"Photograph things you care about, not what you think others want to see. There is no substitution for passion." —Sarah Rice

― Artistic Expression ShowcaseMall Walking

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Mall Walking

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:58 pm

Couldn't quite figger out where these should go. Daphne and I used to go "mall walking" for exercise in winter in Madison, WI. I don't know how many places offer it but it seems common in enclosed malls in the Midwest. The stores don't open until 10 usually but the mall opens its doors at 7 so folks can come in out of the deathly cold and get some exercise. No one ever runs, just walks. The full trip around is probably 7/10 of a mile or so. I would often bring a camera for fun as a mall in the early morning has a certain creep factor. My son has been telling me I need to get back into things now, plus I have my new Sony A6000, so this morning I decided I should go take a walk and while I was at it try out the new camera. I only took the short 16-50 kit lens, just for fun:

If you would like to see all 21 photos, this is the link.

ImageAll shoes $25 or less by Charles Haacker, on Flickr

ImageLevel Headed Ladies by Charles Haacker, on Flickr

ImageModern Mo'ai 3 by Charles Haacker, on Flickr

ImageBigger Portions by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:02 pm

Interesting Chuck...

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:40 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:58 pm
Couldn't quite figger out where these should go. Daphne and I used to go "mall walking" for exercise in winter in Madison, WI. I don't know how many places offer it but it seems common in enclosed malls in the Midwest. The stores don't open until 10 usually but the mall opens its doors at 7 so folks can come in out of the deathly cold and get some exercise. No one ever runs, just walks. The full trip around is probably 7/10 of a mile or so. I would often bring a camera for fun as a mall in the early morning has a certain creep factor. My son has been telling me I need to get back into things now, plus I have my new Sony A6000, so this morning I decided I should go take a walk and while I was at it try out the new camera. I only took the short 16-50 kit lens, just for fun:

If you would like to see all 21 photos, this is the link.

ImageAll shoes $25 or less by Charles Haacker, on Flickr

ImageLevel Headed Ladies by Charles Haacker, on Flickr

ImageModern Mo'ai 3 by Charles Haacker, on Flickr

ImageBigger Portions by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
Chuck, I like #3; took me a moment to realize it's a mirror image. Great lines, great interest. Ghosts enhance it. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:29 pm

Great set Chuck, and like Matt, you've found a way to make artistic images in a mall, no mean accomplishment. I like #3 and #4 best.

I #3 (and in the similar images on the Flickr page), you've created a sense of mystery and imbalance between the reflected mannequins and the ones we actually see, and that combination of traits is so very engaging. The reflected-mannequin set would be a good bunch to take into black and white conversion for an even more artistic rendering.

I am always a fan of candy-in-a-jar shots, and this one's a well done example of how to do it right.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:47 pm

Great eye, Chuck! #3 is highly engaging to me. Shooting reflections can be like switching the brain to think in black & white. Our eyes are so used to editing out those reflections as we gaze at the window displays!

I used to do the mall walk around 7 a.m. in winter (the Union Gap mall, adjacent to Yakima). It was fantastic - enough people to not be weird, but no stores open yet, so soft lighting and few sounds. I would see the same people, and then notice groups would gather for coffee when a kiosk opened at 8. A wonderful resource for seniors in cold, icy climates.

I mentioned to Matt in his mall series that the only time I tried to take pictures - showing a neighbor how to use her camera - a mall cop came within five minutes to tell us photography wasn't allowed!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:23 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:02 pm
Interesting Chuck...
Thanks for a look and a comment, Frank!
Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:40 am
Chuck, I like #3; took me a moment to realize it's a mirror image. Great lines, great interest. Ghosts enhance it. Matt
Thanks, Matt. I was reminded of the mo'ai, the Easter Island heads.
minniev wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:29 pm
Great set Chuck, and like Matt, you've found a way to make artistic images in a mall, no mean accomplishment. I like #3 and #4 best.

I #3 (and in the similar images on the Flickr page), you've created a sense of mystery and imbalance between the reflected mannequins and the ones we actually see, and that combination of traits is so very engaging. The reflected-mannequin set would be a good bunch to take into black and white conversion for an even more artistic rendering.

I am always a fan of candy-in-a-jar shots, and this one's a well done example of how to do it right.
Thanks, Minnie. This is about the limit of my "creativity." I did like the way the reflections worked on many of the shots. I've done many of them before, back in Madison in the mall there where we walked. You're right that I should try a conversion.
LindaShorey wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:47 pm
Great eye, Chuck! #3 is highly engaging to me. Shooting reflections can be like switching the brain to think in black & white. Our eyes are so used to editing out those reflections as we gaze at the window displays!

I used to do the mall walk around 7 a.m. in winter (the Union Gap mall, adjacent to Yakima). It was fantastic - enough people to not be weird, but no stores open yet, so soft lighting and few sounds. I would see the same people, and then notice groups would gather for coffee when a kiosk opened at 8. A wonderful resource for seniors in cold, icy climates.

I mentioned to Matt in his mall series that the only time I tried to take pictures - showing a neighbor how to use her camera - a mall cop came within five minutes to tell us photography wasn't allowed!
The mall here is a pretty good drive away, longer than the one we used to go to in Madison, but I must try to do it more often or everything will freeze up like the Tin Man. Like you I like a mall early when few are around. There is a certain creep factor in the windows which was what attracted me in the first place. I've always tried to be pretty cautious when I spot a mall cop on the principle they will at least want to know what I'm up to. We had that discussion about public places and street and such. I think the conclusion was that a mall is a public place but privately owned so they can make their own rules if they choose. In the past I have only used my small compacts, and the A6000 with the short kit lens is no bigger or more "pro" looking than my Nikon P7800, pretty unobtrusive.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by St3v3M » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:23 pm

Now you need to turn it into an ongoing series giving names to the mannequins and making up stories as they progress! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"