It saddens me to forward the news that our good friend and fellow photographer, Matt Quinn, has passed.
As some of you may know, he had been battling cancer for a while and was on his way to recovery.
Please take a moment to remember him in your prayers.
"Sometimes imagination is no more than randomness applied." —Piet Francke

General Discussions2018 has closed - Share your milestones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

2018 has closed - Share your milestones

Post by Duck » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:16 am

Another year has come and gone and, as always when a new year draws close, we tend to reflect on what came to pass and look on with hope at what the new year has to promise. Share some of your year's milestones, successes, regrets, acquisitions, challenges, etc. I know we have at least one member who has a lot to celebrate for and others who've accomplished some significant achievements. Post yours here.

For me it was a turning of a new chapter as I closed a very successful tattoo business to devote myself full time to photography. It's been a challenge as I learn new skills and try to rebuild my brand as I build my client base. Without the rush of a full time tattoo business my life has slowed down considerably even though this year still seems to have flown by. While I did not have the funds to really afford it, I treated myself to a brand new tilt-shift lens that I had wanted for the longest time. While I would love to get into a complete medium format setup, the high cost of that endeavor will have to wait until I'm "rich and famous". :LOL:

While I am not making the kind of money I was making before, I feel less stressed and much happier than I had in a long time. I look forward to expanding my business this coming year and hopefully spending a bit more time here amongst some very good company.

Your turn... ;)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:35 pm

You've done well to follow your dream Duck, and I commend you for not waiting till it was overly late in the show to switch the plot.

My only complaint is that we don't see as much of you since you took this giant step. We hope you'll find a bit more time for us as things become more settled for you.

My biggest milestone was the completion of two gallery exhibits. For 10 months of 2018, my work was publicly displayed and seen by thousands of people. Though I've had a little exposure previously from state contests and local publications, this was a huge milestone for me. I can't top it in 2019, but do hope to secure an exhibit before the year is done. Also, the nice article LULA published about me led to some unexpected connections and warmed my heart if not my pocketbook! It was the first non-local publicity I'd been involved with.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:58 pm

thank you guys for sharing - we chase work at our dreams!

Accomplishments - 2018
My eldest daughter is engaged.
Marsh House outside half painted, inside has new floors and paint except kitchen and bathrooms.
Discovered Udemy.

Goals - 2019
Lose twenty pounds before Autumn wedding.
Further progress in Marsh House.
Get garage wired for 220, painted, and get CNC equipment and other woodworking tools into room/shop upstairs of garage. (the loft there is a wonderful place to be, lots of light and large windows on the sides).
Retire some time in April.
Learn how to digitally paint/draw.
Make progress in WV house refit - major step will be dumpster in driveway and a month loading it up.
todo.jpg
Marsh House ToDo list
garage.jpg
Get CNC from WV basement into upstairs garage

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:52 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:58 pm

Accomplishments - 2018
Marsh House outside half painted, inside has new floors and paint except kitchen and bathrooms.
Discovered Udemy.

Goals - 2019
Get garage wired for 220, painted, and get CNC equipment and other woodworking tools into room/shop upstairs of garage. (the loft there is a wonderful place to be, lots of light and large windows on the sides).
Make progress in WV house refit - major step will be dumpster in driveway and a month loading it up.

todo.jpg

garage.jpg
Enjoyed your accomplishments/goals Piet. I relate to the problem of multiple houses, each with its own needs, and I relate to the need for a dumpster which I did not get because at that point the old bridge across the creek was deemed too unstable for the dumpster man to come for a visit. So for the first year we threw everything into the collapsed swimming pool. At the end I paid a road man with a dump truck to replace the old bridge with a culvert then haul all the stuff out of the pool to Somewhere Else (17 trips). Your plan is better. (What is CNC equipment?)

Congrats on eldest daughter. I still have one son to marry off, but it could happen this year, as there's a girl who's been hanging around for 4.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:29 am

minniev wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:52 pm
PietFrancke wrote:

Accomplishments - 2018
Discovered Udemy.

Goals - 2019

todo.jpg

garage.jpg
Enjoyed your accomplishments/goals Piet. I relate to the problem of multiple houses, each with its own needs, and I relate to the need for a dumpster which I did not get because at that point the old bridge across the creek was deemed too unstable for the dumpster man to come for a visit. So for the first year we threw everything into the collapsed swimming pool. At the end I paid a road man with a dump truck to replace the old bridge with a culvert then haul all the stuff out of the pool to Somewhere Else (17 trips). Your plan is better. (What is CNC equipment?)

Congrats on eldest daughter. I still have one son to marry off, but it could happen this year, as there's a girl who's been hanging around for 4.
Thanks Min - CNC - I forget what the abbreviation is, I used the machine to cut out the pieces that became that wooden eagle. It is a computer controlled drill bit on a heavy table (all weighing in at around 1000 pounds.) The drill bit will move left, right, up and down based on what you tell it to do on the computer. You can use little tiny drill bits for intricate detail, or very large drill bits for flattening a piece of wood.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:43 am

You people make me tired.......

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:05 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:29 am
minniev wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:52 pm
PietFrancke wrote:

Accomplishments - 2018
Discovered Udemy.

Goals - 2019

todo.jpg

garage.jpg

Thanks Min - CNC - I forget what the abbreviation is, I used the machine to cut out the pieces that became that wooden eagle. It is a computer controlled drill bit on a heavy table (all weighing in at around 1000 pounds.) The drill bit will move left, right, up and down based on what you tell it to do on the computer. You can use little tiny drill bits for intricate detail, or very large drill bits for flattening a piece of wood.
I figured it had to do with the woodworking but had no idea it was so big!

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:07 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:43 am
You people make me tired.......
I promise, your life with all that moving and all those kids to take care of, is twice as tiring as mine, Piets and Ducks all put together.