer one-eyed and play with pictures a bit.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1207
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:32 pm

good shot, sometimes the bird just does what it gots to do. There isn't always a statue within easy flying distance.

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Posts: 3436
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:24 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:32 pm
good shot, sometimes the bird just does what it gots to do. There isn't always a statue within easy flying distance.
Frustration can breed artistry, whether it is good or not is always debatable.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Posts: 2335
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:26 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:32 pm
This is my favorite egret of the season. He has a perfectly lovely green mask on his beak, but he hasn't found a mate. I think it is because of his bedraggled tail. He had spent much time alone beneath the dam last week, and since he and the other few stragglers could not get on their perches, they were balancing on the sloping concrete pillars. Confined to a small area, they made a bigger mess than usual. Since I don't clone out bird poop, and this was too much poop to make a decent image with, I used a cupful of Topaz to imagine my lonely egret as a frustrated feathered Jackson Pollack.
I know what such frustration feels like. So, here's my playing.

Matt
Attachments
photoMentoris-185.jpg
photoMentoris-185.jpg (292.53 KiB) Viewed 277 times
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Posts: 3436
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:33 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:26 pm
minniev wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:32 pm
This is my favorite egret of the season. He has a perfectly lovely green mask on his beak, but he hasn't found a mate. I think it is because of his bedraggled tail. He had spent much time alone beneath the dam last week, and since he and the other few stragglers could not get on their perches, they were balancing on the sloping concrete pillars. Confined to a small area, they made a bigger mess than usual. Since I don't clone out bird poop, and this was too much poop to make a decent image with, I used a cupful of Topaz to imagine my lonely egret as a frustrated feathered Jackson Pollack.
I know what such frustration feels like. So, here's my playing.

Matt
That sort looks like what my eyesight feels like about now..
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Posts: 2335
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:51 pm

That sort looks like what my eyesight feels like about now..

Can you guess what this is/was?
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests