"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

― Artistic Expression ShowcaseNot exactly a texture, not really a composite - just a lot of fun

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Not exactly a texture, not really a composite - just a lot of fun

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:40 am

#1 is the result of putting my in-camera motion blurred daisies (#3) on top of my real, but heavily edited heron & hawk on barn roof (#2). I had no idea ahead of time this would happen :D

I stretched the daisy shot left/right a large amount, changed colors to blue/purple, then added as a new layer on top of the barn via hard light blend mode, did some adjustments to saturation of certain colors + a bit more stretching and a little cloning.

I hope it gives you a smile!
Attachments
486567-1_duplex_textured.jpg
486736-1_1279_duplex.jpg
486914-1_img_2842_fm_jpg.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Carol W
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Post by Carol W » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:14 am

Pretty amazing that your daisies could have that affect on the scene! I love the added sky color, too. It makes me think sunrise on a foggy morning.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:08 pm

Carol W wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:14 am
Pretty amazing that your daisies could have that affect on the scene! I love the added sky color, too. It makes me think sunrise on a foggy morning.
Thank you for commenting, Carol! Layers and texture-type activities are like opening Christmas presents :D
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:31 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:40 am
#1 is the result of putting my in-camera motion blurred daisies (#3) on top of my real, but heavily edited heron & hawk on barn roof (#2). I had no idea ahead of time this would happen :D

I stretched the daisy shot left/right a large amount, changed colors to blue/purple, then added as a new layer on top of the barn via hard light blend mode, did some adjustments to saturation of certain colors + a bit more stretching and a little cloning.

That's pretty awesome. I'd never have thought of such. What experimenting will do for you!!

My only complaint is I don't like losing the huddled-up hawk to the daisy-fog.

The original photo is wonderful just as it is, too.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:35 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:31 pm
That's pretty awesome. I'd never have thought of such. What experimenting will do for you!!

My only complaint is I don't like losing the huddled-up hawk to the daisy-fog.

The original photo is wonderful just as it is, too.
Thanks Minnie! All your fault for ever introducing me to textures :D The original shot was one of those "slam on the brakes" moments as it was the first time I'd seen a heron on a roof (have seen them a whole lotta other places, though), not to mention sharing it with a hawk.

Your comment re the missing hawk made me revisit. Originally I didn't like the way it was behind the white and I couldnt' figure out a solution, but this morning it came to me: just move the "texture" file 'til better situated! I did more cloning with this newest - want the right amount of wispy in front of barn, but a couple more tweaks needed to smooth out methinks:
Attachments
heron.jpg

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:41 pm

(Here he goes again with the) I LOVE 'EM ALL shtick but it's what I got and I'm shticking to it (see what I did there?). I seriously love the composite-y thingy, and I am fine without the hawk inasmuch as I perceive the scene to be essentially about peace and the hawk could represent a threat, disturbing the serenity. The heron looks like an explorer gazing far out to sea (I can see billowing rollers in the cloud now from the overlay). The barn acquires a ship-like aspect. Moving the overlay to reveal the hawk (to me) breaks the mood. If this were music it would be to relax by. :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:31 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:41 pm
(Here he goes again with the) I LOVE 'EM ALL shtick but it's what I got and I'm shticking to it (see what I did there?). I seriously love the composite-y thingy, and I am fine without the hawk inasmuch as I perceive the scene to be essentially about peace and the hawk could represent a threat, disturbing the serenity. The heron looks like an explorer gazing far out to sea (I can see billowing rollers in the cloud now from the overlay). The barn acquires a ship-like aspect. Moving the overlay to reveal the hawk (to me) breaks the mood. If this were music it would be to relax by. :thumbup:
Holy moly, do I love your explorer gazing from ship idea, Chuck. Hawk be GONE :D Thanks so much!!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:35 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:40 am
Wow, just Wow! I think you've found your thing!

I love this and how you came upon it, but wonder what made you think to put the two together?

So beautiful! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:22 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:35 am
Wow, just Wow! I think you've found your thing!

I love this and how you came upon it, but wonder what made you think to put the two together?

So beautiful! S-
Thanks so much, Steve! I'm delighted you enjoyed. I think it was because the original daisy photo was already blurred and the after-edited birds on roof was a fairly clean silhouette. I was looking for those kinds of pairings just to see what would happen.

I don't believe I actually envisioned clouds, but once I tried a few blend modes, the look kind of emerged on its own and I exploited :)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:35 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:22 pm
Thanks so much, Steve! I'm delighted you enjoyed. I think it was because the original daisy photo was already blurred and the after-edited birds on roof was a fairly clean silhouette. I was looking for those kinds of pairings just to see what would happen.

I don't believe I actually envisioned clouds, but once I tried a few blend modes, the look kind of emerged on its own and I exploited :)
When you see the image it makes sense, but looking at the two separate they are so different from one another it's amazing.

I've always been curious about people motivations, why someone invented this, or combined this photo with that one, and of course more importantly how people see. What I love the most about your story is your experimentation, it's the signature of an artist! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"