“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” —Nelson Mandela

― Artistic Expression ShowcaseMoody Memento Mori still life

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Moody Memento Mori still life

Post by Duck » Tue May 09, 2017 2:18 am

I am putting together a still life workshop for my Meetup photo group in the near future. This is a walk through so I can get things together ahead of time and to have a promotional image for the meetup. Enjoy.

Unitas_Photography-Still_Life.jpg.jpg
Unitas_Photography-Still_Life.jpg.jpg (156.32 KiB) Viewed 636 times
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Tue May 09, 2017 2:24 pm

I greatly admire your creativity!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Tue May 09, 2017 3:16 pm

Very nice set-up . Never would have thought to mix a skull with a peacock feather! Might you tell us a little about how is that lighting done? I'm assuming with studio type equipment, which I know nothing about, so that's probably why I can't wrap my mind around it. Great mood and atmosphere.

Thank you for opening a section for those creative works that don't fit anywhere else. I'll be using it. I haven't much with still life, but I am trying to learn a bit about compositing, especially using textures. I'm a hopeless experimenter, it's the way I learn.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue May 09, 2017 4:08 pm

minniev wrote:Very nice set-up . Never would have thought to mix a skull with a peacock feather! Might you tell us a little about how is that lighting done? I'm assuming with studio type equipment, which I know nothing about, so that's probably why I can't wrap my mind around it. Great mood and atmosphere.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/141152849 -> Twitch keeps videos for 14 days so this video link is available until 5/22/17

I streamed the entire shoot on Twitch.tv so you can actually see the process. It's 2 hours long and rather boring... the actual still life shoot starts at about 15 minutes into the video. I didn't have any plans so it's all a flow of consciousness stream. I also didn't have an audience on the live stream until later so for most of the prep I'm not really doing much explaining. I need to change that, I suppose. You'll see me try a couple lighting configurations as I experiment trying to get a look I like. I am brand new to live steaming so I'm trying to get used to a lot of things happening at once. The nice thing about catching the recording is you can skip and fast forward certain areas. Let me know what you think.

For those not looking to sit through a boring video...
Moody still life setup.jpg
Lighting diagram
Moody still life setup.jpg (136.21 KiB) Viewed 647 times

minniev wrote:I haven't much with still life, but I am trying to learn a bit about compositing, especially using textures. I'm a hopeless experimenter, it's the way I learn.

I can't remember who said this but there is a great quote about failure; "We can not judge success without failure." Of course there is Thomas Edison's quote; "I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways it did not work."
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri May 12, 2017 10:47 pm

I absolutely love the setup and am inspired to do something like it, maybe not as macabre, but something like it with impact.

And thank you for the behind the scenes. It's helpful to see what someone else does. Thank you! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:08 am

Delightfully ominous, and assembled with the skilled, precise casual touch of William Harnett assembling one of his still life's.
Black box, black rose, dark red wine...the requisite skull, and touch of the peacock retrix...a reminder of long past, but not forgotten frivolity and long regretted refusal to succumb to a memorable temptation.......may I admit to a subtle shudder?

Admirable!

Dave

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:18 am

uuglypher wrote:Delightfully ominous, and assembled with the skilled, precise casual touch of William Harnett assembling one of his still life's.

William Harnett
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

ErichBrunner
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by ErichBrunner » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:18 am

Duck wrote:I am putting together a still life workshop for my Meetup photo group in the near future. This is a walk through so I can get things together ahead of time and to have a promotional image for the meetup. Enjoy.

Unitas_Photography-Still_Life.jpg.jpg

It's wonderful and your diagram helps a lot to understand how it came together. I'm very impressed with the light beam effect. I must try that. Hope I can come close to approaching the subtlety of yours. Beautiful.
erich