― Artistic Expression ShowcaseAvalanche Lily

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Avalanche Lily

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:04 am

A Cascade Mountain wildflower, common around Mt Rainier National Park in June, where I photographed these this morning. They are thermogenic, meaning they produce their own heat to help melt snow. I find them to be somewhat magical, hence my playful pp :)

Feedback and suggestions welcomed. Thank you!
Attachments
0 P1030538.jpg
0 P1030523-1 paint, texture.jpg
0 P1030526-1.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:47 pm

Really like what you did with that 2nd image Linda.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by Duck » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:55 pm

I have to agree with Ernst. That second image is great. I looks like a watercolor painting.

Here is my take, and it's rather subjective; In viewing that second image I would prefer to see the fronts of the flowers. Instead I am presented with their backs. At this low angle it is as if I am in a crowd and all I can see are the backs of the people in front of me. There is a certain amount of disassociation that is happening here, as if I am an outsider and there is something going on just out of frame I am not allowed to participate in. This is not to say the composition is wrong. As a matter of fact, it creates an emotional tension between the viewer and the image and that is fantastic. Unfortunately not everyone will 'get it'. Anyone looking at this image superficially will just see a lazy photographer that didn't want to shift a few inches for a 'better composition' and I don't think that was the case here. It looks too intentional.

Now, the reason I would prefer to see the fronts is because of my own particular artistic desire to present a subject at its best. I have a propensity to 'beautify' nature in art rather than present a more truthful view of it and that's just my own idiosyncrasy. I have a preference for "pretty pictures" but that is not to say I do not appreciate images with a "flaw" or "ugly" images. Not that these terms define your image. Not in the least. I just wanted to explain my opening comment.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:23 pm

LindaShorey wrote:A Cascade Mountain wildflower, common around Mt Rainier National Park in June, where I photographed these this morning. They are thermogenic, meaning they produce their own heat to help melt snow. I find them to be somewhat magical, hence my playful pp :)

I like them all but agree with the others that the second one is special. I like the side angle that emphasizes the translucency of the petals and the interesting shape. Processing suits the image as an artistic representation rather than a botanical one.

It is interesting to see different preferences and approaches. Of course we all choose our own favorites as photographers. I am prone to photograph from non standard angles, too, so I relate to your choice, right or wrong, and I'm drawn more to the flawed flowers than the prettiest ones. Going back to the monthly masters' challenge, part of the appeal to me is that the girl is running away from us. To some viewers, that might be a detriment to the image. I would never pretend that I know what's "right" though I try to learn more about art as I go along this path.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:34 pm

Thank you all for your interest and comments! I have to share the story of the angle of view:

#1 caught my eye because the flowers are framed against a background of snow. As the snow was dirty and packed rather than freshly fallen, I decided while editing that I didn't like the realism as much as the fanciful.

Regarding the flowers' backs, I noticed while stopping at several places for these photos, that the vast majority of the flowers had their backs to the road! It's hard to see in #1, but I don't think a single flower is facing me :)

In the national park we're not supposed to tramp through the fragile ecosystem, so there is less opportunity for working the scene, as it were.

Also, this time and remembering from last summer, many are tilted downward. This could be because I go early in the morning when they are heavy with dew or mist. Perhaps they perk up more later and show their smiling faces in anticipation of the hoards of tourists :D

I greatly appreciate your time and feedback and viewpoints and conversation!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:38 am

LindaShorey wrote:A Cascade Mountain wildflower, common around Mt Rainier National Park in June, where I photographed these this morning. They are thermogenic, meaning they produce their own heat to help melt snow. I find them to be somewhat magical, hence my playful pp :)

You crack me up!

I was looking at the first thinking, wait a minute I know she can do better than that then WHAM you hit us with the second. WOW OH WOW!

I love the second for everything that it is and is not, and to counter Duck I love it more that it's not something I'd expect like from the front but rather from the rear as an angle hardly seen. It reminds me of the argument in wildlife that you never show their butts, but I disagree and think everything has its place if you know how to tell the story and tell the story you have. This is Sale Ready! I might ask that you remove the tiny green spot on the middle-left edge, but it's Sale Ready!

Texture, lighting, composition, tension and beauty, it's all there. You never know what you'll see here and I love it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:42 am

[quote="LindaShorey"...
Perhaps they perk up more later and show their smiling faces in anticipation of the hoards of tourists ...[/quote]
I'll think of this the next time I pass by! laf

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:34 am

St3v3M wrote:You crack me up!

I was looking at the first thinking, wait a minute I know she can do better than that then WHAM you hit us with the second. WOW OH WOW!

I love the second for everything that it is and is not, and to counter Duck I love it more that it's not something I'd expect like from the front but rather from the rear as an angle hardly seen. It reminds me of the argument in wildlife that you never show their butts, but I disagree and think everything has its place if you know how to tell the story and tell the story you have. This is Sale Ready! I might ask that you remove the tiny green spot on the middle-left edge, but it's Sale Ready!

Texture, lighting, composition, tension and beauty, it's all there. You never know what you'll see here and I love it! S-

I'm delighted with your feedback, Steve. Thank you so much!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:31 pm

LindaShorey wrote:I'm delighted with your feedback, Steve. Thank you so much!

Thank you for showing us another perspective! S-