“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcaseBronze Newsboy

Show off your artistic or experimental side of photography.
- Abstract, collages, still life, digital or analog manipulations... Whatever doesn't fit in another category.
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Bronze Newsboy

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:55 am

I some threads about "seeing in sixes." I had to look it up. This is not that, but I notice that lately I tend to "see in three" owing to not being able to post more than three pictures in the initial post. I'm not complaining! It engenders discipline to try to find the three hopefully best. These were made in Golden, Colorado a week or so ago. We were there for a family gathering and the family had kindly invited me, the shirttail relative only by marriage. But it was a photo op. These were made on a walk around Golden.

In the heyday of newspapers, long before television or even radio, up until almost mid-century young boys and (more rarely) girls, some as young as 7 or 8, earned money by buying pre-bundled stacks of newspapers from the publishers, then peddling them on the streets for an extra penny or two in profit. The boys were as fiercely competitive as the papers they sold. The cry was heard all over the city when a big story broke: READ ALL ABOUT IT! EXTRA! EXTRA! HEY GET'CHA PAPER HERE!

These pictures were pretty challenging owing to the bright sun, harsh shadows, back light, dark, nearly black bronze, partial shade and you name it. But I like a challenge! All shot with my more and more beloved Sony RX-10, all 100% raw, all processed in Lightroom, and where was all that stuff all my working life? ;)
Attachments
DSC08130.EMlr.jpg
This lad is 12 or 13 or so and quite well dressed in clothing familiar to the nineteen-teens and twenties. High button shoes, knickerbockers, turtleneck sweater and classic "newsboy" cap.
DSC08132.EMlr.jpg
This is my favorite of the triptych.
DSC08134.EMlr.jpg
Detail. Notice what is on the newspaper he is selling...
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Psjunkie
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Bronze Newsboy

Postby Psjunkie » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:33 pm

Days gone by Chuck....

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby Matt Quinn » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:47 pm

Chuck, Amazing tones and textures on the second. My favorite. And I remember knickers. Do you? Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby minniev » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:17 pm

Interesting! You did well balancing the harsh light, lightroom is quite a good tool for balancing. I have some trip pictures I'm working on a similar problem with and I'm getting a more natural look using LR for that part before going into PS for other editing. Of course the same would be true for ACR but LR is more intuitive for me.

We have some of those little bronze statues in our local park, and I've had some fun photographing the grandsons with them (they're similar in size, so the boys relate to them).
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:37 pm

Psjunkie wrote:Days gone by Chuck....
Thanks, Frank. The one thing that bothers ol' pessimistic me is knowing that so many of those kids weren't doing it for a little extra cash, but rather out of necessity to help feed a large, poor family. I have a Flickr friend, Mads Madsen, who digitally colors all the old pictures he can find. He found this one. The caption says it all:
ImageFrancis Lance, 5 years old, 41 inches high. Sells regularly on Grand Avenue. St. Louis, Missouri, May 1910 by Mads Madsen, on Flickr

Matt Quinn wrote:Chuck, Amazing tones and textures on the second. My favorite. And I remember knickers. Do you? Matt
Thanks, Matt. I do remember knickers, but only in the sense that I knew they were the height of boys' fashion for many years. A boy considered himself a man when he was allowed his first pair of long pants, but it was before my time (I'm 75, a mere chickadee). :lol:
minniev wrote:Interesting! You did well balancing the harsh light, lightroom is quite a good tool for balancing. I have some trip pictures I'm working on a similar problem with and I'm getting a more natural look using LR for that part before going into PS for other editing. Of course the same would be true for ACR but LR is more intuitive for me.

We have some of those little bronze statues in our local park, and I've had some fun photographing the grandsons with them (they're similar in size, so the boys relate to them).
Thanks, Min. So far as I know, Lightroom is ACR, but packaged somewhat differently and indeed much more intuitive. When I first got into raw I was using the ACR that was bundled with my copy of PS Elements 11, but when I jumped in the deep end with Adobe CC I have not used ACR (as such) since. From the start I have been utterly mad for Lightroom. I've seen so many comments on so many sites just howling mad at Adobe, basically saying Adobe is the Great Satan of photography and they are thieves and pirates and there are better apps that are free or available standalone and so on yada yada gripegripegripe. And for all I know it's all true, but I am perfectly content to pay $11/month with tax to work with what I consider the Gold Standard. :D (Now if I can just learn how to actually use it all...)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby St3v3M » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:48 am

Charles Haacker wrote:...
In the heyday of newspapers, long before television or even radio, up until almost mid-century young boys and (more rarely) girls, some as young as 7 or 8, earned money by buying pre-bundled stacks of newspapers from the publishers, then peddling them on the streets for an extra penny or two in profit. The boys were as fiercely competitive as the papers they sold. The cry was heard all over the city when a big story broke: READ ALL ABOUT IT! EXTRA! EXTRA! HEY GET'CHA PAPER HERE!

The backstory is great and I was going to say I really liked the second until I saw the third. I love it and the story it tells! Thank you for adding this! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:43 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Charles Haacker wrote:...

The backstory is great and I was going to say I really liked the second until I saw the third. I love it and the story it tells! Thank you for adding this! S-

You're welcome! :thanks:

Return to “Artistic Expressions”