"Sometimes imagination is no more than randomness applied." —Piet Francke

General DiscussionsMy House Is An Art Gallery (Inspired by Ernst)

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

My House Is An Art Gallery (Inspired by Ernst)

Post by minniev » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:31 pm

I eagerly and jealously follow Ernst's thread about his black and white fine art gallery. My own house has walls over-run with a flotsam and jetsam of family photos, family art, various acquisitions and mementos, so I could see no way to sort it in a meaningful manner. But when I surprisingly acquired a second house, I had 4000 square feet of empty walls, and the challenge was reversed - what should I fill them with? My grandson, then 4 and now 6, suggested we make the whole house an art gallery. He hopes strangers "will come from everywhere" to see our art. Well, here's where I'll eventually post it all, a bit at a time. Some is photography (including my own), some is various kinds of traditional art. Hint: If you are willing to donate to the gallery, I'll joyfully accept prints or digital files that I will print myself, or if by any chance you'd like anything of mine, I'll swap you.

Starting with the living room, here's three wonderful prints from three forum friends. (Reflections played havoc on them in this room with its 10 ft windows, but they are all exquisitely lovely, even the one I printed myself.)
Attachments
art (1 of 1)-23.jpg
Prison Visit
art (1 of 1)-24.jpg
Arizona Clouds
art (1 of 1)-21.jpg
Tiffany Lamp
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:05 pm

I am guessing that now days the life of an elephant is longer in prison.. Your grandson's vision of your home is Awesome!!

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:13 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:05 pm
I am guessing that now days the life of an elephant is longer in prison.. Your grandson's vision of your home is Awesome!!
At some point in the thread I'll be posting some of his art. He is also a very eloquent spokesman for my art, can give a concise summation of awards, gallery shows, magazine spread, newspaper articles.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:50 am

minniev wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:13 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:05 pm
At some point in the thread I'll be posting some of his art. He is also a very eloquent spokesman for my art, can give a concise summation of awards, gallery shows, magazine spread, newspaper articles.

Tell him that he is a good boy, and that I will trade any of my art pieces (but not the acorns) with him for a piece of his picking that he will produce 10 years from now (I have finally figured out how to become rich from art!).

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:56 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:50 am

Tell him that he is a good boy, and that I will trade any of my art pieces (but not the acorns) with him for a piece of his picking that he will produce 10 years from now (I have finally figured out how to become rich from art!).
Thank you! I shall discuss it with Jack and let you know his request. He IS a good boy, though his teacher might differ with me since he spends his time in first grade daydreaming and drawing instead of focusing on reading and math, and is undeterred by missing recess since he can do the same uninterrupted.

Here are Jack's areas. He and his brothers share the blue fish bedroom. It is the only room we didn't repaint. The cousin who had the house before us had painted the whole interior black and purple except their son's room, which she's painted with cheerful fish that Jack wanted to keep, so we let him build their theme around it. He calls it a "dream room". He is adding his own fish on the newly installed fireplace cover/mouse-prevention unit. So the fish room has cousin's art, Jack's art, one of my dam birds, and a fish drawing by one of my former elementary students, who won a competition with it. Jack also has an office, filled with art supplies and with some of his things displayed. The artist's palette, he says, explains to everyone that the office is for art.
Attachments
art (1 of 1)-11.jpg
art (1 of 1)-10.jpg
art (1 of 1)-9.jpg

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:49 pm

Wow! I love that room. I can see why Jack calls it his Dream Room. That is a funny story about the recess punishment that is not a punishment!!! LOL

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:28 pm

More art from my gallery house.

A sketch done in the last part of the 1800s by someone named Anderson and given to me my the heirs of the owner when I was a teenager.

One of several watercolors done by my aunt in the 1930s when she was studying at Chicago Art Institute

Cut-paper art done by my cousin of her own clothesline, 10 yrs ago.
Attachments
B7F83FBD-A1EC-4030-BE26-582AEFD8AA88.jpeg
E5D97F03-03B0-4FF9-BC36-2B1592D1107F.jpeg
6449E0F4-F7DF-46F7-B718-E9C277034A20.jpeg

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:00 pm

Loving all of the art and thanks so much for sharing.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:41 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:00 pm
Loving all of the art and thanks so much for sharing.
And thank you for the inspiration! I hope others will share their own walls.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:25 pm

Some additional art from all around the house.

1 - A china bowl painted by my great grandmother's niece who was a china painter for Marshall Fields in Chicago during the 1890s - 1920s. Individually designed china pieces and sets, one-of-a-kind, were the vogue then.
2 - One of the first pastels my aunt did at Chicago Art Institute in the 1930s, water damaged but the framer worked with the damage to sort of make it part of the composition.
3 - The reporter who did the newspaper story on the house/gallery sits in front of this image viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3555 that you guys helped me develop. It won the "people" division of the state outdoor photo competition, and recently sold to an outdoor magazine for a center spread. The reporter, coincidentally, got her first job out of college working for my father when he was a newspaper editor, many eons ago.
Attachments
art (1 of 1)-18.jpg
art (1 of 1)-7.jpg
art (1 of 1)-4.jpg