Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: A study in dueling

Post by RBorud » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:02 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:36 am
This looks like serious stuff not the electronic kind with lights going on with a touch of the foil tip. Do they really make contact? Any blood drawn?

I second the praise and applause of the others. Matt
Matt First of all this is all a composite with long periods of time between them, and the sword were blunt at the end and round in the middle so the only possibile injury would be a smack. A bit of explanation could be in order. The image was done in four layers. The tent was from a very long term collection of gradients from many sources and also my own making, of which this one is. The lines is a layer I have made from a fractal program that does Flame fractals, a kind I love to work with. I constructed this fractal from that flame fractal program. The figures are from a shoot with some medieval reenactors I was working with. We had just finished a set that I thought would be new, I layed on the ground looking up, and they stood on either side of me and dueled, with the hope I would not be reduced to enbrochette with mother earth. When they moved away slightly I was squatting and was shooting bursts, so the figures are from different bursts. All this was put together after reviewing my different source files. I had a vague idea of what I wanted and had to laboriously think it all through, to as you see it. Great fun it was. Thanks for looking RBorud

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:05 pm

RBorud wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:52 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:13 pm
just WOW! Love how you replaced the background with the tent(?) and the color gradient that does such a beautiful job of outlining the man on the left with the color contrast, and the man on the right with value contrast and all the lines leading to his head. You created a stunning environment for them and I am just amazed by its effectiveness and by your creativity.

edit - and no critique implied, just listing the things that struck me about the image as an attempt to understand what makes you tick and to learn from it!
Piet, I thank you for your deep look at my work, and lavish comments. A bit of explanation could be in order. The image was done in four layers. The tent was from a very long term collection of gradients, from many sources and also my own making, of which this one is. The lines is a layer I have made from a fractal program that does Flame fractals, a kind I love to work with. I constructed this fractal from that flame fractal program. The figures are from a shoot with some medieval reenactors I was working with. We had just finished a set that I thought would be new, I layed on the ground looking up, and they stood on either side of me and dueled, with the hope I would not be reduced to enbrochette with mother earth. When they moved away slightly I was squatting and was shooting bursts, so the figures are from different bursts. All this was put together after reviewing my different source files. I had a vague idea of what I wanted and had to laboriously think it all through, to as you see it. Great fun it was. Thanks for looking RBorud
wow! even more impressive knowing you manufactured the tent/background entirely with fractal lines and gradients - I was fully convinced it was a backdrop you had captured somewhere. Those lines are fantastic in their composition.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:51 pm

Pure dedication to your art. Admirable and inimitable, at least for me. But I can admire from a distance. Great work. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:53 pm

RBorud wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:02 pm
Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:36 am
This looks like serious stuff not the electronic kind with lights going on with a touch of the foil tip. Do they really make contact? Any blood drawn?

I second the praise and applause of the others. Matt
Matt First of all this is all a composite with long periods of time between them, and the sword were blunt at the end and round in the middle so the only possibile injury would be a smack. A bit of explanation could be in order. The image was done in four layers. The tent was from a very long term collection of gradients from many sources and also my own making, of which this one is. The lines is a layer I have made from a fractal program that does Flame fractals, a kind I love to work with. I constructed this fractal from that flame fractal program. The figures are from a shoot with some medieval reenactors I was working with. We had just finished a set that I thought would be new, I layed on the ground looking up, and they stood on either side of me and dueled, with the hope I would not be reduced to enbrochette with mother earth. When they moved away slightly I was squatting and was shooting bursts, so the figures are from different bursts. All this was put together after reviewing my different source files. I had a vague idea of what I wanted and had to laboriously think it all through, to as you see it. Great fun it was. Thanks for looking RBorud
Fascinating window into your fascinating work. Thanks so much for sharing this.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:55 pm

It is a wonderful construction! (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|