RBorud
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Another Prairie Sentinel

Post by RBorud » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:06 pm

Hi All
I hope all had a fine holiday, and santa was good? Well here is a little thing from me for all that are interested, another Prairie Sentinel image from the book. Please enjoy and Thanks for looking RBorud
Attachments
271BCDEF.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:24 pm

A prairie sentinel in pink! Who'd've thought it would look good that way! I do love this series, with the lines and shapes of the buildings and those washes of color.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:51 am

Prairie In Pink. It's a rainbow feast for the eyes and I love it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:48 am

Very Nice!
Today is the Day, a New Day.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:31 pm

This is a challenging one because of the color. It's hard for me to accept pink as appropriate for the subject, especially after your more blue-toned and/or somber submissions of similar subjects. To challenge us and make us think about the artist's choices is always a good thing, though!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:43 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:31 pm
This is a challenging one because of the color. It's hard for me to accept pink as appropriate for the subject, especially after your more blue-toned and/or somber submissions of similar subjects. To challenge us and make us think about the artist's choices is always a good thing, though!
Minus the color, does the processing work? And without meaning any offense, do you like pink? Not everyone does.

I'm always curious if our own personal biases get in the way sometimes, as an example I think I mentioned The Pig at The Broad. It was a ghastly shade of pink against a pink and green background and I immediately hated it, but then I learned more about it and saw the subtleties in it. Maybe it's the ancient story of Beauty And The Beast? S-

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:29 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:31 pm
Interesting point of discussion. especially since I'm not a big fan of pinks or purples (I am so glad the forum is no longer lavender!). I had that mental disconnect when I first looked at this particular "sentinel", but it grew on me - partly because the whole series is a contradiction anyway, between what's commonly accepted as beauty and what's not. Going into pastels and even into pinks sort of pushes that whole contradiction forward.

I wondered the same as Linda, whether I might have accepted it more quickly and acknowledged its beauty more readily if it had been rendered in muted browns and greys. Probably. But then I'd have missed the orange splash of light in the middle, and the slightly uncomfortable itchy feeling I get with dissonant images that makes me look and think more.

I again thank Mr Borud for sharing his amazing creations with us and for Steve and Linda for leading us in talking more deeply about them.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:35 pm

minniev wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:29 pm
Interesting point of discussion. especially since I'm not a big fan of pinks or purples (I am so glad the forum is no longer lavender!). I had that mental disconnect when I first looked at this particular "sentinel", but it grew on me - partly because the whole series is a contradiction anyway, between what's commonly accepted as beauty and what's not. Going into pastels and even into pinks sort of pushes that whole contradiction forward.

I wondered the same as Linda, whether I might have accepted it more quickly and acknowledged its beauty more readily if it had been rendered in muted browns and greys. Probably. But then I'd have missed the orange splash of light in the middle, and the slightly uncomfortable itchy feeling I get with dissonant images that makes me look and think more.

I again thank Mr Borud for sharing his amazing creations with us and for Steve and Linda for leading us in talking more deeply about them.
I'm trying to develop a topic of its own so we don't step on this one, but wow it's a touchy subject.

I wonder though if the point of art is to make us think? There are images we look at and pass over, there are images we stop and say WOW, and there are images that we shake our heads at but come back to again and again. Those are the images that fascinate me.

I might have an opening for the topic now, so give me a few and I'll add it here for further discussion! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:55 pm

>> Feel free to continue posting here where it applies but to keep from hijacking this post I've made another. S- <<

- Are You Biased?