"You Are The Difference!"

Weekly Photo ChallengeChallenge: Reverse Engineering King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

Forum rules
Please read challenge rules before participating. Challenges run one week starting Mondays. Entry submissions must be made by Friday. Peer voting will take place Fri-Sun. Votes will be tallied and winner declared the following Monday. Moderator will serve as tie breaker. Winner will be announced at start of following challenge and on our facebook page.
User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4358
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Challenge: Reverse Engineering King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

Post by St3v3M » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:11 am

- Forget The Challenge Rules On This One - This Is A Challenge Against Our Ability More Than Against TIme -

I've liked this image since I first saw it and have always wondered how it was made. Ultimately I'd like to make my own.

I have no more insight than you but imagine some of you might and thought it might be fun to figure out how it was done.

This is Charlie Hunnam who plays a young King Arthur in King Arthur: Legend of the Sword Official Comic-Con Trailer (2017)
- Director of Photography John Mathieson *Cinematographer John Mathieson Discusses 'Logan,' 'King Arthur,' and the Art of the Shot

I like this image as a starting point but there may be better here so think about the lighting and choose wisely.

I have not done this before but assume you download a base photo then work it until you find something close to the end photo.

Details, details, details, let's tell everyone the details of what you learn and of course let's see your work! S-
Attachments
king-arthur-1504803109.jpg
king-arthur-1504803109.jpg (66.68 KiB) Viewed 518 times
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4099
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:36 am

The processing is very appealing on the target image. Since I almost never do portraits, I'm doubtful I'll figure out much, but I will have to try!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4358
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:59 am

minniev wrote:The processing is very appealing on the target image. Since I almost never do portraits, I'm doubtful I'll figure out much, but I will have to try!

Looking at it again it may be as simple as reduced Saturation on everything except the eyes, even those some. S-

EDIT: I was curious so I took try at it. There's a lot missing but if anyone thinks it's even close I'll share what I did.
- (I don't know how to make it browner)
Attachments
Arthur-1-4.jpg
Arthur-1-4.jpg (235.89 KiB) Viewed 500 times
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1473
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:42 pm

I am expecting to be able to try this next week - just letting you know I like the idea of this exercise a lot. It is a study in observation and organization. For instance, perhaps adjusting facial features first (like straightening the smirk into a more serious look). Then adjusting lighting - bringing it higher and to the front - gleam on forehead, dark under brows and cheeks and work on tones. Perhaps doing a desaturation first as you advise is good to do before working on tones and reshaping. And about color, perhaps after desaturation, do something sepia and then turn the color or some of it Cold.

Regardless, an excellent chance to learn to See better, Plan better, and Execute better! Thank you for opening up my world to this.

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4358
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:51 pm

PietFrancke wrote:...
Regardless, an excellent chance to learn to See better, Plan better, and Execute better! Thank you for opening up my world to this.

I'm excited to see what you come up with when you have time! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2525
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Duck » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:37 am

In deconstructing this image you need to understand that there are four major elements working together here; the subject, the camera, the lighting and the post processing. If you're wanting to recreate this 'look' having an understanding of all four parts will help in determining where you can deviate and where you can't. For example with the camera work. Judging from the shallow depth of field and the rather 'normal' proportion of the face this was likely taken with a longer focal length (80mm?) and a shallow depth of field (f/2.8?). Would this work with a deeper depth of field? Very likely.

Lighting can be trickier since there is so much post processing done but my guess would be a beauty dish, high and centered. There is definitely a lot of dodging and burning going on since the brow and nose flares are bright in comparison to the ridge of the nose. This, of course, is for drama. Or it could be a three light setup with a key light high and center and two fill lights left and right set behind the subject, though it's not as pronounced in the sample provided.

For more examples do a Google search for the work of Nigel Parry.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4358
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:56 am

Duck wrote:In deconstructing this image you need to understand that there are four major elements working together here; the subject, the camera, the lighting and the post processing. ...

I feel like I've had the crash course in studio work and am finally able to say something intelligent so I'll give this a go.

The shine on his forehead, cheeks, nose and upper lip lead me to the think they might have used a light from above, a beauty light or a small softbox. The catchlights are a mystery but I can imagine shooting though a circular fluorescent bulb flattening the light on the face even more. The tone of the image is interesting, but having watched the movie I suspect they took this in full costume including the dirt on the face which may be hard to replicate. The color on his forehead, eyes, and lips lead me to think they processed this the brought the saturation down leaving just a hint of each.

I think I'll look for another image, something similar to the lighting and work with this again. Thank you so much for helping me see! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2525
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Duck » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:49 am

St3v3M wrote:I feel like I've had the crash course in studio work and am finally able to say something intelligent so I'll give this a go.

The shine on his forehead, cheeks, nose and upper lip lead me to the think they might have used a light from above, a beauty light or a small softbox. The catchlights are a mystery but I can imagine shooting though a circular fluorescent bulb flattening the light on the face even more. The tone of the image is interesting, but having watched the movie I suspect they took this in full costume including the dirt on the face which may be hard to replicate. The color on his forehead, eyes, and lips lead me to think they processed this the brought the saturation down leaving just a hint of each.

I think I'll look for another image, something similar to the lighting and work with this again. Thank you so much for helping me see! S-


The shine on the forehead, cheeks, nose and lip look pretty forced in comparison to other light hints which leads me to believe those areas were pushed in post. The overall light is pretty contrasty and that's why I was thinking beauty dish, but I could be wrong. The highlights in the eyes don't look like something made from a ring light so it leads me to think that was done in post also. As for the toning, I looked at the numbers and it looks like it's a B&W conversion with a slight yellow undertone.

I'm going to go though some of my images and see if i can find one that I can experiment with. I don't photograph a lot of people so I'll have to really look through what I have.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4358
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:28 pm

Duck wrote:The shine on the forehead, cheeks, nose and lip look pretty forced in comparison to other light hints which leads me to believe those areas were pushed in post. The overall light is pretty contrasty and that's why I was thinking beauty dish, but I could be wrong. The highlights in the eyes don't look like something made from a ring light so it leads me to think that was done in post also. As for the toning, I looked at the numbers and it looks like it's a B&W conversion with a slight yellow undertone.

I'm going to go though some of my images and see if i can find one that I can experiment with. I don't photograph a lot of people so I'll have to really look through what I have.

I hadn't thought about the light being overly processed but I see it now. Neat! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2525
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Duck » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:06 pm

Unitas_Photography-9621.jpg


I set up a beauty dish with a white reflector butterfly style and took a selfie to see if I could replicate the look. I think I may have dodged the highlights a bit too much. Also, the background on my attempt is dark instead of light, as in the sample image, but hopefully the lighting and processing is about the same.

Here's a BTS shot of the setup.
Unitas_Photography-9621_BTS.jpg
Unitas_Photography-9621_BTS.jpg (143.61 KiB) Viewed 471 times


Key light: 400ws w/ diffused beauty dish
BG light: 300ws w/ corse grid in 7" parabolic dish
Camera: 1/100 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 100, 100mm lens
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest