"Photograph things you care about, not what you think others want to see. There is no substitution for passion." —Sarah Rice

― Artistic Expression ShowcaseFace Painting Gone Wild

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Face Painting Gone Wild

Post by minniev » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:34 pm

I met this little girl and her family at a community event last night, and did this wild piece up for an assignment in my 52 group (I'd like to try a 52 group here for 2018 if we can roust up enough participants, it's fun). So, since the image was way outside what I usually do, I thought to share it here too.
face (50 of 1)-2.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:34 pm

I bet those kids had a blast! 52? I assume an image a week.. but there must be more (count me in).

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:47 pm

Love the colors and fun. Tell us more about "52," I'm interested :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:48 pm

Linda and PIet:

Thanks - right here on pM there is a section named 52 which is for an image a week. The 52 group I belong to is a FB group connected to a vendor, L'il Owls. It's free (I'm sure they hope we'll buy textures from them), but the group works similar to any 52 project except it has a different theme each week, and we're encouraged to shoot for the theme rather than dig in archives, and to be creative outside our own comfort zone. The theme for this week was Detail. Comments and "likes" are OK but not required.

I'd like to see us try something similar, either on the website or the FB site for pM, where those who'd like to participate could submit a new image that fits the theme each week. It's been fun for me, and good discipline to make me chase something different that I probably wouldn't have done otherwise. This image, for instance, is so Not-Me, but I had a lot of fun cooking it up and learned a few things.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:24 pm

minniev wrote:Linda and PIet:

Thanks - right here on pM there is a section named 52 which is for an image a week. The 52 group I belong to is a FB group connected to a vendor, L'il Owls. It's free (I'm sure they hope we'll buy textures from them), but the group works similar to any 52 project except it has a different theme each week, and we're encouraged to shoot for the theme rather than dig in archives, and to be creative outside our own comfort zone. The theme for this week was Detail. Comments and "likes" are OK but not required.

I'd like to see us try something similar, either on the website or the FB site for pM, where those who'd like to participate could submit a new image that fits the theme each week. It's been fun for me, and good discipline to make me chase something different that I probably wouldn't have done otherwise. This image, for instance, is so Not-Me, but I had a lot of fun cooking it up and learned a few things.

Thanks! I very much like the idea of a theme, different each week. Not on Facebook, though, hate that place - ha!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:15 pm

LindaShorey wrote:

Thanks! I very much like the idea of a theme, different each week. Not on Facebook, though, hate that place - ha!

Could just as well be done on our own board here, with the section that is already named "52"! The main thing is having it set up with themes and instructions, and persuading enough people to do it to make it fun. In my group there is no pressure, if you miss a week you can catch up or just pick up where the group is. It's just about fun and learning by doing.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:02 pm

minniev wrote:
LindaShorey wrote:

Could just as well be done on our own board here, with the section that is already named "52"! The main thing is having it set up with themes and instructions, and persuading enough people to do it to make it fun. In my group there is no pressure, if you miss a week you can catch up or just pick up where the group is. It's just about fun and learning by doing.

I like the idea of being able to skip as required. It encourages participation, but also keeps the stress manageable.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:39 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
minniev wrote:
LindaShorey wrote:

I like the idea of being able to skip as required. It encourages participation, but also keeps the stress manageable.

Agree, I'd like to keep it casual and fun. I don't reckon we have to wait till Jan 2018 to start, either. We'll see.. I know Steve has some thoughts about activities he wants to do here.

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:07 pm

minniev wrote:I met this little girl and her family at a community event last night, and did this wild piece up for an assignment in my 52 group (I'd like to try a 52 group here for 2018 if we can roust up enough participants, it's fun). So, since the image was way outside what I usually do, I thought to share it here too.face (50 of 1)-2.jpg

This may be out of your norm, but it's in a good way, because IMO, this is an interesting image in more ways than one. I would be interested in the 52 group. I've never participated in one, so I find it may be a way to learn something new.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:27 pm

Cain't call it 52 if we can skip.........sooooo.."Maybe 52" would be more appropriate, Bahahaha..nice blending job minniev.