Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

― Artistic Expression ShowcaseGirl in a Boat

Non standard photographic editing; collages, manipulations, assemblages, applied textures, double exposures
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Girl in a Boat

Post by minniev »

I spent too much time on this one and it didn't come out anywhere near how I wanted. Any help appreciated. If nothing else, I got practice though.
Attachments
small.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck »

Been there, done that.

What, in particular, do you not like? Alternatively, what do you like and what were you hoping to achieve.
Let's start there and maybe we can all guide you in the right direction. :)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Business Website : Unitas Photography
Join me Monday nights at 6:30pm EST via Zoom to Learn Photography with Duck or,
Watch past episodes on YouTube
Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

Duck's got it covered...

uuglypher
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher »

I have to wonder: “why the balloons?” The boat, already afloat, has no need of further buoyancy and to the sharp-billed heron those balloons must be a continual temptation... but to what effect? But...once again... am I over-thinking the whole gemisch?

A bit of guidance through this morass of symbolism? If you please?

Dave

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

uuglypher wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:10 pm
I have to wonder: “why the balloons?” The boat, already afloat, has no need of further buoyancy and to the sharp-billed heron those balloons must be a continual temptation... but to what effect? But...once again... am I over-thinking the whole gemisch?

A bit of guidance through this morass of symbolism? If you please?

Dave
The boat and the glass balloons are one thing - a Chihuly art piece. It's the girl and the bird who are crafted in. So the balloons can't be got out of the boat. I smushed her into them.

No deep symbolism, just a fantasy piece.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Duck wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:41 am
Been there, done that.

What, in particular, do you not like? Alternatively, what do you like and what were you hoping to achieve.
Let's start there and maybe we can all guide you in the right direction. :)
The girl seems too realistic. I've Topazed her in Impression and then painted her with a mixer brush that should have turned her to mush, but it didn't.

The bottom is too messy. I am gonna take out that paper effect on the bottom edge but I put it there to try to cure something else I didn't like about it. The shadows don't look right. They are in the right direction (the shadows of the water lily stems are real and native to the background, so I tried to model the shadows after them, but I've failed somehow. I've fiddled them a bit with the liquify tool but the water was very still so I was reluctant to ripple them too much. Maybe more distortion?

I like the way I managed to get the girl's hair out of her grassy background without losing all of the fuzzy stuff. I like the way the airborne birds turned out. I like the background scene. I just want the boat and girl better integrated.

I'm not wedded to any of the overlays or textures, I think it'll need some of those in the end but not fixated on these particular ones.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck »

Hey Minnie, for one, I really like the surreal aspect of this image. The girl playing in amongst the glass balloons has a certain innocence to it. The heron watching over her shoulder really adds to the overall fantasy and, if I can add, these birds have become a sort of trope I have come to associate with your work. A Minnie-ism of sorts.

I have made some notes for you to consider when you revisit this project, and I hope you do because there is something here worth pursuing.

In this first image, I have marked it up to show how the eye is pulled away from the main theme by all the outlying elements that compete for the viewer's attention. By eliminating or reducing their visual strength it helps strengthen the main subject. You already made mention that the heavy paper texture was a distraction and I definitely agree with you as it really didn't add anything to the overall look of the image. Your use of texture should add mood, not a design element in this particular image.

MinnieV-001.jpg
MinnieV-001.jpg (25.52 KiB) Viewed 1398 times

Aside from the paper texture I also felt that the birds above the main subject were a bit too much and really doesn't add anything to the narrative like the heron at the end of the boat does. I do like the idea there being other birds in this world so I thought bringing the distant flock out of the corner and more into the central part of the image would add to the narrative without becoming too strong of a design element. It fits as the heron has decided to stay with the girl rather than fly off with its family.

MinnieV-002.jpg
MinnieV-002.jpg (27.87 KiB) Viewed 1398 times

I cropped the image to place the boat more central to the composition. I did this for two reasons; first to fill more of the frame with the main subject (personal choice here as it could also work with more space around) and second, it removes a lot of the texture created by the abundance of lily pads that seemed a little overwhelming. Again, personal choice here.

In the rework, I lightened the elements along the outer perimeter in order to keep the eye from traveling off frame while also darkening some of the boat. I also did some dodging and burning in and around the girl and the glass balls. As for the 'detail' you mentioned, i used a smudge tool to soften the hair and facial elements giving it more of a painterly feel to match the rest of the image.

Here is my final mock up you can use a s a guide in your rework. I hope this helps some. :cheers:

MinnieV-003.jpg
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Business Website : Unitas Photography
Join me Monday nights at 6:30pm EST via Zoom to Learn Photography with Duck or,
Watch past episodes on YouTube
Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Duck wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:15 am
Hey Minnie, for one, I really like the surreal aspect of this image. The girl playing in amongst the glass balloons has a certain innocence to it. The heron watching over her shoulder really adds to the overall fantasy and, if I can add, these birds have become a sort of trope I have come to associate with your work. A Minnie-ism of sorts.

I have made some notes for you to consider when you revisit this project, and I hope you do because there is something here worth pursuing.

In this first image, I have marked it up to show how the eye is pulled away from the main theme by all the outlying elements that compete for the viewer's attention. By eliminating or reducing their visual strength it helps strengthen the main subject. You already made mention that the heavy paper texture was a distraction and I definitely agree with you as it really didn't add anything to the overall look of the image. Your use of texture should add mood, not a design element in this particular image.

MinnieV-001.jpg

Aside from the paper texture I also felt that the birds above the main subject were a bit too much and really doesn't add anything to the narrative like the heron at the end of the boat does. I do like the idea there being other birds in this world so I thought bringing the distant flock out of the corner and more into the central part of the image would add to the narrative without becoming too strong of a design element. It fits as the heron has decided to stay with the girl rather than fly off with its family.

MinnieV-002.jpg

I cropped the image to place the boat more central to the composition. I did this for two reasons; first to fill more of the frame with the main subject (personal choice here as it could also work with more space around) and second, it removes a lot of the texture created by the abundance of lily pads that seemed a little overwhelming. Again, personal choice here.

In the rework, I lightened the elements along the outer perimeter in order to keep the eye from traveling off frame while also darkening some of the boat. I also did some dodging and burning in and around the girl and the glass balls. As for the 'detail' you mentioned, i used a smudge tool to soften the hair and facial elements giving it more of a painterly feel to match the rest of the image.

Here is my final mock up you can use a s a guide in your rework. I hope this helps some. :cheers:

MinnieV-003.jpg
Thank you Duck, I really like the effect the lightening had around the perimeter, and the crop. They help resolve a number of my aggravations. Your other edits also enhance the fantasy impression I was trying to develop. Yeah, the paper texture has gotta go, I like that stuff for some things but it doesn’t work on this one. I’ll try the smudge tool - I did a bit with it already but maybe didn’t go far enough. I will repost this one when I do some more with it. Appreciate!

rmalarz
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by rmalarz »

Minnie, it's an interesting fantasy image. Though I like the rework that Duck did, I also appreciate the original for its fantastical imagery.
--Bob
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.
Lifetime member Royal Photographic Society

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

rmalarz wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:01 am
Minnie, it's an interesting fantasy image. Though I like the rework that Duck did, I also appreciate the original for its fantastical imagery.
--Bob
Appreciate, Bob! Deinitely a fantasy piece. I'll be working on this one some more. Some of Duck's ideas will be incorporated, though I always run off in my own direction! I liked my upper birds, so I'll find a way to keep them.Duck's removal of detail around the periphery is a brilliant idea and does help with some of the problems I was having so I'll incorporate that to some degree. Who knows what else...