“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” —Nelson Mandela

― Artistic Expression ShowcaseComposite: The Road Not Taken

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Composite: The Road Not Taken

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue May 09, 2017 10:35 pm

I am naturally of a melancholy bent. My late bride used to get after me all the time for too often looking back with sometimes profound regret. Thus one of Robert Frost's most famous poems has always resonated with me, The Road Not Taken, especially the last stanza:

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Reams and reams and even entire books have been written on the meaning and interpretation of that poem. Frost himself seemed to think I got it wrong (i.e., it isn't meant to be sad), but if I got it wrong an awful lot of other people got it wrong. I think it's pretty simply about the choices we are forced to make on the road of life that result in ---life! Some of the time we wonder if things had been better if we'd taken the other fork. BUT WHAT DOES ANY OF THAT HAVE TO DO WITH PHOTOGRAPHY, you ask. :|

Well, so sometimes I takes a pitcher that reminds me of that darned sad poem. This one is from the archives, 2008 again, made with a Nikon P5000.
DSCN1417.EM.jpg
The original shot "in a yellow wood." I always liked it, but I knew it needed something, specifically a walker or walkers disappearing around the bend, but there weren't any. (I would also prefer not to be able to see that the path is paved but I struck out trying to clone fallen leaves over it.)
DSCN1420.EM.jpg
A little later there was a couple ahead of us, so I made the shot but I never cared much for it because (a) there was a third person further down and (b) the woods were not "lovely, dark, and deep," another of Frost's lines from a different poem.
DSCN1417-Edit.EM-2.jpg
I had been thinking for some time that I might take a crack at combining the two--the figures from the second shot into the yellow wood of the first. I am not very skilled at this, and this one was surprisingly tricky, but I hope that if you didn't know (and didn't pixel-peep) you wouldn't be likely to give it a second thought. I hope.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Didereaux » Tue May 09, 2017 10:39 pm

It worked!
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue May 09, 2017 10:42 pm

Didereaux wrote:It worked!

Thanks! :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Wed May 10, 2017 7:16 pm

It's understated, yet effective. I like it very much, Chuck!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed May 10, 2017 8:11 pm

LindaShorey wrote:It's understated, yet effective. I like it very much, Chuck!

Thank you, Linda. I think I may not have adjusted the figures quite enough to look like they are rounding that bend. Originally (of course) they are walking straight, but I tried to adapt them to moving left by skewing and foreshortening them but I keep thinking I didn't skew enough as they still look as if they are going to walk straight off into the weeds. At least I managed to give them a faint shadow so they look "grounded." I had to pull the shrubbery out around the woman so she looks right, but the man needs ---something. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by St3v3M » Sat May 13, 2017 7:56 am

Charles Haacker wrote:...
Well, so sometimes I takes a pitcher that reminds me of that darned sad poem. This one is from the archives, 2008 again, made with a Nikon P5000.

As someone who is drawn to shooting paths, I like this one and find it inviting as if tempting you to take the path less traveled.

This is fun and I hope you post more of these! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat May 13, 2017 11:56 am

St3v3M wrote:
Charles Haacker wrote:...

As someone who is drawn to shooting paths, I like this one and find it inviting as if tempting you to take the path less traveled.

This is fun and I hope you post more of these! S-

Thanks, Steve, and I will surely try! :)

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Post by uuglypher » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:02 pm

Chuck,
If you had posted any of these three individually I'd have been absolutely delighted.
But given the title (from one of my favorites of Frost's works) I can naught but imagine the path viewed by my eyes alone and devoid of other travelers., so #1 is the one I'd hang.

Really nice job!

Dave