Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"He who knows most knows how little he knows." -Thomas Jefferson

General Discussionslate life crisis

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: late life crisis

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:02 pm

some recent progress has been made, but as with all major projects, the end is not in sight. This is a screenshot of the map as displayed within the program I am creating. You can see how I am attempting to raise and lower each individual hexagonal shape to it's proper elevation - allowing rivers to run downstream and roads to flow in a natural way. Browns are higher and greens are lower.

After the entire map has been "elevated", I plan to apply program logic that will make the mountains larger and the valleys deeper, but first I need to get their relative height approximately correct. Here you see about twenty percent of the map..
gb3.jpg
game view showing 3d hexagons
gb4.jpg
photoshop file for map texture, still needing bundles of work

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:38 pm

Intriguing Piet...I'll wait for the finished product and understand your color concept. For some reason the left side brown has a valley look to it by the "Y" in the roads between the lighter greens and I know it is suppose to look the opposite, optical illusion kinda of thing I guess........

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:02 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:38 pm
Intriguing Piet...I'll wait for the finished product and understand your color concept. For some reason the left side brown has a valley look to it by the "Y" in the roads between the lighter greens and I know it is suppose to look the opposite, optical illusion kinda of thing I guess........
thanks Frank, I see what you mean. Part of it might be the light color of the road... For sure, the hills and valleys need to increase substantially in height contrast (talls taller and lows much lower). After I see that, then will post again and perhaps change color scheme.. Appreciate your feedback!!

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:16 pm

Well I don't know how to fix it but the color scheme you've chosen seems good as that's the way a lot of topographical map are done......

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:02 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:16 pm
Well I don't know how to fix it but the color scheme you've chosen seems good as that's the way a lot of topographical map are done......
I multiplied my elevation values by 2.5 and I think this gives a better feeling of high and low. It shows a lot of mistakes, and might be better to work from here to smoothen things out by tuning individual hexes. (it looks better when you are panning and moving through it and looking around)
gb5.jpg
gb6.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:55 am

Yes, much improved...your on the right track I think..

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:49 am

Just a thought... Is there a way to change the hexes from a platform to a pillar? I think the "floating platform" effect causes the shadows to be too dark, losing some of the visual continuity of elevations across the plain. With pillars at least you have the edges to add to the visual cues about height differences between adjacent elevations. This might reduce that optical illusion Frank mentioned.

Another note, I'm not sure how your global lighting is set up as the map rotates on axis but if you position it to avoid that optical illusion and then fix it to the view rather than to the model that might help. Just talking out loud here.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:44 pm

Duck wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:49 am
Just a thought... Is there a way to change the hexes from a platform to a pillar? I think the "floating platform" effect causes the shadows to be too dark, losing some of the visual continuity of elevations across the plain. With pillars at least you have the edges to add to the visual cues about height differences between adjacent elevations. This might reduce that optical illusion Frank mentioned.

Another note, I'm not sure how your global lighting is set up as the map rotates on axis but if you position it to avoid that optical illusion and then fix it to the view rather than to the model that might help. Just talking out loud here.
thanks Frank and thanks Duck - Duck, I appreciate your ideas. They are pillars, but the sides are painted Black. I can easily change colors, but picking a color that is appropriate might be tough, so I picked black. I am toying with the idea of having different shapes for the hexes (some might be round, or sloped for example). And I am toying with the idea of having different colors for different hexes on the sides - but that would be a lot of work as I would have to specify which specific hexagon per place (as I currently do with a unique elevation). There are currently 9077 hexes on the map.

About the lighting... I don't know squat about lighting, but I need to change that. Currently there are some bad angles that produce more reflection for example even though I have changed the material characteristics to have roughness and low reflectivity. Anyway, I like your thinking!!!!