Member's ShowcaseWall Abstract

Show off your artistic or experimental side of photography.
- Abstract, collages, still life, digital or analog manipulations... Whatever doesn't fit in another category.
Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Wall Abstract

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:58 pm

When exploring/on the hunt for images I always enjoy finding abstracts.

Best to ya, Ernst
Attachments
IMG_7492 BWT 20X.jpg
IMG_7492 BWT 20X.jpg (209.08 KiB) Viewed 103 times
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Re: Wall Abstract

Postby Duck » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:42 pm

Full disclosure here...

This image makes me both happy and sad at the same time.

Happy because it is a creative, interesting look at something we would all overlook (or at the least not look twice). It takes the mundane and elevates it to a form of modern art, placing the mundane on the artistic pedestal that forces us to see the beauty in the subject, even if for a moment. Happy, too, because it inspires me to look harder at the world around me to seek out the beauty found there, and happy, also, because it just reaffirms that Ernst still continues to prove he is a master photographer by showing us what can be done with a camera, some vision and a little bit of work.

This image also makes me sad because it is a reminder of how far I have yet to go before I can attain that level of creativity and mastery of this medium.

When it comes to artistic representation I understand that not everyone will look at this and see it as art. Some may look at it and say, "who cares? It's a patch in a broken wall." They may even say to themselves, "I could have taken this photo," and there would be some merit to those statements. When Marcel Duchamp took a urinal, turned it on its side, signed it and called it art people didn't understand. Jackson Pollock's art was considered just paint splatters that anyone could do until one tries to replicate it and you realise it's not as easy. More importantly, it needs to be observed as a piece of a whole to be fully understood.

Ernst's photo here, by itself, may not seem too impressive or even making any form of statement, but when you place it in the body of abstract work he has created (or into the world of abstract art as a whole) it takes on a different meaning. What that meaning is is up to the individual viewer because that is the nature of art.

P.S. This image reminds me of HR Giger's "Passage" series.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ErichBrunner
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby ErichBrunner » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:40 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:When exploring/on the hunt for images I always enjoy finding abstracts.

Best to ya, Ernst

This image really does not appeal to me that much. That is the completely subjective assessment, and it is also quite superficial. What I like most about this photo is that it illustrates possibilities about subjects that I might not give a second thought to. I really did spend a lot of time looking at this image and the details began to emerge. Nothing presented here, it seems to me, is left to chance. Like Duck stated so eloquently, it is a reminder of how much I still have to learn about turning a craft into art. That is where I would like to get to; and it is still a long way down the road.
Erich

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:46 am

I hated college. For me it was more of a waste of time and money than actual learning. Not to say I didn't learn anything. There were a small handful of instructors that I really appreciated their lessons and I came away learning more than I thought I would. One such class was Art Appreciation (I was an art major). A rather dry sounding, mandatory class I was not looking forward to sitting in (it was lecture hall style).

In that class I learned how to observe art in a way I did not previously fully appreciate. Prior to that my appreciation of art was a shallow, gut reaction that fell into, "I like it," or, "I hate it," without an informed reason why. Does that make sense? I think many of us judge our environment like that, I know my grandkids do. :D But I digress.

I learned two important words in that lecture hall; Objective and subjective and that they each have a place in my understanding of art. Who knew? I learned that I did not have to like a piece of art to appreciate it for what it is. I also learned to analyse art for its structure, its meaning, its relevance and its place in history and not necessarily connect with it emotionally. The more art I became exposed to the more I began to see the connections, the influences and progression from style to style. This deeper understanding, coupled with my growing appreciation for the technical aspect of art creation, helped me to broaden my appreciation of what I would simply have dismissed with a cursory, "that's terrible!". By the course's end I could deconstruct a piece of art, analyse its core structure and formulate an educated answer as to why I liked or hated a particular piece. The funny thing was that some pieces I just did not emotionally connect with were superbly and meticulously rendered and that's when I fully understood the difference between objective and subjective.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:06 pm

Thanks for your time, comments and knowledge Duck. I myself have a hard time verbalizing things at times and wish I would have taken more Art History during my college years. I do very much enjoy learning the History of Photography and study it constantly. I need to study more other art!! Here is an image I found a number of years back at our County Fair. Abstracts are a hard find for me, they don't show up all the time, but I try hard to keep my eyes open to them.

Ernst

Oh, Found this image on a garbage bin. Weathered decal.
Attachments
46072_458006659051_3441411_n.jpg
46072_458006659051_3441411_n.jpg (62.16 KiB) Viewed 79 times

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:21 pm

Another favorite photographer from the past is Aaron Siskind. Was a teacher in Chicago. I had the pleasure a few years back with putting together a Photographers Collectors Show here at the Sunny Sequim Art Museum. I invited
Photo Collectors that I knew in my area to share what they have collected over the years. One friend had a portfolio of Aaron's work, large platinum BW's. I had the pleasure of matting & framing this image for the show. I'm still in awe of this image.
Attachments
923212_10151639144704052_494722491_n.jpg
923212_10151639144704052_494722491_n.jpg (89.17 KiB) Viewed 76 times
05_siskind.jpg
05_siskind.jpg (113.41 KiB) Viewed 76 times

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:23 pm

Here is another image, this one from Harry Clallahan, he also taught with Aaron in Chicago.
Attachments
1239395_10151877083334052_1587195636_n.jpg
1239395_10151877083334052_1587195636_n.jpg (9.92 KiB) Viewed 75 times

minniev
Mentoris Praefectus
Mentoris Praefectus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby minniev » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:51 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:When exploring/on the hunt for images I always enjoy finding abstracts.

Best to ya, Ernst

I'm enjoying this series, both your own images and the ones you've added to the discussion. The art history classes I had all those years ago in college are only of minimal help in analyzing images like these, but I do read and study because such things interest me and inform what I try to do with photography. I have some advantage in coming from a family with several traditional artists in every generation, and my lack of skill in that area probably pushed me into photography as a form of creative expression. I don't pretend to know HOW to analyze works like these abstracts in general and your first image in particular, but I have a response to them that I can best describe as a sense of satisfying balance. I also know that I tend to over-rely on geometry when responding to any image, so I would never claim to have a learned reaction to such offerings. I admire your eye for the elements that create that sense of satisfying balance and your skill that allows your capture and presentation of them.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:31 pm

Thanks Minnie, For your comments. I think it just takes time, study, learn and take more time. Ernst

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:34 am

Best to ya, Ernst

I know this is Member's Showcase but there are two things I don't like about this; the frame color and that I haven't tried this yet!

You make want to try something new, thank you for that! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Artistic Expressions”