― Artistic Expression ShowcaseTextured pond scene

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Textured pond scene

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:08 pm

davechinn wrote:Linda, a well composed image that would look fabulous on any wall and deserves to be on one, IMO !!! Not sure if I would have done anything any different, so I would leave it as is. The old, scratched metal print look has been achieved and I really like the impact of it.
Dave

Thank you, Dave! I'm so glad you enjoyed the pp and subject. Probably the most textures and tricks I've applied to any so far :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:40 am

LindaShorey wrote:I'm going for an old, scratched metal print look (I think, lol). Would the image be stronger without the top 1/3? The egret is from a specialty brush. Just stamp and go. Great fun :) Detailed feedback regarding distractions, mood, pp - all welcome!

This is a beautiful image and it's amazing how many options you have!

- Leave it as-is and be proud of your work
- Remove the egret and little puddle it stands in and call it a day
- emphasize the egret bringing it more to the foreground
- crop the top-thrid removing the shoreline
- crop the bottom-third removing the egret
- or simply remove the little puddle and see if you like it

This is wonderful and I'll be curious what you end up with! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:47 am

St3v3M wrote:This is a beautiful image and it's amazing how many options you have!

- Leave it as-is and be proud of your work
- Remove the egret and little puddle it stands in and call it a day
- emphasize the egret bringing it more to the foreground
- crop the top-thrid removing the shoreline
- crop the bottom-third removing the egret
- or simply remove the little puddle and see if you like it

This is wonderful and I'll be curious what you end up with! S-

Thanks so much, Steve. You've inadvertently addressed what I've been struggling with for the past year or so: decision making! Many times when I have no clear idea of where I'm going, I don't end up with a firm conclusion. Not surprising, eh ?

But I do have many where I'm quite satisfied with my first vision and version (even after receiving feedback with suggested tweaks), so I'm just accepting the other times as part of my "new normal" (aging) :D
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:13 pm

Hi, Linda,
To my eye the texture distracts significantly from the heron as a significant contributor to the image's composition.

In this case the "texture" of too realistic grassy stuff appears too much as an inconsistent, non-sensical reflection on the water's surface...my mind keeps trying to make sense of it...but can't.

This may just be a result of my general antipathy to textures, but knowing that you are firm proponent thereof, I keep looking with an open mind....trying to figure out why....

I'm really curious if there is any objective reason that "texturing" is a common resort to supposedly improving a given image? Or is it all subjective feelings that, by definition, require no justification...which, of course, I can understand, even if I cannot personally partake therein.

Please understand that the above is not meant as negative criticism, just an attempt to understand the apparently growing interest in and attraction to "texturing".

As a long-time photographer and darkroom processor of B&W images, I am well inured to the varied effects of grain, but never experienced any urge to increase it...in other words I early got past considering it a necessary evil, but none-the-less never saw merit in enhancing it.

I am mightily trying to understand this present and growing practice of over-laying images with this-or-that recognizable "filter" or "texture" of something that is not rationally or even recognizably related to the image at hand.

So I'll keep looking and asking.

Dave

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:23 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Thanks so much, Steve. You've inadvertently addressed what I've been struggling with for the past year or so: decision making! Many times when I have no clear idea of where I'm going, I don't end up with a firm conclusion. Not surprising, eh ?

But I do have many where I'm quite satisfied with my first vision and version (even after receiving feedback with suggested tweaks), so I'm just accepting the other times as part of my "new normal" (aging) :D

I've read a messy desk is the sign of creativity and wonder if it's the same for our brains. Laf!

When I come across an image like this I try to explore it as much as I can making every iteration I can think of then play a game of This Or That. The game is easy to play. Put all the images in a folder, open the first, look at it, then open the second, and decide which one you'll keep and which one you'll delete. Continue to the end and you'll end up with the most impressive one. As full disclosure, I sometimes end up with a few I want to keep, but always one I love.

Then again, it's always fun to find out what other people think and how they'll interpret your image. So much fun! S-

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:29 pm

uuglypher wrote:Hi, Linda,
To my eye the texture distracts significantly from the heron as a significant contributor to the image's composition...Dave

Dave, thanks so much for your thoughtful comments and observations. The bird was an added element as I experimented with the photo in pp. By contrast, #1 below, while shot as a quick burst as the bird took flight, was fully visualized and pursued in pp to this end (a much less intrusive texture has been added - in two doses). I knew I would be doing "something" to the second image below because I was shooting into super-harsh, low angle sun. I envisioned silhouette all along, and when I opened in my editor, I explored what I could do with color and texture. I'm particularly fond of both of these, even though #2 is basically a one-click texture addition.

I think of texture application as simply one way of expressing my art expression - humble as it may be :) and really no different from using infra-red or black & white (particularly b&w when the result has been dodged and burned significantly in order to direct the viewer), HDR or soft focus...on and on.

Sure, there are times I find more interest in the edited result than I do in the original (an attempt to "improve"), but often I like the result as much as, or more than, the original, such as the yellow-headed blackbird here, because the edits help convey a mood or feeling that documentary would not.

One that you enjoyed from another forum is #3 below. It has the same gentle texture as the yellow-headed blackbird (in pink rather than blue), and some other effects, including as you noted in your original comments, high key. And also a bit of Topaz "painting."

Like you, I enjoy subtle results that don't scream "texture" (or any other specific pp for that matter), but I like the in-your-face too. Remembering the first year I started with Topaz Simplify: I look back on some and cringe, but many others I still like a lot. All part of the journey and joy, yes?

Thanks again for your viewpoint and time!
Attachments
645653-1_p5100029_1.jpg
645653-1_p5100029_1.jpg (651.34 KiB) Viewed 413 times
320319-img_2331_small_w_texture.jpg
750967-0_p1030523_1_paint_texture.jpg
750967-0_p1030523_1_paint_texture.jpg (619.07 KiB) Viewed 413 times

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:06 pm

LindaShorey wrote:...
I think of texture application as simply one way of expressing my art expression ...

Feedback is important but ultimately we must find our own path! S-