It saddens me to forward the news that our good friend and fellow photographer, Matt Quinn, has passed.
As some of you may know, he had been battling cancer for a while and was on his way to recovery.
Please take a moment to remember him in your prayers.
"Sometimes imagination is no more than randomness applied." —Piet Francke

General DiscussionsClassic background advice needed

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Classic background advice needed

Post by Duck » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:33 am

I'm posting this as an open discussion rather than private messaging for this information as I feel others may find it useful.

I have a good dozen or so cloth backdrops but none of them have that classic "Old Masters" feel to it. I was thinking about purchasing one for more formal portraits but did not want to make the full investment without understanding what I needed and making an informed decision. So I am asking an open question to anyone with some experience.

I am looking to get the kind that looks like it could be a background from a Rembrandt painting, the kind that has a natural vignette painted in and uses several tones of paints to create the effect of a painted background. I was leaning towards a dark, rich, warm brown but someone mentioned that a green background shows off skin tones better. I have no practical experience in this, hence my hesitation in just getting a brown one. I was also looking at sizes. Most of my backdrops are large; 10' x 20' and a few 8' x 12' and a couple 5' x 7'. I was thinking a 5' x 7' would be good but, again, don't want to second guess myself on this. My go to sizes I use tend to be my 10' x 20's but only because I tend to shoot against either a white or black backgrounds. Most of my others have been donated to me by a photographer friend who was cleaning house and had some colors I would never have chosen for myself. :D

Any suggestion on brand would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage