Member's ShowcaseMy reference library on DeviantArt

Show off your artistic or experimental side of photography.
- Abstract, collages, still life, digital or analog manipulations... Whatever doesn't fit in another category.
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

My reference library on DeviantArt

Postby Duck » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:35 am

As an artist I don't often get a chance to showcase my artwork. I have had an account on DeviantArt.com for a long time with very little activity. Recently I bought some figure reference mannequins to play around with. I decided to start photographing them in 360 and uploading them as drawing reference on DeviantArt. So far the have been received quite warmly by other artists there. I did this one for myself just for kicks. Hope you enjoy it.
Tat2Duck-1707.jpg
Camera love!

Oh, my Deviant page is here.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Re: My reference library on DeviantArt

Postby St3v3M » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:54 am

Duck wrote:As an artist I don't often get a chance to showcase my artwork. I have had an account on DeviantArt.com for a long time with very little activity. Recently I bought some figure reference mannequins to play around with. I decided to start photographing them in 360 and uploading them as drawing reference on DeviantArt. So far the have been received quite warmly by other artists there. I did this one for myself just for kicks. Hope you enjoy it.

I absolutely love this and saw the story immediately! I love your page too!

If I may ask, did you display your little people on a lazy susan and spin it at set increments?

Thank you for sharing this! It's so much fun and now I want little people of my own! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:26 am

That's exactly what I did. It's a low budget DIY method of doing 360 images. You can't use any cheap turntable though as they tend to wobble too much. I got mine from Bed, Bath and Beyond and it's pretty heavy duty. It's recessed and has a dark gray rubber mat that I covered with a piece of white foam core. If the foam core gets beat up it's easy to replace. I marked the outer rim with tick marks evenly spaced for 16 divisions. If I want a finer rotation I can further divide it if needed. I place a small A clamp on the edge of my table and use that as my marker to line up with the rotation marks.

I'm not overly critical for these shots as they're just quickie snapshots for free drawing reference but for a more critical product shot I would make sure the product was centered properly. Once set up grabbing the 16 shots is easy. Turn, click, turn, click, etc.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:29 am

Duck wrote:That's exactly what I did. It's a low budget DIY method of doing 360 images. You can't use any cheap turntable though as they tend to wobble too much. I got mine from Bed, Bath and Beyond and it's pretty heavy duty. It's recessed and has a dark gray rubber mat that I covered with a piece of white foam core. If the foam core gets beat up it's easy to replace. I marked the outer rim with tick marks evenly spaced for 16 divisions. If I want a finer rotation I can further divide it if needed. I place a small A clamp on the edge of my table and use that as my marker to line up with the rotation marks.

I'm not overly critical for these shots as they're just quickie snapshots for free drawing reference but for a more critical product shot I would make sure the product was centered properly. Once set up grabbing the 16 shots is easy. Turn, click, turn, click, etc.

Love it for its simplicity and perfect use and I appreciate the detailed reply. Thank you so much for sharing these with us! S-

minniev
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby minniev » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:10 pm

Duck wrote:As an artist I don't often get a chance to showcase my artwork. I have had an account on DeviantArt.com for a long time with very little activity. Recently I bought some figure reference mannequins to play around with. I decided to start photographing them in 360 and uploading them as drawing reference on DeviantArt. So far the have been received quite warmly by other artists there. I did this one for myself just for kicks. Hope you enjoy it.
Tat2Duck-1707.jpg

Those are adorable. Lots of creative possibilities to build fun stories, particularly got a kick out of the gumshoe guy.

The creative mind never rests, does it?
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:58 pm

This is delightful! Enjoyed your others too. Thanks for inspiration in case summer turns out miserably hot or winter miserably cold :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:00 pm

Fun Stuff my friend.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:58 pm

The way this side project came about was rather spur of the moment. I Have a set of larger (think Barbie/GI Joe size) drawing mannequins that I use on occasion when I need a particular pose for an illustration. The problem with the large ones is that they are limited and their larger size also increases the weight, making them a bit more difficult to pose. I came across these smaller size mannequins in a blog article and thought I'd get them for myself. These are 1:12 scale kind of like the smaller figurines found in toy stores (think Star Wars, Avengers 6" figures). I was surprised how much more articulation these have compared to the larger cousins I have.

To use them I would pose them in the position I need for my illustration, grab a quick cellphone shot, print it out and use that as my guide. When this current set came in I opened them at the photo studio and, as you can imagine, one thing led to another and soon I was playing with them to see how articulate they were. That's when I got the idea to do a 360 version of the poses, but where to put them... Since my DeviantArt account was rather lacking I thought I'd utilize that venue and share it with the rest of the drawing community.

Eventually I would like to get a large enough library and place them into their own web site that allows searching by pose, etc. Who knows if that'll happen so in the meantime they'll reside at DeviantArt.

Thanks for checking them out.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:53 pm

Duck wrote:...
Eventually I would like to get a large enough library and place them into their own web site that allows searching by pose, etc. Who knows if that'll happen so in the meantime they'll reside at DeviantArt.

This would make a good reference for new studio photographers! S-

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:52 am

St3v3M wrote:This would make a good reference for new studio photographers! S-

How so? I don't see how. Can you explain?

Return to “Artistic Expressions”