"The more we study, the more we discover our ignorance." —Percy Bysshe Shelley

― Artistic Expression ShowcaseBloody COLD

User avatar
RBorud
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:15 pm
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Bloody COLD

Post by RBorud » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:23 pm

HiAll Another of the super moon again the night the temp here was -15 below with a -28below windchill. Worked carefully but quickly. Who said the prairies are not pretty anytime. Please kid me I nearly did myself in.
Please enjoy. RBorud
Attachments
IMGP4509BBBcc.JPG

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1379
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:40 pm

I don't dislike the picture per se; It just doesn't grab and shake me like usual. It's nice, well executed, but I guess because so many of your works have come right up in my ear and gone BWAAAAAAAAAA that this one doesn't quite do it. :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Posts: 2170
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:54 pm

RBorud wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:23 pm
HiAll Another of the super moon again the night the temp here was -15 below with a -28below windchill. Worked carefully but quickly. Who said the prairies are not pretty anytime. Please kid me I nearly did myself in.
Please enjoy. RBorud
It's beautiful, and it calls up the cold you've captured in it. Yes, the prairies are beautiful in their own way.Just as the Mississippi delta is beautiful in its own (flat) way. I have only visited the prairies a couple of times but found the light rather amazing.

Still way too cold for me. When I got into my other house, finally, Saturday, the temperature inside was 5 degrees. I have never known such cold here.

Irrigation Animals are fun to shoot. I'd love to see you work one up in your creative/artistic mode with the textures and such. it was an Irrigation Animal that got me started on learning how to manipulate textures as part of a composition. Lots to learn for me yet though.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
RBorud
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:15 pm
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by RBorud » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:38 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:40 pm
I don't dislike the picture per se; It just doesn't grab and shake me like usual. It's nice, well executed, but I guess because so many of your works have come right up in my ear and gone BWAAAAAAAAAA that this one doesn't quite do it. :|
Charles Sorry it does not go BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, but then I can sometimes be quiet and contemplative. I felt good about getting the tail of the alpenglow mixed with moonlight and the stillness of the the very cold and the quiet danger of it. However thanks for looking. RBorud

User avatar
RBorud
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:15 pm
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by RBorud » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:42 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:54 pm
RBorud wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:23 pm
HiAll Another of the super moon again the night the temp here was -15 below with a -28below windchill. Worked carefully but quickly. Who said the prairies are not pretty anytime. Please kid me I nearly did myself in.
Please enjoy. RBorud
It's beautiful, and it calls up the cold you've captured in it. Yes, the prairies are beautiful in their own way.Just as the Mississippi delta is beautiful in its own (flat) way. I have only visited the prairies a couple of times but found the light rather amazing.

Still way too cold for me. When I got into my other house, finally, Saturday, the temperature inside was 5 degrees. I have never known such cold here.

Irrigation Animals are fun to shoot. I'd love to see you work one up in your creative/artistic mode with the textures and such. it was an Irrigation Animal that got me started on learning how to manipulate textures as part of a composition. Lots to learn for me yet though.
Thanks for looking and commenting. I felt very good about what I got in this image, as I described to CH above. thanks again for looking. RBorud

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1379
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:20 pm

RBorud wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:38 pm
Charles Haacker wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:40 pm
I don't dislike the picture per se; It just doesn't grab and shake me like usual. It's nice, well executed, but I guess because so many of your works have come right up in my ear and gone BWAAAAAAAAAA that this one doesn't quite do it. :|
Charles Sorry it does not go BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, but then I can sometimes be quiet and contemplative. I felt good about getting the tail of the alpenglow mixed with moonlight and the stillness of the the very cold and the quiet danger of it. However thanks for looking. RBorud
I am sorry, I sounded mean and I did not intend to. Quiet and contemplative is of course more than fine, especially out in the deadly cold. It is a beautiful, standalone picture, very well executed! (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:31 pm

RBorud wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:23 pm
HiAll Another of the super moon again the night the temp here was -15 below with a -28below windchill. Worked carefully but quickly. Who said the prairies are not pretty anytime. Please kid me I nearly did myself in.
Please enjoy. RBorud
It's an arresting image, but I can't stop seeing the Black Slider Warning in Lightroom when I look at the snow. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
RBorud
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:15 pm
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by RBorud » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:53 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:31 pm
RBorud wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:23 pm
HiAll Another of the super moon again the night the temp here was -15 below with a -28below windchill. Worked carefully but quickly. Who said the prairies are not pretty anytime. Please kid me I nearly did myself in.
Please enjoy. RBorud
It's an arresting image, but I can't stop seeing the Black Slider Warning in Lightroom when I look at the snow. S-
St I do not use lightroom, and I am not seeing anything as you describe. It was taken in virtual deep twilight, and I wanted to keep the effect. And I hope I did. I might suggest that because there was actual blackness in the scene you might ignore the warning and just enjoy the image I nearly froze to death getting it. Thanks for commenting RBorud

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:12 pm

RBorud wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:53 pm
St I do not use lightroom, and I am not seeing anything as you describe. It was taken in virtual deep twilight, and I wanted to keep the effect. And I hope I did. I might suggest that because there was actual blackness in the scene you might ignore the warning and just enjoy the image I nearly froze to death getting it. Thanks for commenting RBorud
I was thinking about this as I left you and should have left more of a message instead of being so quick.

I've seen snow in the early morning light that looks ghostly-blue so I know this scene quite well and apologize if you thought it a slight. To be honest, if I felt anything about this image it's the admiration I have for your courage to get up and get out there. I'm not a fan of being cold, but I like good images and the people who have the moral strength to make them. Well done! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
RBorud
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:15 pm
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by RBorud » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:54 am

St3v3M wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:12 pm
RBorud wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:53 pm
St I do not use lightroom, and I am not seeing anything as you describe. It was taken in virtual deep twilight, and I wanted to keep the effect. And I hope I did. I might suggest that because there was actual blackness in the scene you might ignore the warning and just enjoy the image I nearly froze to death getting it. Thanks for commenting RBorud
I was thinking about this as I left you and should have left more of a message instead of being so quick.

I've seen snow in the early morning light that looks ghostly-blue so I know this scene quite well and apologize if you thought it a slight. To be honest, if I felt anything about this image it's the admiration I have for your courage to get up and get out there. I'm not a fan of being cold, but I like good images and the people who have the moral strength to make them. Well done! S-
Thanks St, I do appreciate your thoughts. Things have gotten better here climactic wise. All the people here about, all got out to push it back over the north pole, we thought the Russians would like it back. RBorud

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests