"Photograph things you care about, not what you think others want to see. There is no substitution for passion." —Sarah Rice

― Artistic Expression ShowcaseInversion - Ft Gaines - Just For Fun

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Inversion - Ft Gaines - Just For Fun

Post by minniev » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:32 pm

A friend and mentor that some of us still miss, Jim Hill, once led a discussion about inversion as a creative tool. I haven't done much with that since, but one of my Ft Gaines pictures for some reason made me think of it.

The picture itself was less than what I wanted, partly because I couldn't get at an angle I wanted in the closed up little tunnel. I probably could've done a little better if I'd brought an ultra wide lens on the trip. So here's the original and a fun play. All comments welcome, edits are welcome too.
Attachments
neg (50 of 1)-3.jpg
original file
neg (50 of 1)-2.jpg
electric inversion
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

ErichBrunner
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by ErichBrunner » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:44 pm

minniev wrote:A friend and mentor that some of us still miss, Jim Hill, once led a discussion about inversion as a creative tool. I haven't done much with that since, but one of my Ft Gaines pictures for some reason made me think of it.

The picture itself was less than what I wanted, partly because I couldn't get at an angle I wanted in the closed up little tunnel. I probably could've done a little better if I'd brought an ultra wide lens on the trip. So here's the original and a fun play. All comments welcome, edits are welcome too.

I really like this technique and have used it many times (especially for trees in winter after they lose their leaves). By using the technique here, you have transformed the crack in the wall into a bolt of electricity that seems to have also electrified the floor. The original had some interest; but the inverted image has much more impact. I like it a lot.
erich

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:02 pm

Erich's suggestion of bolt of electricity is perfect. The discernible window and perhaps recognizable door (I'm not sure if I'd know if I hadn't seen the original, but probably) are a great contrast of real vs. fantasy. Love it! (oh and that the bolt originates at the recognizable overhead light is super-cool all itself)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:36 pm

minniev wrote:A friend and mentor that some of us still miss, Jim Hill, once led a discussion about inversion as a creative tool. I haven't done much with that since, but one of my Ft Gaines pictures for some reason made me think of it.

I miss Jim and pray he's doing well!

I also wanted to look up inversion and inversion as a creative tool and came across this How Thinking in Reverse Can Make You More Creative.

I'm curious, in this context is inversion the reverse of the image, it's negative, or is there more involved in the process? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:49 pm

ErichBrunner wrote:

I really like this technique and have used it many times (especially for trees in winter after they lose their leaves). By using the technique here, you have transformed the crack in the wall into a bolt of electricity that seems to have also electrified the floor. The original had some interest; but the inverted image has much more impact. I like it a lot.
erich

Thanks Erich, my intent was to make the scene "electric". I wondered about adding something to the scene, and may yet - a dark small figure crouching in the shadows - just to see if I could...

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:51 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Erich's suggestion of bolt of electricity is perfect. The discernible window and perhaps recognizable door (I'm not sure if I'd know if I hadn't seen the original, but probably) are a great contrast of real vs. fantasy. Love it! (oh and that the bolt originates at the recognizable overhead light is super-cool all itself)

It was intended to look "electric" , then I removed some of the texture so there wouldn't be all that detail to compete with the lightning bolt and its' effect. This stuff can be so much fun!

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:55 pm

St3v3M wrote:

I miss Jim and pray he's doing well!

I also wanted to look up inversion and inversion as a creative tool and came across this How Thinking in Reverse Can Make You More Creative.

I'm curious, in this context is inversion the reverse of the image, it's negative, or is there more involved in the process? S-

I converted it to monochrome with some fairly high contrast maneuvering of sliders, then took it to Photoshop to invert the image. Then I flipped it and added a layer to reduce the details in the brickwork. It was about 20 minutes worth of play all together.

Thanks for an interesting read on the larger implications of inversion and its creative use. Sometimes we miss the secrets that are hiding in our work, waiting to be discovered and used creatively. There are SO many ways to make and edit and display a photograph, and while I can appreciate a well done SOOC image, I enjoy just as much a creatively interpreted image that started with a SOOC photograph and then journeyed down some other road.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:37 pm

minniev wrote:... Sometimes we miss the secrets that are hiding in our work, waiting to be discovered and used creatively. ....

So true, so very true! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"