"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Alva Edison

― Artistic Expression ShowcaseMoons - almost out of my system

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Moons - almost out of my system

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:41 pm

I'm posting these in showcase just so you don't have to think about 'em too much :D

1. Frost on field and barn roof, and a lot of fog. Added the moon. When I did a more life-size moon for a pic I just added to my critique section composite series, I realized it fit the discussion of moral responsibility that Duck raised in the "Ethics of Landscape Photography" topic hosted by MinnieV. That one looked real, where IMO this one doesn't (though I suppose could be achieved with very long telephoto lens and barn at great distance). Comments on those ideas are welcomed!

2. Real moon and trees in one shot, on-purpose out of focus outdoor Christmas lights added. Not sure where I'm going with this, so if anyone has a suggestion I see no sun in my forecast and will have plenty of time to play.

Many thanks!
Attachments
1 P1040790 bw moon.jpg
1 P1040790 bw moon.jpg (390.07 KiB) Viewed 387 times
1 PC040001 lights.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:36 pm

#1 really catches my eye Linda

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:13 am

Linda, #1 is real cool !!! So to speak. I hear Death Star music, you should know. And with Princess Leia showing up Friday, this is timely. Barn looks like what Luke Skywalker has been holed up in lo these many sequels. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by Duck » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:47 am

Sorry for defiling your image, Linda, but this begged to be done.
May the farce be with you. :lol:

Linda's-Moon-or-is-it.jpg
Linda's-Moon-or-is-it.jpg (119.32 KiB) Viewed 372 times
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:59 pm

Frank - thanks so much! I'm liking it more this morning than I thought I might :)

Matt - I have strong memories of that first movie back in 1977, what impact it had! I haven't watched any since the first three; tried on one, gave up after 5 minutes. Thanks for commenting.

Duck - I almost missed your conversion of the moon to Death Star. So much fun!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:40 pm

O lordy Duck that's funny! Meanwhile, yes Linda, the first one is obviously "fake" but so what? It's wonderful. It's the sort of thing one sees on the covers of sci-fi paperbacks. It's beautiful. The word "atmospheric" comes to mind. I've firmly established that I ain't got no ethics if it's not photojournalism (and even there I have some mixed feelings, like the poor shlub who got fired for removing a distraction that added nothing to the story). (Y)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:17 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:O lordy Duck that's funny! Meanwhile, yes Linda, the first one is obviously "fake" but so what? It's wonderful. It's the sort of thing one sees on the covers of sci-fi paperbacks. It's beautiful. The word "atmospheric" comes to mind. I've firmly established that I ain't got no ethics if it's not photojournalism (and even there I have some mixed feelings, like the poor shlub who got fired for removing a distraction that added nothing to the story). (Y)

Thanks Chuck! I do want to learn how to better get across "fantasy" when/if that is what I'm posting. I still prefer being out in nature and shooting the real stuff, then enhancing to my whims. But play time, and learning a bit more about compositing is not the worst way to spend a long dark stretch of INVERSION weather :(

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:48 am

I know it's not real, but I like the first, I think it's the 'age' of the image with the fog and the frost. I keep expecting to see a horse grazing.

I like the second, but find the noise in the upper part distracting and wonder if a different ratio like 2x3 or 3x4 might help. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:19 pm

St3v3M wrote:I know it's not real, but I like the first, I think it's the 'age' of the image with the fog and the frost. I keep expecting to see a horse grazing.

I like the second, but find the noise in the upper part distracting and wonder if a different ratio like 2x3 or 3x4 might help. S-

Thanks Steve! Still working through what to do with #2 - in fact, the whole image might make an interesting texture layer (especially if pushed more out of focus) :)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:00 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Thanks Steve! Still working through what to do with #2 - in fact, the whole image might make an interesting texture layer (especially if pushed more out of focus) :)

Out of necessity we find our way, through experimentation we find our true selves! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"