― Artistic Expression ShowcaseSuperMoon Mixed With New Prairie Sentinel

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: SuperMoon Mixed With New Prairie Sentinel

Post by minniev » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:28 pm

There are so many ways to approach this kind of image work. I LOVE Duck's version, which is extreme and fanciful and amazing.

But it isn't quite in Rborud's style to my eye, so I'm interested in learning where he goes next with this particular image. Maybe somewhere in the middle? Further into the paintpots and brushes? Deeper into the texture pile? More sketching and less photography? I hope he's gonna keep us in the loop on this journey.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

RBorud
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Post by RBorud » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:56 pm

Duck wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:15 pm
Tell the PPP to, "stick it!" :-D

What is the intended point of focus? If it's the moon, I like the top, more detailed moon as it has a lot of texture going on with the craters. If it's the 'sentinels' then I like the second, more subdued version.

Either way, they both need some "blending in with the environment." They lack that interaction within the frame. Atmospheric interaction. I don't get the sense I am seeing the moon through layers of sunset sky. (Speaking of which... the light on the moon in the second image seems incongruent with the position of the sun in the landscape.)

Without playing around with it I can suggest softening up the edges (specially in the top image) as they are too crisp looking. That might add to the illusion of atmosphere. Aside from that, maybe play with some blend modes and/or opacities.

Other than that, I like the composition.
Thank you Duck for your thoughts, they are well taken. RBorud

RBorud
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Post by RBorud » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:59 pm

minniev wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:17 pm
RBorud wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:00 pm
Good Morning All
I have a motive this morning to pick all the excellent brains at this site. Here are two new iterations of Super moon with a new Prairie Sentinel. My questions are, what do you think and which do you prefer. Thanks so much. I am having an argument with the PPP (puritan picture police) in my facebook account.

I know I can be a bit strange. RBorud
For me, the second seems to work better - the first seeems too graphic for the rest of the image. I love fantasy images but it would seem that there would need to be other elements of that type (kind of grunge textures or elements) to keep the grungy moon from being lonely.
Thanks minniev for you suggestions and thoughts. Perhaps I need more abstraction? RBorud

RBorud
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Post by RBorud » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:01 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:28 pm
RBorud wrote:
Good Morning All
I have a motive this morning to pick all the excellent brains at this site. Here are two new iterations of Super moon with a new Prairie Sentinel. My questions are, what do you think and which do you prefer. Thanks so much. I am having an argument with the PPP (puritan picture police) in my facebook account.

Disclaimer first: I am not one of the excellent brains at this site. My family will confirm that.

Second, I find the moon is too large in the sky in both and looks unnatural; just my reaction.

Third, I prefer the second; more moody and mysterious. But I have no idea on how to handle the moon.

Matt
Thanks Matt for your comments, RBorud

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:15 pm

RBorud wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:59 pm
minniev wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:17 pm
RBorud wrote:
Good Morning All

For me, the second seems to work better - the first seeems too graphic for the rest of the image. I love fantasy images but it would seem that there would need to be other elements of that type (kind of grunge textures or elements) to keep the grungy moon from being lonely.
Thanks minniev for you suggestions and thoughts. Perhaps I need more abstraction? RBorud
I like the abstracted style of the original series, so perhaps I'm yearning for more of same. Experimenting with a Duck-sized moon might or might not be part of such. Regardless, I'll enjoy following your adventure on this one.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

RBorud
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Post by RBorud » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:32 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:47 am
I love the concept, but before I even read your introduction I thought the first looks fake, like a sticker you placed on the print. If you decide to keep it I might tone down the shadows to make it more realistic to the eye as you might see if from where you shot it. The second seems more natural but seems to have grown into otherworldly proportions.

It's not about the lens, it's about will people believe you? I hope this helps! S-
S Merci Beaucoup RBorud

RBorud
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Post by RBorud » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:34 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:12 am
RBorud wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:03 am
Linda A curious thing, The sun was just setting and the moon was very bright, and the alpenglow was about to disappear. I under exposed a bit to get the dark feeling of the elevator, then cut out the moon which was smaller and enlarged it to what I would have thought to be the size if I walked down the road and using a considerably longer lens which would have made I believe the moon about this size. I rather chose to do it in post as it was so bloody cold. The lower one is the moon as shot and enlarged, the upper is a worked different moon. I am getting odd comments from very diverse views. Most liking , or loving it and some questioning my competence, sanity or the like. I feel good about the bottom one. Perhaps I should of made it more abstracted for doubters. Thoughts? by the way is there some secret entrance the other commenters on this page with the changes, I can't seem to contact them. Thanks RBorud
Just to the left of each poster's avatar, you should see an icon of "quote marks" - you can click that to reply, or just address the people by name. If you do use the "quote reply" you will see that if they quoted you first (NOT needed in those cases, but many folks are in the bad habit of doing it, lol), you will get both. Just scroll below the brackets that contain the /quote in order to keep the formatting.

Back to your pic: I tried cutting a rectangle of the moon and sky from your original and placing it as a new layer on top of your cropped one here. Then I dragged the new layer to make moon larger, and used overlay blend mode (needed to mask a bit from lower left). It looks very natural, but needs a larger file size of the moon to keep it from looking too blurry.
Linda Thank you for your efforts will try it. RBorud

RBorud
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Post by RBorud » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:37 pm

Duck wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:01 am
In illustration, one of the things I have taught my students is this; When it comes to exaggeration of elements in a drawing, don't exaggerate a little bit. Exaggerate by a lot. I teach the same thing with students using Dutch angles. Don't tilt the camera just a little bit. Tilt it a lot.

The reason for this is due to viewer perceptions. A little bit is seen as an error, a mistake on the part of the creator. When the effect is exaggerated a lot, it is seen as purposeful, intentional. Remember that in photography you have to tell the viewer everything about the image. When there is ambiguity is when you'll get the wrong kinds of questions.

I would rather have people asking, "why is he showing me this?" rather than, "what is he showing me?" Here is my interpretation of this "Sentinel as fantasy".

RBorud_Sentinel_Moon.jpg
Duck in a word you are BRILLIANT!!! RBorud